Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1688. (Read 3049501 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
September 10, 2013, 12:57:36 PM
hahaha, no....no Rpi... it has its own linux onboard, with GUI & ssl ...a pi would be useless..
but is does seem, the chips are in, and assembly & test has begun!!...!!..!!

Pi can run a "webserver" with SSL with no problem. 
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
September 10, 2013, 12:57:07 PM
The new.pics have the heatsinks mounted, which means the chips are under them. a 1/4 mounted alterra fpga would most likely damage the board if you tried to mount those heatsinks to them, so I'm saying, the real chips must be in, and in those pics.

And what would happen if the heatsinks were mounted on board without any chips?
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
September 10, 2013, 12:54:51 PM
hahaha, no....no Rpi... it has its own linux onboard, with GUI & ssl ...a pi would be useless..

I'm not sure how/why you believe a Pi would be useless..

I'm also not sure that chips are in, did they indicate otherwise?
What could the pi do that an onboard linux couldn't? That's why useless....
The new.pics have the heatsinks mounted, which means the chips are under them. a 1/4 mounted alterra fpga would most likely damage the board if you tried to mount those heatsinks to them, so I'm saying, the real chips must be in, and in those pics.

Maybe the "onboard linux" is an RPi? Also, the heatsinks could easily be mounted without the chips in place for product photography purposes.

You're jumping to conclusions - although I'd be very happy if you're right.  Grin
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
September 10, 2013, 12:51:30 PM
So I guess the corsair is quite a good choice:
* dedicated single +12V rail with user-configurable virtual "single rail" and "multi-rail" software modes
* features a massive 71.6 Amp (859.2 Watt) single +12V rail
* can also be configured as a multi-rail device with individual PCI-E over-current protection (OCP) trip points
=> http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/ax860i_technical_details/

"Probably".  The big unknown on any single rail PSU is what safety overcurrent protection is set to.  Looking at the screenshot in the review the user adjustable OCP is up to 40A per PSU connector (not to be confused with the downstream PC connectors).  That likely means the default is 40A and obviously they would have designed their plugs, pins, and wires to handle that much current.  If you used just a pair of PSU connectors each with 1 PSU connector running to two PCIe connectors in series, then each PSU per connector "virtual rail" would have half the load of a Jupiter.  If we assume Jupiter is 790W that is 65A total or 32.5A per connector.  Looks good to me.  Not really going to know for sure until the first person plugs on in but I would be comfortable buying it (if I didn't have 10 spare Seasonic 1050W PSUs Smiley ).

Worst case scenario (for any PSU) I am sure someone like Cablez can sell a EPS12V to PCIE 8 pin connector.  The EPS12V connector (8 pins usually split as 4pin + 4pin) which connects to the motherboard is designed for >280W.  To any DIY who later finds this post by a search and acts without thinking the pinout for EPS12V and PCIe-8pin are different.  If you connect them 1:1 you will destroy your PSU and equipment.  It would require a custom cable to properly connect the 12V to 12V and ground to ground.

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
LIR DEV
September 10, 2013, 12:49:12 PM

What could the pi do that an onboard linux couldn't? That's why useless....
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
September 10, 2013, 12:48:35 PM

That would mean my bitbet bet is gonna pay off!!
Activity: 824
Merit: 712
September 10, 2013, 12:48:15 PM

Source?
Activity: 434
September 10, 2013, 12:45:03 PM

EDIT: you do know that a Pi would offer onboard linux providing GUI, SSL, etc right?
legendary
LIR DEV
September 10, 2013, 12:40:36 PM
legendary
Activity: 1512
September 10, 2013, 12:35:35 PM
I assume that it is to power the on board Linux OrSOC device?

It looks like a Beaglebone.   Further, the cut-out to the left  looks as though it might be for a rPi.
legendary
LIR DEV
September 10, 2013, 12:26:26 PM
Does anyone know why there is a 4 pin connector on the front PCB?  I assume that it is to power the on board Linux OrSOC device?
yes, the linux device is powered by the molex connector...
Activity: 114
Merit: 10
September 10, 2013, 12:24:36 PM
Does anyone know why there is a 4 pin connector on the front PCB?  I assume that it is to power the on board Linux OrSOC device?
Activity: 218
Merit: 100
September 10, 2013, 12:11:06 PM
OOooh, I like the colored ring on the fans... haha

i think its that reflective hologram type stuff

lol  Grin
Activity: 280
Hell?
September 10, 2013, 12:08:34 PM

i think its that reflective hologram type stuff
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
September 10, 2013, 12:07:45 PM
legendary
LIR DEV
September 10, 2013, 12:05:20 PM

legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1001
/dev/null
September 10, 2013, 11:45:03 AM
meanwhile on KNC board:

Carl, KnCMiner Staff:
As some have stated above, having a margin on the energy consumption does reduce the risk of over heating and increase the efficiency of the PSU (at an increased cost for purchase). But you can opt for two 600W PSUs instead of a 1200 PSU or some other combination. According to our engineers an 850W, 80+ Gold certified PSU should be enough for a Jupiter running at the expected speed of 500 GH/s.

thread:
http://forum.kncminer.com/forum/main-category/hardware/107-psu-recommendation-jupiter-the-largest-planet
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
September 10, 2013, 11:17:36 AM
its not a prototype, but yes it does not have the asic chips.

We know KNC holds their cards very close. If they are at the point where they are showing pcbs mounted in cases, I suspect that they are about 2-3 steps ahead of this. My gut tells me there's a pallet or two of pcbs on a plane leaving Taiwan today.
Activity: 462
September 10, 2013, 10:41:28 AM
Make sure to get an actual bridge with wired ports

I ordered this one since it pairs nicely with my current dual band router (you may be able to find cheaper ones no doubt)

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WN2500RP.aspx#one

Activity: 798
September 10, 2013, 10:23:04 AM
anyone has a clue why there are 2 square holes at the back panel of the miner's case ?

*visible on the last 2 photos

for the bitcoin chutes silly!  they POUR out!

ah ok...thought it might be the entrance for the leprechauns doing maintenance on our miner while we sleep..
Don't trust Leprechaun's! You'll wake up the next morning to an empty wallet.dat. Also, your knc will be gone and they'll leave a bfl in it's place  Cry
Jump to: