Pages:
Author

Topic: Support bitcoin.org SOPA blackout on 18 Jan - page 2. (Read 2948 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500
January 16, 2012, 09:41:26 PM
I say no.   I'm sure 99% of the people here already support the anti-SOPA movement and know what it is about.

It's the non-geek websites that need to go blackout.  Google, Facebook, and the like.  That will inform the uninformed.  Blacking out a page like bitcointalk does nothing, since we all already know about it.

did you mis-read the OP? bitcoin.org != bitcointalk
I did indeed misread.  Tongue

Still, I stand by my position.  MOST of the people visiting bitcoin.org will be either well-informed internet users who already know about SOPA, or people looking for information on Bitcoin.  Do we really want to turn people away from information about Bitcoin?  SOPA is important, but the big-name sites blacking out is what is going to make a difference, not places like bitcoin.org.

I would have to agree. It would appear the USA is taking a page out of China's playbook for controlling the internet. I wouldn't be surprised if our government up north in Canada has already done this seeing as they are so regressive.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
January 16, 2012, 09:30:42 PM
I say no.   I'm sure 99% of the people here already support the anti-SOPA movement and know what it is about.

It's the non-geek websites that need to go blackout.  Google, Facebook, and the like.  That will inform the uninformed.  Blacking out a page like bitcointalk does nothing, since we all already know about it.

I did indeed misread.  Tongue

Still, I stand by my position.  MOST of the people visiting bitcoin.org will be either well-informed internet users who already know about SOPA, or people looking for information on Bitcoin.  Do we really want to turn people away from information about Bitcoin?  SOPA is important, but the big-name sites blacking out is what is going to make a difference, not places like bitcoin.org.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
January 16, 2012, 09:29:10 PM

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
January 16, 2012, 09:25:32 PM

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
January 16, 2012, 09:05:25 PM
Nothing will happen unless you make some noise. Are you behind a blackout? SOPA/PIPA has ramifications to hurt bitcoin in a huge way. I myself am from the UK and US law affects me.

Below is the conversation so far on the bitcoin development mailing list.

---------------

Amir Taaki:
How is this not the most important world issue right now?

EVERYTHING is under threat. Go nuclear to show our nerd-rage.

Everybody blank your personal sites too. Americans, take to the streets. World, go scream at the US embassy.

------------------

Jeff Garzik
On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Amir Taaki <> wrote:
> How is this not the most important world issue right now?
>
> EVERYTHING is under threat. Go nuclear to show our nerd-rage.
>
> Everybody blank your personal sites too. Americans, take to the streets. World, go scream at the US embassy.

There are always issues that raise ire and moral outrage.  I would
rather that bitcoin.org stay apolitical -- our users will appreciate
this in the long run.

---------------------

Luke-Jr
On Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:37:05 PM Jeff Garzik wrote:
> There are always issues that raise ire and moral outrage.  I would
> rather that bitcoin.org stay apolitical -- our users will appreciate
> this in the long run.

I agree (with the conclusion). There are much more important and urgent
problems than SOPA/PIPA that we'd need to constantly 'blackout' if we did it
over every single problem.

---------------------

Wladimir
Internet censorship *is* a threat to bitcoin, if we don't stand up for our rights now we deserve anything that is coming. There will be no "long run".

----------------------

Gregory Maxwell
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Wladimir <> wrote:
> Internet censorship *is* a threat to bitcoin, if we don't stand up for our
> rights now we deserve anything that is coming. There will be no "long run".

Very few people actually care if they can load that particular URL ...
if you were talking about the forums it might matter more.  It also
might make sense to run some informative popup, except people are
going to be seeing them all over the internet on higher traffic sites.

E.g.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia_SOPA_Blackout_Design_%28derivative_A%29.png

---------------------

Wladimir
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Gregory Maxwell <> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Wladimir <> wrote:
    > Internet censorship *is* a threat to bitcoin, if we don't stand up for our
    > rights now we deserve anything that is coming. There will be no "long run".

Very few people actually care if they can load that particular URL ...
    if you were talking about the forums it might matter more.   It also
    might make sense to run some informative popup, except people are
    going to be seeing them all over the internet on higher traffic sites.

Agreed, a notice would be enough. No need to make the entire site inaccessible either.

Wladimir

---------------------

Amir Taaki

> There are always issues that raise ire and moral outrage.  I would
> rather that bitcoin.org stay apolitical -- our users will appreciate
> this in the long run.

Bunk argument. This is an issue that affects bitcoin directly.

Wikipedia has far more need to remain neutral and apolitical than bitcoin ever does- you've read Satoshi's politically charged whitepaper or seen the genesis block quote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Action

The Wikipedia community decided on a full and global blackout. Bitcoin should do the same in unison with the rest of the web- sites like Reddit, 4chan and Wikipedia.

It's funny / almost comical how you consign this to being just another issue or case of moral alarm. Sad.
Pages:
Jump to: