Pages:
Author

Topic: Submerge your rigs in liquid - page 2. (Read 14833 times)

Activity: 206
Merit: 100
Mostly Harmless...
November 02, 2012, 05:28:41 PM
wish the ground wasn't volcanic rock here, I'd love to be able to dump excess heat into it. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
November 02, 2012, 04:22:00 PM
See this post here, and read the following conversation: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--7216

The end result was that while oil can work amazing for gaming, where you're not dumping a lot of heat into it 24/7, it's not the best idea for miners. It will initially (first 12 hours) keep your GPUs very cool, but once the oil heats up, it's very hard to cool the oil (and the system) back down.

That's only 1 view, with 1 person who didn't do anything different. There are a bunch of creative ways to cool it down.

Edit: A pipe going out a window, buried into the ground, mixing around with ground water. Free after you buy the copper pipe.

Funny you should bring this idea up Farlack,me & my brother have a system we're working on right now to eliminate the coil from your A/C condensor by running sealed copper tubing/pipes into the ground to dissipate the heat.Just getting BTU #'s now with a window unit,but its looking promising for existing units up to 5 tons for residential systems.

The main benefit we're pushing is coils are the main thing to fail due to corrosion in seaside homes,in ground copper will elimate that failure point & last almost forever & remove that unsightly outdoor condensor from view  Grin
Activity: 991
Merit: 500
November 02, 2012, 03:34:44 PM
Submerging your gear in oil actually works pretty well.  But there's one downside.  Forget about ever salvaging or reselling that gear.  Once you dip that stuff in mineral oil, you will never get it all off.

Thanks, I never knew that. Do you guys think mineral water could cool a card as powerful as a 7970? Or will it overheat?
Activity: 196
November 01, 2012, 02:49:01 AM
Arklone.
Activity: 206
Mostly Harmless...
November 01, 2012, 02:36:53 AM
Submerging your gear in oil actually works pretty well.  But there's one downside.  Forget about ever salvaging or reselling that gear.  Once you dip that stuff in mineral oil, you will never get it all off.

i've read that thpse novec products can also be used as cleaning solutions, so they'll get rid of most of the oil.  pricey way to clean stuff, though.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
November 01, 2012, 01:32:41 AM
Activity: 196
November 01, 2012, 12:05:40 AM
See this post here, and read the following conversation: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--7216

The end result was that while oil can work amazing for gaming, where you're not dumping a lot of heat into it 24/7, it's not the best idea for miners. It will initially (first 12 hours) keep your GPUs very cool, but once the oil heats up, it's very hard to cool the oil (and the system) back down.

That's only 1 view, with 1 person who didn't do anything different. There are a bunch of creative ways to cool it down.

Edit: A pipe going out a window, buried into the ground, mixing around with ground water. Free after you buy the copper pipe.

This is illegal in many countries, you are not allowed to contaminate the ground water, it needs to be a 'closed' system.
I.E, one coil for the ground water in/out  a separate coil for the cooling/heating circuit.

such a system costs several KW a day to run.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
October 20, 2012, 10:10:06 AM
Ohhh I want to play with novec Smiley

But it's not cheap and not realy healthy ....

You have to build a competely sealed container for the computer so it doesn't evaporate.

One thing on oil rigs:

The one from puget systems ,.... If u install a GPU with a standard ati heatsink. It would pump the oil out of the aquarium. If the fan is strong enough u get a decent "oil" fountain.....:d

Quite messy setup :/

Activity: 420
October 20, 2012, 01:35:51 AM
That's why you cool the oil, there are many different ways you can do it, and off the top of my head..

Hook a heatsink to frigerator coils.
Hook a heatsink that's buried into the ground.
Hook a heatsink thats connected to a pool.

Where I live, you dig 2 feet down and you're at water. A free source of heat dispersion.

Anywhere on earth - at some distance underground you'll hit a stable region (usually around 6 to 10 feet) where you have a temp in the high 60s. No reason you couldn't passive cool an oil system by burying micro tubes. keep your pumps above ground. There are home heating/cooling systems using commercial heat exchange systems for houses... but I'm sure someone could come up with a DIY solution.
Activity: 240
October 19, 2012, 02:04:31 PM

+1. That's a clever concept, keeping the fluid circulating without a fan or pumps.
More than clever. It's not simple immersion cooling, it's evaporative cooling: any component reaching the boiling point of the liquid (34C in this case) will cause the liquid to boil. Heat of evaporation takes away all the heat from that point on, it's almost impossible to go above 34 C in this case. Most of vapor is then condensed at the heat exchanger, and recycled into the system. This heat exchanger is likely the most problematic part: it's got to be able to dissipate heat into the surroundings at the rate sufficient to keep the hot side below boiling point of the liquid.

Yeah, that's what's most clever about this.  Obviously oil has a very high boiling point.  Even water is 100c, which is far too hot to run a computer.  This Novec 7000 stuff seems to be a perfect liquid for cooling via submersion.  As long as you can keep it from escaping when it evaporates, you're good to go.  In fact, according to this data sheet, you could refrigerate the Novec 7000 to well below freezing (for water).  It seems like something that would be fun for extreme overclockers to play around with.

EDIT: Apparently they're already starting to use this stuff in data centers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3gCavl2Y6U
legendary
Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000
October 19, 2012, 12:39:34 PM

+1. That's a clever concept, keeping the fluid circulating without a fan or pumps.
More than clever. It's not simple immersion cooling, it's evaporative cooling: any component reaching the boiling point of the liquid (34C in this case) will cause the liquid to boil. Heat of evaporation takes away all the heat from that point on, it's almost impossible to go above 34 C in this case. Most of vapor is then condensed at the heat exchanger, and recycled into the system. This heat exchanger is likely the most problematic part: it's got to be able to dissipate heat into the surroundings at the rate sufficient to keep the hot side below boiling point of the liquid.

Good luck trying to use it in warm climate like where i live, +36ºC all year long. it would be interesting to see a Pressure-Temperature diagram of the stuff.

If you're running a server or many rigs, or any rig at all, you probably have the air conditioner on?
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
October 19, 2012, 12:27:30 PM
Good luck trying to use it in warm climate like where i live, +36ºC all year long. it would be interesting to see a Pressure-Temperature diagram of the stuff.
There are numerous liquids available, with varying boiling points. A liquid needs to be electrically insulating, inert/non-corrosive, stable, non-toxic, and boiling point should be above your ambient temperature and less or equal to the maximum desired temperature of your components.
Activity: 303
October 19, 2012, 12:05:12 PM

Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
October 19, 2012, 04:12:18 AM

Activity: 250
October 19, 2012, 03:26:39 AM
How about the mineral oil itself and the Novec 7000? Can those fluids be recycled? That's a major factor before adopting IMO.
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
October 18, 2012, 11:15:48 PM
It still gets hot... Think of it like a deep fryer,

Yet, another use for GPU's, Turkey fryer. Smiley

You can also fry your hands with 'gaming' laptops  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1002
Bitcoin
October 18, 2012, 11:10:47 PM

Very impressive !  Thanks for sharing..

As for HDD now turning to SSD, I think the future is no moving/mechanical part at all... very interesting tech !

Imagine what tech will be availlable in the future Smiley
Activity: 476
Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.
October 18, 2012, 07:53:57 PM
I've recently got my HTPC and FPGA Mining Rig stable enough I don't feel the need to constantly tweak it and went ahead and did exactly what I had always planned for it. Oil Submerged it in a thin framed glass fish tank, it looks beautiful. Still tweaking, but once it's finished I'll remember to take pictures to show it off.
legendary
Activity: 1311
October 18, 2012, 07:46:31 PM
When I was running all five of my singles here, the electrical costs were more than $400 a month.  If it cost $1,000 for a passive cooling setup, which would drop that to $200 or less a month, it'd pay for itself within five months.  Looking good while it did that would be a bonus.

Awesome, thanks for posting some monthly electric costs.
Activity: 810
October 18, 2012, 07:22:43 PM
that stuff is really expensive.....  Smiley

+1
Pages:
Jump to: