Pages:
Author

Topic: Storing money on Smartphone is far more secure than desktop or laptop - page 5. (Read 9344 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪
The thing is that phones can be lost, robbed, broken more frequently than a Desktop. It is more a safety thing than a security thing I think.

I agree with that. In fact, my old iphone 4 stopped charging some days ago. There I had two factor authentication for some accounts with bitcoin online. Fortunately, I got to change the authentication before the phone died. I would have likely lost access to the coins if I had not realized about the phone not charging.

Not very secure.
Activity: 254
Merit: 1258
There is no such thing as a secure smartphone. You should never keep more bitcoin on your phone than you are prepared to lose. The only exception would be to use Mycelium on an Android phone that supports USB Host (not all do) and use a Trezor to sign transactions. That way your private keys never touch the phone. If your phone cannot work with Trezor just use the Trezor with your laptop and send bitcoin to your phone as needed for shopping.
Like I said in the earlier post you can have a secure phone wallet, it is as simple as buying a prepaid phone, sideload electrum apk and make sure it is never on the network or wifi until ready to clear funds. 20$ easy, quick, reusable paper wallet.
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
In XEM we trust
I don't agree with the sentence "Storing money on Smartphone is far more secure than desktop or laptop" just because 1 reason, let forgotten your smarthphone anywhere or stole it, is by far more easy than a laptop/desktop.

Is by far less secure?, no, but as i said is more easy stolen your money from smartphones.
This

Apple and android have zero-day exploits available to few people as well. Who knows what could be done with these exploits.
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
in the end, you only find the beginning
I don't agree with the sentence "Storing money on Smartphone is far more secure than desktop or laptop" just because 1 reason, let forgotten your smarthphone anywhere or stole it, is by far more easy than a laptop/desktop.

Is by far less secure?, no, but as i said is more easy stolen your money from smartphones.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
alot of you are talking about data security of the apps and less ability to receive trojans on a iphone..

but putting the app/OS security to one side.. alot of you are forgetting one important thing..

most phone apps are just glorified browsers which contain no privkey or tx signing within the phone. as the privkeys are located on a server belonging to the app's creators..
and i think that not have sole control of the privkey is the main reason to only store 'pocket money amounts' on an address.
Activity: 350
This is nonsense. You have way more chances of losing your phone as in physically losing it because of a mistake, than getting your Bitcoin hacked on a desktop given that you are taking some really basic security measures. Just download anything strange and don't visit strange webpages and that's all.

Your phone is just like your wallet in your backpocket, so many people have a wallet with lots of cash, credit/debit cards in their wallet. Just because its easier for people to steal your wallet doesnt mean i have to suddenly leave my wallet at home and only buy things from home, thats doesnt make sense at all. Just like people taking their wallet with them they can do the same with their phone. Not to mention a phone is much more secured than a wallet. The future is mobile payments anyway.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1012
If you visit any got websites and run unknown programs that there is no difference where to lose your money on your smartphone or laptop  Grin
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
This is nonsense. You have way more chances of losing your phone as in physically losing it because of a mistake, than getting your Bitcoin hacked on a desktop given that you are taking some really basic security measures. Just download anything strange and don't visit strange webpages and that's all.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
There is no such thing as a secure smartphone. You should never keep more bitcoin on your phone than you are prepared to lose. The only exception would be to use Mycelium on an Android phone that supports USB Host (not all do) and use a Trezor to sign transactions. That way your private keys never touch the phone. If your phone cannot work with Trezor just use the Trezor with your laptop and send bitcoin to your phone as needed for shopping.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR
This is very misguided, first of all, WHAT smarthphone, android is far less secure than ios. Windows hoever, you'll know for sure that you lose your coins...
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Yes, I guess you can say that. Today it is still more secure to store digital currency in your smartphone. But in a near future smartphones will be the main target of hacker attacks to steal all sort of of precious information. That day, not even 2FA will save you!
The thing is that phones can be lost, robbed, broken more frequently than a Desktop. It is more a safety thing than a security thing I think.

Exactly this. No matter how safe you coins on your Smartphone are if you just lose your smartphone. Same goes for laptops btw. That's why I prefer a trusted online wallet.
OTG cable with trezor while using the smartphone to send the transactions seems safe. Keep the trezor hooked onto your keys possibly.
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Of course a mobile wallet developers would say it's most secure on a phone. But I think that's totally wrong. It may be more convenient but by default it is not more secure - as others said it comes with a whole new layer of insecurity that is carrying it physically. Using best practices it could maybe be considered just as secure on phone or desktop but to assume best practices is wrong.
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
But you have to also have a pass/fingerprint - code on your phone, because if it is stolen or lost, the security wont matter. Other than that, it is true that there are less viruses for phones, especially iOS phones.
Activity: 256
CSGOBetGuide.com - Esports Gambling List

Exactly this. No matter how safe you coins on your Smartphone are if you just lose your smartphone. Same goes for laptops btw. That's why I prefer a trusted online wallet.
That is so much less secure than either of the two you just mentioned. The most secure is to use a hardware wallet. Having the wallet on a desktop is still very secure, much more so than on a phone and much much more so than an online wallet.
I think iPhones are safer than desktop and Android less safe, majority of comments here are about Androids, with iOS you are pretty good secured. If u want to access to my phone u have to cut off my finger to even access my phone not to mention passcode for spending my btc, so until you have spend the time to even access my phone, i have transferred my funds somewhere else.
You do realize that fingerprints are EASILY fooled right?

http://www.welivesecurity.com/2014/12/29/biometrics-can-fingerprint-copied-normal-photo/

Passcodes? Ha seriously dude if you think they are physically going for your phone that's not the type of hack, that and a majority of powerusers are all jailbroken it brings them into the same security issue as Android.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2112
I stand with Ukraine.

Activity: 256
CSGOBetGuide.com - Esports Gambling List
I think iPhones are safer than desktop and Android less safe, majority of comments here are about Androids, with iOS you are pretty good secured. If u want to access to my phone u have to cut off my finger to even access my phone not to mention passcode for spending my btc, so until you have spend the time to even access my phone, i have transferred my funds somewhere else.
First of all, fingerprint sensors are easily fooled. Secondly, they don't even need your fingerprint. They can just enter the backup password to access your phone. Same goes for androids. And getting the passcode for your wallet might be different, but it will be the same difficulty for both android and iphones. Even so, you could still end up downloading a virus to either type of phone since they are both vulnerable, and that could steal your Bitcoin too.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
I think this is a reckless statement to make... Most people do not even run anti-virus software on their smartphones and they install any crap possible on there.. clicking through the

options, without even reading what they saw there. I bet you, if someone sneaked a option in there to allow anyone to read all their text messages and access their whole gallery and

listen in on their phone calls, they would not pick it up.... Just include it with some Cool App or cute game, and they will click through it like a hot knife through butter. People are quite

ignorant, when it comes down to the technical things.  Roll Eyes
It's most likely the opposite. People have no idea how to keep their desktops/laptops secure and it is much worse then it comes to the mobile area where apps can have access to almost everything. Another problems would be apps that carry hard to remove exploits (tends to happen in android). It is not possible for a smartphone to be safer than a Linux machine solely dedicated for a wallet, running behind a hardware firewall.
Well a while ago I was talking about using an android phone as a secure wallet, it can be done and cheaply.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-Samsung-Galaxy-Ace-Style-S765C-Prepaid-Smartphone/36202742#about
20$, dual core, has a microsd slot. All you would need to do is not use it as a phone, sideload a secure electrum apk, generate a wallet and send your coins to it. Using it as a secure wallet and only using a known wifi to send funds off and resetting it.
Pages:
Jump to: