Pages:
Author

Topic: [SUCCESS] 7 GPU Mining with Asrock H81 Pro BTC + PCIe Switch/Hub - page 2. (Read 29624 times)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0
Hi all

Because there is real problem on the market with mobos. H81, tb85, tb250 and other cheap mobos for mining always out of stock i was wandering maybe there is some chance to buy some normal mobo for around 50-60$ that has 2 or 3 pcie slot and use 3in1 pci hub for run 6 or 7 gpus on this mobos. Is it possible? And if yes someone can advice some cheap motherboard dor this job?
Activity: 372
Merit: 250
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom
the original PCIe expander hub you linked to is "no longer available" on Amazon.

There are others but their descriptions read like really badly translated Chinese to English.

Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/MonkeyJack-Express-Multiplier-Expander-Expansion/dp/B06ZYSCTW3/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493985960&sr=1-5&keywords=PCI-E+1X+1+to+3+Port+1X

and this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Mokao-PCI-e-Express-Switch-Multiplier/dp/B01LPIGJR8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493985960&sr=1-3&keywords=PCI-E+1X+1+to+3+Port+1X

What do you think? Do they look too sketchy?
Activity: 544
So what is the total cost of this project?

I forgot, everything was bought brand new right when the RX480 debut, so on the top of my head, each reference rx480 8gb costed about $230 (including tax), multiply by 7 GPU = $1610 just for the GPU's alone. The rest of the parts you can already know their prices since they are common parts used for mining rigs.
This was a fun project, but now I have to let it go, I posted this rig in the marketplace in case anyone is interested https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-complete-7-gpu-mining-rig-all-set-up-and-ready-to-mine-1900924
i have H81 BTC pro & 3in1 switch, but 7x RX 480 4GB nitro+ max (works fine full stable) 8 gpu black screen.

I wll wait your update Smiley

Yup, same results, try 8th GPU, no boot or post. So guessing 7 is max for Asrock H81 Pro BTC + PCIe Switch/Hub. There goes that.
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
i have H81 BTC pro & 3in1 switch, but 7x RX 480 4GB nitro+ max (works fine full stable) 8 gpu black screen.

I wll wait your update Smiley
Activity: 101
Merit: 10
Have you try 8 GPU?

I will give it a try later this week, have time finally to play around with it. I'll post updates on my findings to see if 8th GPU can mine without any special bios modding.

wow, i waiting for this xD
Have you try 8 GPU?

I will give it a try later this week, have time finally to play around with it. I'll post updates on my findings to see if 8th GPU can mine without any special bios modding.
Activity: 294
Have you try 8 GPU?
not work for me only 6 gpu read after run ddu in safe mode and already change to gen1

These are my BIOS settings, maybe give those a try:

http://imgur.com/a/0zVqw

Note: Make sure you enable onboard LAN, I disable mine on accident but forgot to take updated photos.

Side Note: There shouldn't be a problem. I was able to replicate this on 3 more rigs full of 7 GPU each all same parts. They are all using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition.
copper member
Activity: 416
Merit: 105
not work for me only 6 gpu read after run ddu in safe mode and already change to gen1
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
I am mining eth + decred on my 2gpu unit at the moment and was thinking about investing in more mining hardware, however after reading ETH was going POS soon I am a little nervous to do so. How do you guys feel about this change or will you just switch to a new altcoin?
Activity: 156
^^

Just wanted to ask same question...

Good job btw.
Activity: 385
does the 8th gpu work?
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
it's that use molex riser connector? if i use 6-pin riser connector it's same using this diagram of your setup?

can u give me some pict for your rig from PSU to riser?

Here's a diagram if you are use using 6 pin risers, the reason I choose this route is because I want minimum load on each wire to be safe to reduce heat/resistance in-cause of dual mining. Sidehack should be able to make all these cables if needed specifically for EVGA power supplies.

wow nice cabling, btw. have peripheral & SATA to 6-pin cable for riser?
I have no luck it does not work at home,

Claymore starts and recognizes my 7 gpu, but my driver 16.9.1 beug has claymore opencl.

Sad

this patch is for w10 ?

I use windows 7 x64, maybe give that a try.

it's that use molex riser connector? if i use 6-pin riser connector it's same using this diagram of your setup?

Here's a diagram if you are use using 6 pin risers, the reason I choose this route is because I want minimum load on each wire to be safe to reduce heat/resistance in-cause of dual mining. Sidehack should be able to make all these cables if needed specifically for EVGA power supplies.
Regarding cables:

Yes, I've always made cables. Been selling PSU breakout boards for a little over three years and they've always shipped with in-house-manufactured cables.

The cables I made for this build are 24" from EVGA 8-pin PCIe (and CPU) split to two PCIe 6+2. 18AWG wiring is necessary for doubling up in a pin (double 16AWG is too much wire for a solid reliable crimp) but that's still good for about 150W per end, meeting PCIe 8-pin spec.

Not sure if they're in use in this build but I also supplied some 6-pin to 4-Molex for riser power, plugging into the EVGA's SATA/RERP ports.

Yup, thanks for them. And yes, your cables are being used. Each riser and each GPU is independently powered from their own ports on the EVGA power supply, except for one port is powering 2 risers because of my 7 GPU set up (My powered risers are the 4 pin molex, I don't feel comfortable using those sata to molex adapters so I had sidehack make some molex ends for my PSU).

Here is a diagram of my setup in-case anyone else is interested:
(Note: Riser 5 is on a molex split because I needed a power source for my SSD.)

Activity: 487
Merit: 252
bou !
I have no luck it does not work at home,

Claymore starts and recognizes my 7 gpu, but my driver 16.9.1 beug has claymore opencl.

Sad

this patch is for w10 ?
Pages:
Jump to: