Pages:
Author

Topic: Starting preliminary 0.94 testing - "Headless fullnode" - page 13. (Read 15098 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074
Whole thing crashes when scanning tx's. CPU/Memory usage goes vertical-ish.

Possibly the source of offence:
Code:
(python:3377): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_progress_configure: assertion `value >= min && value <= max' failed
Killed

Logs are otherwise uneventful

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1084
What does headless full node mean?  It just stores the UTXO data or just recent blocks?

[Edit]

On an unrelated topic, I tried to scan the QR code in the README and it doesn't scan with the bitcoin smartphone app.

It is like an extra "?" is added to the end.
Activity: 255
Merit: 250
Senior Developer - Armory
FWIW, I've been using 0.94 test builds on OS X for awhile now. They're definitely not perfect but they've been pretty good overall so far. It sure is nice to have a much smaller, faster DB. All hail goatpig. Smiley (Of course, my old one is backed up just in case. Make backups, lest ye tempt fate.) If you're a power user, you probably wouldn't want this as your daily driver. If you're curious or just use Armory once in awhile, I think it's okay to build this and use it for non-mission-critical tasks.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
So, preliminarily 0.94 has stabilized, but it hasn't seen much testing outside "the lab."  I would like to invite folks who can build, to checkout the ffreeze branch (feature-freeze) and try it out while we continue our internal testing.

https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/tree/ffreeze

++ In 0.94 the Armory home dir databases folder should now be less than 150 MB!  This is what we refer to as "headless fullnode"
-- All database formats have changed. You must rebuild your databases! (and we don't have a clean way to help the user transition from the GUI).

Therefore, to use/test 0.94, please change your datadir, dbdir, or delete the databases folder in the Armory home directory.  Though, you might want to just move the directory for the moment, in case you have to go back.  Luckily, since the new version uses so much less space, it's not a big deal to create another directory for it!

It's also is a heck of a lot faster to start up Armory the first time once Core is sync'd, since we're not building a 30+ GB database anymore.   It's called "headless fullnode" because it's the same as previous "fullnode" version of Armory, but without maintaining it's own copy of the blockchain (of course, if you run supernode it will maintain your 2x-3x sized DB, but that's not the default Armory mode).

Along with this, there's a ton of bug fixes and stability enhancements. We're looking forward to the database design finally settling down and stabilizing.

PLEASE checkout the ffreeze branch and help test!  Once we get a little bit more testing we'll do a semi-official testing release with a proper bug bounty!

Pages:
Jump to: