Pages:
Author

Topic: Steemit.com: Blogging is the new Mining - page 14. (Read 348384 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
January 10, 2019, 02:22:21 AM
How did the darkoverlord get banned? I though steemit was decentralized

Explained here along with alternate ways to access: https://www.reddit.com/r/steemit/comments/adkepr/steemit_has_censored_the_account_of/edj5tgt/

Steemit.com is a web site which views the blockchain not the blockchain itself.
Activity: 854
Merit: 262
January 09, 2019, 11:16:17 PM
How did the darkoverlord get banned? I though steemit was decentralized
Activity: 420
Merit: 0
Activity: 420
December 30, 2018, 11:05:30 PM
Great job keeping us notified Ned 👍
Activity: 494
Merit: 12
December 20, 2018, 05:01:47 PM

Thanks for keeping us posted.
Activity: 37
December 15, 2018, 02:40:42 PM
I like that Ned was honest.  He's working on something that he thinks is big, I hope it will be but I'm sure Steem will do well anyway.  I'll just carry on playing Steem Monsters until this bear market is over Smiley

And his honesty make him gone MIA for 2 weeks  and still missing  Cheesy gl with that
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1010
December 13, 2018, 03:37:59 AM
hi guys, wonder if u could help me, basically trying to sync chain from scratch,, using steemd --replay-blockchain (I have downloaded block_log) it all was going fairly fast but now it jut makes 1% progress a day, so 67.3203%   18900000 of 28074743   (37052M free) and tomorrow if I will be lucky it will be 69% and so forth , does anyone know of better (I have also followed best practice to sync, inc just witness plugin) and some unix i/o tweaks as recommended

a! and yes love what has been done with steem, very innovative platform on all levels, was actually one of the first that mined it, and have 0 intention to part with it cheers

How much memory do you have and HDD or SSD?

You need 64 GB to run a node with only witness plugin at full speed (should finish replay in several hours depending on CPU speed). 32 GB + SSD is somewhat slower but not bad, but less memory and/or HDD means performance goes down from there, potentially a lot.

Work is planned to reduce the memory requirements of nodes but not done yet.

thank you so much for the response, have HDD and 32G , so this explains, I can also access and did public node, but I think all would prefer more active nodes around, great to know you are working to improve codebase so this will go towards

love your work! and believe I interacted with you way back when you all started!
legendary
December 10, 2018, 01:11:46 AM
hi guys, wonder if u could help me, basically trying to sync chain from scratch,, using steemd --replay-blockchain (I have downloaded block_log) it all was going fairly fast but now it jut makes 1% progress a day, so 67.3203%   18900000 of 28074743   (37052M free) and tomorrow if I will be lucky it will be 69% and so forth , does anyone know of better (I have also followed best practice to sync, inc just witness plugin) and some unix i/o tweaks as recommended

a! and yes love what has been done with steem, very innovative platform on all levels, was actually one of the first that mined it, and have 0 intention to part with it cheers

How much memory do you have and HDD or SSD?

You need 64 GB to run a node with only witness plugin at full speed (should finish replay in several hours depending on CPU speed). 32 GB + SSD is somewhat slower but not bad, but less memory and/or HDD means performance goes down from there, potentially a lot.

Work is planned to reduce the memory requirements of nodes but not done yet.
December 06, 2018, 06:56:46 PM
It’s a huge disappointment, I was convinced that steemit would be one of the strongest during a bear market but I was wrong.
Activity: 602
Merit: 250
December 06, 2018, 04:23:54 PM
Now mining is losing money and no one knows when the situation will change for the better. We wait and believe.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1010
December 06, 2018, 09:35:48 AM
hi guys, wonder if u could help me, basically trying to sync chain from scratch,, using steemd --replay-blockchain (I have downloaded block_log) it all was going fairly fast but now it jut makes 1% progress a day, so 67.3203%   18900000 of 28074743   (37052M free) and tomorrow if I will be lucky it will be 69% and so forth , does anyone know of better (I have also followed best practice to sync, inc just witness plugin) and some unix i/o tweaks as recommended

Activity: 42
Merit: 6
December 04, 2018, 06:41:45 PM
While it is sad when anyone loses their job, I think this is a good move for Steemit Inc and the entire ecosystem overall.

70% sounds like a lot. If you have 10 developers most likely 3 of them are the most talented and generate the most productivity. Lean startups run better and smarter. Trimming down your unneeded AWS usage shows you care about getting your house in order.

Activity: 644
Merit: 18
EXIP A Decentralized Domain & Top-level domain ser
December 03, 2018, 06:12:13 PM
Ned Scott, CEO of Steemit, announced that it is laying off approximately 70% of its employees. This step was taken in connection with the weakening of crypto prices that occurred lately.

It seems the market crash is affecting almost all projects in a negative manner. Personally I support their project and enjoy their blog platform, hopefully they will continue running and improving it.

This is really sad news ... a bear market forces so many projects to suspend their work and it is very sad to see how btc affects the world of startups.
Activity: 494
Merit: 12
December 01, 2018, 12:58:31 PM
Ned Scott, CEO of Steemit, announced that it is laying off approximately 70% of its employees. This step was taken in connection with the weakening of crypto prices that occurred lately.

It seems the market crash is affecting almost all projects in a negative manner. Personally I support their project and enjoy their blog platform, hopefully they will continue running and improving it.
Activity: 250
Merit: 101
December 01, 2018, 05:03:58 AM
Here's some good news.  I like the Partiko app, its growing very fast.  Anything that makes using Steem easy on mobile phones has to be a good thing https://busy.org/@partiko/partiko-weekly-report-11--mainstream-partiko-on-forbes-uvbdayjt
legendary
December 01, 2018, 02:33:35 AM
That's actually a pretty bad and scary news. I have never heard any legit blockchain project laying off 70% of their project, especially when there is so much to develop. Ned says the company doesn't have enough money to even handle nodes. That sounds like they are in deep water now. SMT which was supposed to be their main booster for "to the moon" and adoption has also been delayed for who knows how long. But the thing that surprises me is that how they didn't make the most of during the bull run in Q1-Q2 this year.

Let's see how this one goes.

1. The blockchain developers didn't get laid off.
2. They have $30 million worth of STEEM left in public company accounts. https://steemit.com/@steemit/transfers https://steemit.com/@steem/transfers https://steemit.com/@misterdelegation/transfers
3. Costs apparently got out of way out of control due to being overly optimistic about high crypto prices earlier this year and having lofty goals. Not so good, but good that they caught it before all the funds were gone and decided to downsize
4. Nodes were very expensive, costing them $2 million/year. They are working on optimizing the costs. Plus really they should encourage other people to run their own nodes. I've never heard of another project that pays for everyone else's node.

I bet a lot of cryptos are in a similar position but they're less open about it.

Pretty sure you are right.

One good thing is that they wont have to keep selling Steem to pay all those staff.  I'm sure that's been one of the reasons why Steem has fallen further than some coins.

Agree, but remember there is still the other 30% and still a lot of non-employee costs (office, travel, legal, operations for the web site, etc.)
November 30, 2018, 07:16:52 PM
That's actually a pretty bad and scary news. I have never heard any legit blockchain project laying off 70% of their project, especially when there is so much to develop. Ned says the company doesn't have enough money to even handle nodes. That sounds like they are in deep water now. SMT which was supposed to be their main booster for "to the moon" and adoption has also been delayed for who knows how long. But the thing that surprises me is that how they didn't make the most of during the bull run in Q1-Q2 this year.

I bet a lot of cryptos are in a similar position but they're less open about it.  Steemit Inc. isn't Steem.  Ned doesn't fill me with confidence but there's a huge community using the Steem blockchain and I think they will make sure that the problems with Steemit Inc. wont harm Steem.  If Steemit Inc. just concentrate on SMT's, it might not take that long, as a lot of the work is already done.  One good thing is that they wont have to keep selling Steem to pay all those staff.  I'm sure that's been one of the reasons why Steem has fallen further than some coins.
Activity: 952
Merit: 284
In love with Bitcoin!! 💓💕
November 30, 2018, 12:21:49 PM

November 29, 2018, 11:59:26 AM
I like that Ned was honest.  He's working on something that he thinks is big, I hope it will be but I'm sure Steem will do well anyway.  I'll just carry on playing Steem Monsters until this bear market is over Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: