Pages:
Author

Topic: Submerge your rigs in liquid - page 3. (Read 14833 times)

Activity: 206
Merit: 100
Mostly Harmless...
October 18, 2012, 07:19:40 PM
When I was running all five of my singles here, the electrical costs were more than $400 a month.  If it cost $1,000 for a passive cooling setup, which would drop that to $200 or less a month, it'd pay for itself within five months.  Looking good while it did that would be a bonus.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
October 18, 2012, 07:13:38 PM
Doesn't seem worth the expensive.. now.. oil cooled asics... hrm might be an idea!
Mostly Harmless...
October 18, 2012, 07:08:36 PM
Yeah, it's definitely a high-ticket item, but my concerns when I was coming up with this were:

Power Consumption - I pay on average $0.36 per kwh, so with the cost of running both the singles and keeping them cool, is ridiculous.

Corrosion/Humidity - I live near the ocean, so I worry about the lifespan of the devices with all the humidity and salt in the air.

How cool it looks - If it's going on my desk, I don't want a bird nest of wires, components and junk.  I want it to look good.
legendary
Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000
October 18, 2012, 06:12:47 PM
that stuff is really expensive.....  Smiley

I only found 1 posting online from 2 years ago saying $350/gallon
Maybe the price has changed a bit, but this would still be awesome to have for someone who has dozens of rigs going.
They would obviously be able to afford it, and the energy savings alone would be great.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
October 18, 2012, 05:34:21 PM
that stuff is really expensive.....  Smiley
Mostly Harmless...
October 18, 2012, 05:30:12 PM
I've been messing with the idea of making a cooling setup that uses Novec 7000 for my SC Singles (Gallery here).

It's still a work in progress.  I'd shelved it after I'd heard that the new ASICs should be much more heat-tolerant, but recently there have been talks that they can be overclocked, so I am thinking about putting it together again.
donator
Activity: 213
October 18, 2012, 05:04:52 PM

+1. That's a clever concept, keeping the fluid circulating without a fan or pumps.
Activity: 240
Merit: 250
Mostly Harmless...
October 18, 2012, 04:26:16 PM
Activity: 210
October 18, 2012, 03:46:33 PM
really cool but i agree about things getting messy
donator
Activity: 213
October 18, 2012, 02:47:15 PM
What's the point, if you're still gonna use NINE(!) 12cm case fans? Why not just watercool, as  any noise advantage is not thrown right out the window.

Perhaps this might be the point, at least from a data center's perspective:

And the technology is incredibly effective. Patterson said that whereas traditional air-cooled server racks often operate at a Power Usage Effectiveness rating of about 1.6 (meaning cooling tacks on a 60 percent increase over the power needed power the servers' computing workloads), Intel's oil-immersed servers were operating at a PUE between 1.02 and 1.03. It's possible to achieve similarly low PUE ratings with traditional air- and liquid-cooling methods, Patterson said, but getting there can require some serious engineering effort and cost a lot of money.
legendary
Activity: 952
October 18, 2012, 02:40:55 PM

What's the point, if you're still gonna use NINE(!) 12cm case fans? Why not just watercool, as  any noise advantage is not thrown right out the window.
legendary
October 18, 2012, 02:37:56 PM
Oil submersion isn't a good idea for anyone that knows how physics actually works.  They think "oh wow, there's this huuuuge amount of thermal capacity in that oil!  That'll work great!"  Well guess what, after a certain amount of time it heats up.  All that massive capacity changes is the amount of time it takes to get to max temperature!  So 2 weeks later, it's hot!  You still need a cooling system to cool the oil and that's much harder than air or water.  Otherwise your cooling is the surface area of the oil touching the air with no movement and no radiator of any sort.  That's not good.  You'd be better off with air at that point.

I believe thermal conduction is thermal conductivity times surface area times temperature differential.  So if you have a copper fin cooler, that has insane total surface area.  It could seriously be 1 square meter if you were to spread it all out.  Then you have a fan forcing air through it so the temp difference is always virtually the same.  Also copper conducts heat better than oil.  So with an oil pool you've got like 1-2 square feet of surface area touching the air which is not moving over the oil so the temp difference is lower as the hot air rises slowly out of the way instead of blasting by with a fan, always feeding in new air.  It's a much worse system.

Did you not see my picture? You could even attach it to a refrigerator attach the coils that run thru the freezer.
Activity: 540
Merit: 500
COINDER
October 18, 2012, 10:29:26 AM
i just can get it why.. al the effort, it looks very COOL.. Cheesy   or combining two hobbies in one
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
October 18, 2012, 10:19:42 AM
Oil submersion isn't a good idea for anyone that knows how physics actually works.  They think "oh wow, there's this huuuuge amount of thermal capacity in that oil!  That'll work great!"  Well guess what, after a certain amount of time it heats up.  All that massive capacity changes is the amount of time it takes to get to max temperature!  So 2 weeks later, it's hot!  You still need a cooling system to cool the oil and that's much harder than air or water.  Otherwise your cooling is the surface area of the oil touching the air with no movement and no radiator of any sort.  That's not good.  You'd be better off with air at that point.

I believe thermal conduction is thermal conductivity times surface area times temperature differential.  So if you have a copper fin cooler, that has insane total surface area.  It could seriously be 1 square meter if you were to spread it all out.  Then you have a fan forcing air through it so the temp difference is always virtually the same.  Also copper conducts heat better than oil.  So with an oil pool you've got like 1-2 square feet of surface area touching the air which is not moving over the oil so the temp difference is lower as the hot air rises slowly out of the way instead of blasting by with a fan, always feeding in new air.  It's a much worse system.

Here you go http://www.pugetsystems.com/mineral-oil-pc.php Smiley

It also comes with a radiator in case you need it

And another one

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
October 18, 2012, 09:53:00 AM
I tried it with an old junk PC and a fish tank. It did work and was the quietest computer I ever had. Servicing it, however,  was as ugly as you would think.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
October 18, 2012, 09:19:05 AM
Oil submersion isn't a good idea for anyone that knows how physics actually works.  They think "oh wow, there's this huuuuge amount of thermal capacity in that oil!  That'll work great!"  Well guess what, after a certain amount of time it heats up.  All that massive capacity changes is the amount of time it takes to get to max temperature!  So 2 weeks later, it's hot!  You still need a cooling system to cool the oil and that's much harder than air or water.  Otherwise your cooling is the surface area of the oil touching the air with no movement and no radiator of any sort.  That's not good.  You'd be better off with air at that point.

I believe thermal conduction is thermal conductivity times surface area times temperature differential.  So if you have a copper fin cooler, that has insane total surface area.  It could seriously be 1 square meter if you were to spread it all out.  Then you have a fan forcing air through it so the temp difference is always virtually the same.  Also copper conducts heat better than oil.  So with an oil pool you've got like 1-2 square feet of surface area touching the air which is not moving over the oil so the temp difference is lower as the hot air rises slowly out of the way instead of blasting by with a fan, always feeding in new air.  It's a much worse system.
legendary
October 18, 2012, 09:09:22 AM
See this post here, and read the following conversation: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--7216

The end result was that while oil can work amazing for gaming, where you're not dumping a lot of heat into it 24/7, it's not the best idea for miners. It will initially (first 12 hours) keep your GPUs very cool, but once the oil heats up, it's very hard to cool the oil (and the system) back down.

That's only 1 view, with 1 person who didn't do anything different. There are a bunch of creative ways to cool it down.

Edit: A pipe going out a window, buried into the ground, mixing around with ground water. Free after you buy the copper pipe.
legendary
Activity: 916
Merit: 1003
October 18, 2012, 09:06:01 AM
Like any cooling system you have to remove the heat in some fashion.  For liquid cooling the warm liquid has to be pumped somewhere to cool, just like a car's radiator.
legendary
Activity: 952
October 18, 2012, 08:42:34 AM
See this post here, and read the following conversation: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--7216

The end result was that while oil can work amazing for gaming, where you're not dumping a lot of heat into it 24/7, it's not the best idea for miners. It will initially (first 12 hours) keep your GPUs very cool, but once the oil heats up, it's very hard to cool the oil (and the system) back down.
Pages:
Jump to: