Pages:
Author

Topic: [Teaser!]Wasp Based Mining GB, Collecting Reservations For The Coming SWARM! - page 2. (Read 7074 times)

Activity: 966
Merit: 502
legendary
Activity: 1123
Merit: 1000
SaluS - (SLS)
Reserve two wasps for me.

Thanks.
I'm glad it is.
I am going to be ready to invest when yo are ready.
Thanks

Looking forward to having you aboard too!

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004
I'm glad it is.
I am going to be ready to invest when yo are ready.
Thanks

@cannachris, looking forward to having you aboard!

@ManeBjorn, accessibility to Bitcoin mining for everyone is crucial to preserve Bitcoin's Decentralized Network, this is something very important to me on a personal level. I want keep Bitcoin mining as level a playing field as possible.

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App
@cannachris, looking forward to having you aboard!

@ManeBjorn, accessibility to Bitcoin mining for everyone is crucial to preserve Bitcoin's Decentralized Network, this is something very important to me on a personal level. I want keep Bitcoin mining as level a playing field as possible.

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004
Also great news on being able to buy gh/s until I have the cost of a WASP.  I do not have even close to enough to buy one but being able to buy in and eventually get it is excellent.
I like that.  I makes this whole project more approachable for people like me with limited funds.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
cats love crypto | 911 truth @checktheevidence.com
Chalk me up for one A1 Wasp! Awesome project!
I am in for at least 10 full wasps, maybe more .. IF the price targets end up at the lower end of the range, IF the boards can be fabricated relatively soon, IF you can get the data center up and running before difficulty kills any chance of profit.

Love the idea, it could really be killer if enough people sign on.  Could really push chip prices down, and commoditize a lot of the industry which is great for miners.  Cool.

Questions:

1) What is a hive?  How does that relate to a wasp?  A wasp is a single fully populated board, correct?   Is a hive a collective of wasps under a single controller?  Is there a more robust definition than that?

The Hive is a backplane specifically designed to power and hold 8 Wasps. A Hive is not required because (in the current design) Wasps have 2 USB connectors, one for power and the other for communication, you can stack Wasps just like block eruptor blades. The Hives will give cleaner power and convenience. In SWMC's case, the The Hives will allow for easier rack mounting and custom cooling.

2) If a wasp board is populated with something like the A1, and then next year the A2 comes out at 20nm and 4x the power (I am making this up, not a real example!), would it be possible to just swap in the new chip?  I assume not, unless the "A2" in my hypo was pin compatible with the A1.  Or is there there some magic polymorphic socket idea embedded in the wasp project?

You have to know which chips are going to go on a Wasp before the PCB is fabricated so you can mount those chips with the correct connections. A polymorphic socket is not currently part of the design, but I suggested it to the collective once as a means to replace bad chips easily. Nevertheless, I already have plans for just such a modification. SWMC will be fabricating its own boards, so making adjustments like that will be easy. I would like to be able to replace malfunctioning, defective, outdated or dead chips with an easy 'plug and play' option. The Wasps are designed to work with any chip, even a combination of different chips on the same Wasp! Adding a polymorphic (or similar) socket would make chip RMAs and chip upgrades much easier. Yep, that's my plan. Wink

3) Firmware and controllers will be needed for each chip... will you be doing that work, or will you just wait until it is done by the manufacturer or the community first?

No, The WPC does all of those things. The WPC has created its own custom OS to run the Wasps which includes its own mining software. The firmware will automatically identify what chips are on the Wasp and adjust the settings as needed.

4) If I purchase an entire wasp (or an entire hive depending on the definitions, not sure), will I be able to get control (VPN/ssh) over my unit(s)?

That depends, if you have a standard hosting contract, then yes... you'll have full control over your units if you wish. If you own H/s on the SWMC Hashing Exchange then you will be able to pick any mining pool you want for your hashing pleasure using an account at your chosen pool that SWMC has setup for you, but it will not be possible to have direct control over your H/s because they may be spread over different units.

Good questions, Thanks!

[EDIT] Ahh... Beat me to it! Cheesy Thanks Beastlymac for helping out! Wink
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.
I am in for at least 10 full wasps, maybe more .. IF the price targets end up at the lower end of the range, IF the boards can be fabricated relatively soon, IF you can get the data center up and running before difficulty kills any chance of profit.

Love the idea, it could really be killer if enough people sign on.  Could really push chip prices down, and commoditize a lot of the industry which is great for miners.  Cool.

Questions:

1) What is a hive?  How does that relate to a wasp?  A wasp is a single fully populated board, correct?   Is a hive a collective of wasps under a single controller?  Is there a more robust definition than that?

2) If a wasp board is populated with something like the A1, and then next year the A2 comes out at 20nm and 4x the power (I am making this up, not a real example!), would it be possible to just swap in the new chip?  I assume not, unless the "A2" in my hypo was pin compatible with the A1.  Or is there there some magic polymorphic socket idea embedded in the wasp project? 

3) Firmware and controllers will be needed for each chip... will you be doing that work, or will you just wait until it is done by the manufacturer or the community first?

4) If I purchase an entire wasp (or an entire hive depending on the definitions, not sure), will I be able to get control (VPN/ssh) over my unit(s)?

A hive is like a back plane that can be used when controlling multiple boards at once. If a new chip comes out we will make a wasp board for that chip and it will be compatible with the current hive and you would be able to run them both at the same time. The hive is the controller so that will be sorted out for all our compatible chips.
Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Love the idea, it could really be killer if enough people sign on.  Could really push chip prices down, and commoditize a lot of the industry which is great for miners.  Cool.

Questions:

1) What is a hive?  How does that relate to a wasp?  A wasp is a single fully populated board, correct?   Is a hive a collective of wasps under a single controller?  Is there a more robust definition than that?

2) If a wasp board is populated with something like the A1, and then next year the A2 comes out at 20nm and 4x the power (I am making this up, not a real example!), would it be possible to just swap in the new chip?  I assume not, unless the "A2" in my hypo was pin compatible with the A1.  Or is there there some magic polymorphic socket idea embedded in the wasp project? 

thanks for clarification. *thumbsup*

I will add a few more points.

To start off, you can simply just buy any number of Wasps and Hives that you can afford and they will be delivered to you if you wish.

But let's say that you can't afford to buy a whole Wasp right away. Well, then you can buy as many GH/s as you can afford, just to start out with. Once you own a full Wasp's worth (or many Wasp's worth) of GH/s, just as CEX offers, you can request to have the physical miningware delivered to you at any time you desire.

And there are plenty of individuals that want to invest in Bitcoin mining, but do not want to hassle with or do not have the expertise to the maintain the mining gear. Having SWMC host the miningware is a good solution for them. Additionally, SWMC will be using industrial strength cooling like oil cooling and other techniques that involve recovering heat energy to reduce mining costs. Not something most individuals can provide for themselves, so that's one advantage over self-hosting.

SWMC is also committed to moving towards using renewable energy resources like solar and wind power (hence the name SolarWind) among many other common and novel technologies. Doing so will give SWMC a monetary advantage over the industry's standard practice of generating tons of unused waste heat and drawing then paying for electricity off of the grid. When I first presented this plan to the community, many said that it couldn't be done. Undecided I would like to point out that KnCMiner just recently announce that they are building a data center to host their customers (and their own) miningware and that the data center will be completely powered by renewable energy sources... Kiss maybe I wasn't as nuts or off track as some implied! Tongue Again, that's not something that the average individual will be able to do, so SWMC offers that as another advantage over self-hosting.

So lets say that you receive your miningware and start it hashing away on your own premises. Then, at some point in time, your gear burns out a component. You'll either have to repair it yourself, send it to someone who can repair it (all the while, losing valuable hashing time) or just trash it and lose any chance of ever reaching ROI. Then what? Well, with SWMC's cloud hosting and Hashing Exchange, you will own X-GH/s, no matter what. If equipment breaks down, SWMC is responsible for repairing it, but the customer will not lose any hashing time at all during the repair period. Lost hashing power will come out of SWMC own hashing count and not from our customers. So, as long as there isn't a mass failure, the customer won't lose any income from hardware failures. That is an advantage that SWMC offers over self-hosting, because it is simply impossible for an individual to do at all.

There are other bonuses as well, but I'll leave that for another time. CeeCee, I'm sure that there are many others whom have wondered the same thing but didn't bother to ask. So... Thanks for the chance to answer your question!

~James

Activity: 237
Merit: 100
thanks for clarification. *thumbsup*
so you want 2BTC for 216GH/s while i can get an antminer with ~200GH/s for under 2BTC and i will have real hardware in my hand. not this cloud hashing miner that i dont really own. can now someone explain me why i should invest in you? maybe i dont have understand something right.

that is not what he said.  you misread his post.

the minimum would be  3.66 usd a hash  that is 180 gh for  658 usd  or 1.04 btc  an ant-miner is higher then the low price

an ant miner can not be purchased for that price.

the high end price is 5.66 usd a hash that is 180 gh for  1018 usd or 1.62 btc  an ant miner is lower then his high price

Thanks philipma1957,

You summed it up well.

Can anyone vouch for this guy? I'd be interested in this if so...

Presented by
a DyslexicZombei Vetted Group Buy Coordinator and

The SolarWind Mining Company

I hope that DyslexicZombei's reputation is good enough.

Thanks
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Can anyone vouch for this guy? I'd be interested in this if so...
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
so you want 2BTC for 216GH/s while i can get an antminer with ~200GH/s for under 2BTC and i will have real hardware in my hand. not this cloud hashing miner that i dont really own. can now someone explain me why i should invest in you? maybe i dont have understand something right.

that is not what he said.  you misread his post.

the minimum would be  3.66 usd a hash  that is 180 gh for  658 usd  or 1.04 btc  an ant-miner is higher then the low price

an ant miner can not be purchased for that price.

the high end price is 5.66 usd a hash that is 180 gh for  1018 usd or 1.62 btc  an ant miner is lower then his high price
Activity: 711
Merit: 532
I'm certainly interested. I love the Wasp project, can't wait to start seeing the hardware!
Activity: 237
Merit: 100
Activity: 358
Merit: 255
I will follow this as well. I would like to support the Wasp project.

Yeah my 1 or 2 or 3 btc  won't buy much attention from him.

I do have an interest in this and I book marked it.   I am good for at least 2 coins.

Thanks philipma1957! I'll will work some more on getting something more solid going for you guys.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
I hope you can manage to get in contact with ASICMiner... some of the other chip options look a bit expensive to me.

Getting a hold of friedcat or ASICMiner is not so easy these days, unless you have a few million dollars you desperately want to hand over to them.  Wink

Yeah my 1 or 2 or 3 btc  won't buy much attention from him.

I do have an interest in this and I book marked it.   I am good for at least 2 coins.

Pages:
Jump to: