Pages:
Author

Topic: TAINTED COINS - page 2. (Read 1666 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
January 23, 2016, 02:55:20 PM
let's imagine that I have tainted coins. Will it be possible to later have troubles because I used them? Since all bitcoin transaction history can be tracked, can it at some point be led to me?

Its easy to tell where the coins went in its whole life, the thing is, its very hard to prove that through all the loops, you were the one that was used for a X transaction that was proven to be a crime.

Its pretty much the same as real cash.

Your cash could have some cocaine residue on it, does it mean you were the one that did cocaine? No.

Ok. Now I understant. It works pretty much like cash... most notes was already used to pay for dubious services or illegal items, but that doesn't mean that you were the one doing it.
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
January 22, 2016, 08:06:41 PM
Ok, thanks for that everyone  Wink
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
January 22, 2016, 03:47:22 PM
Hi.

I just want to know what exactly tainted coins are and how they become tainted. I've recently checked through blockchain and found that one address that I received payments from has 40% tainted coins and a couple more have 13% and 11%. Then the next addresses on the list are at 0.1% and lower.

Are tainted coins bad to be associated with and what happens to tainted coins?

Despite the name's connotation, there is nothing bad about taint itself. It is just a measurement. "taint" is the portion of coins at one address that came from another address.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
January 22, 2016, 03:12:18 PM
let's imagine that I have tainted coins. Will it be possible to later have troubles because I used them? Since all bitcoin transaction history can be tracked, can it at some point be led to me?

Its easy to tell where the coins went in its whole life, the thing is, its very hard to prove that through all the loops, you were the one that was used for a X transaction that was proven to be a crime.

Its pretty much the same as real cash.

Your cash could have some cocaine residue on it, does it mean you were the one that did cocaine? No.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
January 22, 2016, 03:04:55 PM
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
January 22, 2016, 12:24:34 PM
I think they refer to this -> https://blockchain.info/taint/18xqsF4wSwLardNBZfWqfUqdZ645ZE6MpL

Not sure how it works in detail though, none of the >90% addresses are mine.
The taint simply means that if you trace the the transaction history of an address, then the balance of the address is made up of spends from those taint addresses.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
January 22, 2016, 11:44:51 AM
Tainted coins are evil, that's why I don't use dollars.  Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contaminated_currency
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1528
No I dont escrow anymore.
January 22, 2016, 11:42:20 AM
I think they refer to this -> https://blockchain.info/taint/18xqsF4wSwLardNBZfWqfUqdZ645ZE6MpL

Not sure how it works in detail though, none of the >90% addresses are mine.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
January 22, 2016, 11:33:56 AM
usually tainted coins, are those coins that are seized by autorithy, and they were used for illicit things, i think there is no way to have those not tainted without a proper mixing, with some alt
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
January 22, 2016, 09:39:24 AM
Hi.

I just want to know what exactly tainted coins are and how they become tainted. I've recently checked through blockchain and found that one address that I received payments from has 40% tainted coins and a couple more have 13% and 11%. Then the next addresses on the list are at 0.1% and lower.

Are tainted coins bad to be associated with and what happens to tainted coins?
Pages:
Jump to: