Pages:
Author

Topic: Steve Wozniak Sues YouTube Over Twitter-Like Bitcoin Scam - page 3. (Read 462 times)

legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145
he notified them multiple times that some channels are running a scam, they are using his name, his face, his reputation and they didn't do anything. And at the same time, they are deleting videos with more than 5 seconds from a movie trailer or 10 seconds from an open air concert, they will have no defense since their mechanism should have instantly flagged all that content showing him

I believe it's all automated these days and only videos with huge numbers of human reports might get reviewed by a human. This is how they do these 5 second deletions, demonetization of anything featuring a swastika, etc. But the last time they tried to fight crypto scams, people were crying about censorhip and how evil Google hates crypto.

Google really needs to roll out some algorithms for detecting crypto scams, train a neural network or something, but maybe they are ignoring it because it's a low priority compared to other issues. Maybe this legal case will make them move in that direction. Especially if other people will join, because Wozniak isn't the only one who gets his image used by scammers.
Activity: 90
Merit: 1
he notified them multiple times that some channels are running a scam, they are using his name, his face, his reputation and they didn't do anything. And at the same time, they are deleting videos with more than 5 seconds from a movie trailer or 10 seconds from an open air concert, they will have no defense since their mechanism should have instantly flagged all that content showing him

While this would be the best case scenario by a long shot, let's see, youtube has their own cards they can play, we know it's all negligence but the final call is had inside a court and common sense is not guaranteed. Just think of the pedophile videos that have been posted for years on both youtube and instagram and nothing is being done about it Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353
They shouldn't wait for this kind of action for Steve et al, it's obvious that they are slacking here with hundreds of Bitcoin scam running at this very moment. And you can't really understand why would Youtube can't cope up with this videos spreading like wild fire and it seems they are helping those scammers in some way?

Last December they did a full sweep and remove all related crypto channels. So it can really be done, and I think Steve is doing the right thing here, to call their attention again and don't like this scam flourish on their platform.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597
I mean, Google does deserve a little slap in the face for the way they were unable to manage these fake Bitcoin ads and giveaways for so long already. I've been saying it so many times: it's almost as if they really want these scams to be around. AI or not, I think at this point it's quite obvious there's a need for human manual verification of Google Ads containing keywords such as "Bitcoin" and "cryptocurrencies" for example. I doubt there are so many legit requests for Google Ads they wouldn't be able to handle them. Most YT "giveaways" have very similar keywords that could be filtered out. A channel that never had a Bitcoin video on it could be flagged as suspicious, for example.
Activity: 2968
Merit: 600
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
It seems that even Steve is the one reporting it, YouTube hasn't taken any action. I thought that they'll do an action if it's coming from someone prominent. YouTube has to set standards for their ads and review it at least before allowing it to be broadcasted.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1655
It's right time everyone step up against these scammers, the blame should be vented on YouTube for their negligence towards swinging into action when reports were made by Steve Wozniak. Does this mean that, YouTube are also hiding something from us? Maybe they should tell us what they know about series of scammed that has taken place in their platform. How could someone made reports about his reputation be touted and still no action was done to Savage the situation.

Negligence would be the appropriate word, as we all know, they really have relax policy on fake giveaways using Steve or Elon Musk and others photos or videos and most of the time they are late in taking down the videos as it has already scammed a lot of people. I remember one Elon Musk fake giveaways, who stayed in Youtube and they taken it down two hours later, but the scammer have run more than $200k already. They should take notice of this alarming number of scammers in their platform.
Activity: 258
Merit: 32
It's right time everyone step up against these scammers, the blame should be vented on YouTube for their negligence towards swinging into action when reports were made by Steve Wozniak. Does this mean that, YouTube are also hiding something from us? Maybe they should tell us what they know about series of scammed that has taken place in their platform. How could someone made reports about his reputation be touted and still no action was done to Savage the situation.
Activity: 1260
Merit: 21
yeah, I think he is doing the right thing, because this can lead to many people getting scam on behalf of his name, some innocent people will think he is the one behind it not knowing it is the work of scammers,
I wonder how youtube can allow such a thing, they should have known the danger of this knd of action.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023
I think Youtube should step up and better police their service with this rampant fake giveaways promoted on their platform. It's about time, specially on what had happen to Twitter in recent days.
If you look at their policies they are very strict with certain political statements and they will delete the videos in seconds but you can find scam promotions without any issues and it is a good step taken by Steve Wozniak as they should delete these scam promotion like they censor other contents and the scammers are making a good run with the platform for a long time and even if we report them rarely do they delete the contents.

legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Blackjack.fun
I wonder if Elon Musk and Co will try to sue Twitter over the previous hacks too.

That's a different case, they can sue Twitter for the security breach but it will be a real debate if Twitter as a company is actually at fault here, since they claim their staff was the target of a social engineering attack, so they could get away blaming others.

For the Wozniak case, it's straight sailing:
YouTube has been “unresponsive” to Wozniak’s repeated requests to take down the fraudulent videos, he said.
Activity: 112
Merit: 17
I wonder if Elon Musk and Co will try to sue Twitter over the previous hacks too. As for Steve, I think this could be positive in the long run. I mean, the blame again goes to the provider Youtube, not to Bitcoin. As far as I remember Wozniak always has been a supporter of Bitcoin movement so I doubt bad intentions towards cryptos. Beside all that, I also think the fact that it gets media coverage is good and to put the finger on youtube and not let them get away could be benefitial as well for Youtube users later on.
Activity: 490
Merit: 31
There is gold in volatility..
Steve Wozniak Sues YouTube Over Twitter-Like Bitcoin Scam

Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Wozniak says YouTube has for months allowed scammers to use his name and likeness as part of a phony bitcoin giveaway similar to the one that was quickly extinguished by Twitter Inc. last week.

Scammers used images and video of Wozniak, who left Apple in 1985, to convince YouTube users that he was hosting a live giveaway and anyone who sent him bitcoins will get double the number back, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in state court in San Mateo County, California. “But when users transfer their cryptocurrency, in an irreversible transaction, they receive nothing back.”

The scam also uses the names and images of other tech celebrities, including Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates and Tesla Inc. Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk, according to the suit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-23/steve-wozniak-sues-youtube-over-twitter-like-bitcoin-scam

Steve W. is not the first high profile personalities that sue Youtube over this scam. Brad Garlinghouse of XRP, https://fortune.com/2020/04/21/ripple-sues-youtube-scam-videos-crypto-garlinghouse/.

I think Youtube should step up and better police their service with this rampant fake giveaways promoted on their platform. It's about time, specially on what had happen to Twitter in recent days.

This is a bad news for both YouTube and bitcoin. Google should evolve with new regulations to protect similar occurrence in the future.

This might affect the increase in adoption of bitcoin and other altcoins.
Activity: 2814
Merit: 574
Steve Wozniak Sues YouTube Over Twitter-Like Bitcoin Scam

Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Wozniak says YouTube has for months allowed scammers to use his name and likeness as part of a phony bitcoin giveaway similar to the one that was quickly extinguished by Twitter Inc. last week.

Scammers used images and video of Wozniak, who left Apple in 1985, to convince YouTube users that he was hosting a live giveaway and anyone who sent him bitcoins will get double the number back, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in state court in San Mateo County, California. “But when users transfer their cryptocurrency, in an irreversible transaction, they receive nothing back.”

The scam also uses the names and images of other tech celebrities, including Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates and Tesla Inc. Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk, according to the suit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-23/steve-wozniak-sues-youtube-over-twitter-like-bitcoin-scam

Steve W. is not the first high profile personalities that sue Youtube over this scam. Brad Garlinghouse of XRP, https://fortune.com/2020/04/21/ripple-sues-youtube-scam-videos-crypto-garlinghouse/.

Pages:
Jump to: