Pages:
Author

Topic: Stablecoins are killing payment systems - page 2. (Read 232 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2013
December 13, 2023, 11:57:32 PM
You have to see who wrote this article: a stablecoin company. In other words, it can be biased but it's well documented.

It is surprising and hard to believe that:

However, I don't see their adoption growing that fast in the past years. Credit cards are still the number one option for me when paying something with fiat currencies.

You live in Brazil, don't you? Do you believe the quote I posted, which is based on a Mastercard study?

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
December 13, 2023, 11:42:45 PM
When people say payment systems, what comes to my mind is a service like BTCpayserver or something similar. If that's what is referred to here, I'd argue that they will likely adopt and accept stablecoin as a form of payment. I doubt businesses would ditch payment systems and build their own payment processor just because stablecoin makes it easier for customers to ditch cash.

In my area, digital payment has definitely become the norm, although it brings another form of inconvenience when the infrastructure doesn't fully support them. Slow internet access, poor back-end code that makes payment fail to be processed, etc. It will definitely get ironed out if stablecoin or a similar form of payment becomes popular.
copper member
Activity: 1988
Merit: 905
Part of AOBT - English Translator to Indonesia
December 13, 2023, 09:21:57 PM
To be honest, stablecoin is very easy to use and has cheap fees if you pay one person to another person "worldwide" it only costs you a network gas fee, and I always said maybe the adoption of crypto can start from accepting stablecoin in some merchant.

But what I am scared about stablecoin is a lot including de-pegged, the crazy amount of money that they mint, and the conspiracy theory too.  Grin Grin

But yeah I think this become one positive news.
Activity: 210
Merit: 0
December 13, 2023, 06:28:21 PM
No wonder. Stablecoins are very convenient to use in almost any country!
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
December 13, 2023, 06:14:10 PM
At this rate, in 5 years the whole world will be using stablecoins instead of payment systems.

I think stable coins are amazing for people who live in developing countries, where fiat is much worse than usd or euro.

as you mentioned they are making "significantly easier for people and businesses to move, store and own " usd around the world.

However, I don't see their adoption growing that fast in the past years. Credit cards are still the number one option for me when paying something with fiat currencies.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 4270
December 13, 2023, 04:14:24 PM
https://www.circle.com/executiveinsights/latam-fintech-companies-embrace-digital-finance
"Stablecoins and tokenized data on open blockchains are unleashing a new wave of global commerce, making it significantly easier for people and businesses to move, store and own value locally and around the world.
Last year(2022), global stablecoin settlement exceeded $7 trillion compared to $14 trillion settled at Visa and Mastercard.
Around the world, 1.7 billion people are underbanked, yet two-thirds of these people own a smartphone.4 Much as the original internet democratized access to information, public blockchains can turn these internet connected devices into compliant endpoints for both traditional finance and innovative new financial services that are completely disrupting traditional process and bureaucracy. "

At this rate, in 5 years the whole world will be using stablecoins instead of payment systems.
Pages:
Jump to: