Pages:
Author

Topic: Tertiary/Higher Education - page 3. (Read 4818 times)

Activity: 354
Merit: 250
May 06, 2013, 08:50:42 PM
You are given data to memorize, the state hands you a test, you regurgitate the data, and then forget it all a week later. You're expected to go to college if you want to make anything above minimum wage, then 4+ years and a mountain of debt later most people are entering into shitty jobs they shouldn't have needed a degree for in the first place.

Sounds like something a person without a college degree would say  Grin

i'm actually in my 3rd year of college right now, doing pretty well.

it doesn't take a genius to see that our education system as a whole runs counter to most of the principles we claim to instill in kids.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
May 01, 2013, 05:25:44 PM
I'd be careful with that one. There are a lot of philosophical beliefs that are kinda of.................

Ehh two different concepts; philosophy is the pursuit of knowledge, whereas philosophical beliefs are the fruit of philosophers--the after product.  A philosopher doesn't necessarily have to subscribe to any or even most philosophical beliefs; I'm not sure if this is possible without contradicting oneself.  With that said, someone who earned a degree in philosophy is only guaranteed to understand a variety of philosophical beliefs.  A real philosopher is not one who pursues such a degree, but one who asks questions and follows answers to the end.  On the other side of this concept, a philosopher may have knowledge of common philosophical beliefs, but is guaranteed to be equipped with their own interpretations of life, which will happen to coincide with others, as opposed to someone who is largely aware of philosophical concepts but spends more time learning that than asking their own questions.

This post is full of so much win.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
May 01, 2013, 05:20:23 PM
I'd be careful with that one. There are a lot of philosophical beliefs that are kinda of.................

Ehh two different concepts; philosophy is the pursuit of knowledge, whereas philosophical beliefs are the fruit of philosophers--the after product.  A philosopher doesn't necessarily have to subscribe to any or even most philosophical beliefs; I'm not sure if this is possible without contradicting oneself.  With that said, someone who earned a degree in philosophy is only guaranteed to understand a variety of philosophical beliefs.  A real philosopher is not one who pursues such a degree, but one who asks questions and follows answers to the end.  On the other side of this concept, a philosopher may have knowledge of common philosophical beliefs, but is guaranteed to be equipped with their own interpretations of life, which will happen to coincide with others, as opposed to someone who is largely aware of philosophical concepts but spends more time learning that than asking their own questions.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
May 01, 2013, 05:04:22 PM

Psssst.  The super-duper-secret information resulting in this apocalypse, which will finally end the biblical time period we've been suffering through, is that a philosophical approach to life will make you happy, and thus make others happy.  Now all we gotta do is disclose this information to the rest of the world and we'll all be dandy.

I can vouch for this.  It's no exaggeration to say that philosophy quite literally saved me from the abyss and changed my life.

legendary
May 01, 2013, 03:35:45 PM
Thanks for this

If you haven't watched it already, you should watch the documentary "Happy" from 2011

Haven't heard of this one; I'll definitely check it out!

I can vouch for this.  It's no exaggeration to say that philosophy quite literally saved me from the abyss and changed my life.

+1  Same here!  I can officially say I ain't stupid no mores  Cool
Activity: 364
Merit: 253
May 01, 2013, 08:58:08 AM

Psssst.  The super-duper-secret information resulting in this apocalypse, which will finally end the biblical time period we've been suffering through, is that a philosophical approach to life will make you happy, and thus make others happy.  Now all we gotta do is disclose this information to the rest of the world and we'll all be dandy.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
May 01, 2013, 07:25:15 AM
A private education which must contort to the state's definition of what an education is, is not a private education.  Granted, colleges generally give a much better experience over high school, but, I'm still stuck on rails for 2 years before I can have an art teacher tell me to go paint so I can learn how to paint exactly as well as I have been without an art teacher Undecided

Give me a completely private college whose intention is not to "prepare you for the work force" (god fucking damn it), but to provide a haven for people to go to learn and become educated for the sake of education, so they may better their lives and be happier as individuals (in other words, the whole point of philosophy), and I'll be the happiest man alive.

Quote from: Wikipedia on the Apocalypse
An apocalypse, translated literally from Greek, is a disclosure of knowledge, hidden from humanity in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e., a lifting of the veil or revelation,

Thanks for this

If you haven't watched it already, you should watch the documentary "Happy" from 2011
legendary
April 30, 2013, 09:30:49 PM
You are given data to memorize, the state hands you a test, you regurgitate the data, and then forget it all a week later. You're expected to go to college if you want to make anything above minimum wage, then 4+ years and a mountain of debt later most people are entering into shitty jobs they shouldn't have needed a degree for in the first place.

legendary
April 30, 2013, 09:14:24 PM

Activity: 354
April 30, 2013, 07:54:12 PM
And people thought Bitcoin was a bubble...

Discuss

It's just to way to streamline citizens into a cycle of debt and dependency. Back in high school all my teachers would say was "we're here to help you pass government tests and get into college", and that's pretty much all they did. You are given data to memorize, the state hands you a test, you regurgitate the data, and then forget it all a week later. You're expected to go to college if you want to make anything above minimum wage, then 4+ years and a mountain of debt later most people are entering into shitty jobs they shouldn't have needed a degree for in the first place.

Debt is like quicksand, and the sooner you get the kids into it the better.
Activity: 728
April 30, 2013, 09:36:19 AM
Probably in some cases like Engineering it can provide wide base of knowledge.

Though I agree that some of it seem to be bullshit.

Still, you need some institutions providing the training for basic research. Things are just damm complex nowdays.
Activity: 644
April 30, 2013, 05:06:02 AM
Y didn't I start this thread.
legendary
April 25, 2013, 07:22:26 PM
A private education which must contort to the state's definition of what an education is, is not a private education.  Granted, colleges generally give a much better experience over high school, but, I'm still stuck on rails for 2 years before I can have an art teacher tell me to go paint so I can learn how to paint exactly as well as I have been without an art teacher Undecided

Give me a completely private college whose intention is not to "prepare you for the work force" (god fucking damn it), but to provide a haven for people to go to learn and become educated for the sake of education, so they may better their lives and be happier as individuals (in other words, the whole point of philosophy), and I'll be the happiest man alive.

Quote from: Wikipedia on the Apocalypse
An apocalypse, translated literally from Greek, is a disclosure of knowledge, hidden from humanity in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e., a lifting of the veil or revelation,

Activity: 504
April 25, 2013, 07:09:24 PM
The similarity between a USD and a college diploma is the fact that both are backed by debt, and the belief they have any value at all.

Absolutely love it!

And thanks everyone for your opinions, enjoyed reading them Smiley Expected mainly negative feedback to be honest, but I'm glad to see other people share my disagreement!

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
April 25, 2013, 06:20:13 PM
The similarity between a USD and a college diploma is the fact that both are backed by debt, and the belief they have any value at all.

That belongs on a T-shirt!

Libertarians say it best? Cheesy?
Shh! You're not supposed to say the L word. They are watching, and we all know it's extremely illegal to be... Concerned about natural rights and the proper treatment of our fellow human beings.
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
April 25, 2013, 05:59:53 PM

Libertarians say it best? Cheesy?
Activity: 532
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
April 25, 2013, 05:41:21 PM

Activity: 175
April 25, 2013, 05:39:14 PM
legendary
April 24, 2013, 10:22:22 PM
I saw/heard/remember a recent statistic that current college graduates are doing 1/2 the work of a college graduate in 1970, and earning twice the grade for it. 

To be fair, 100 years ago many had to get up at 6 in the morning and go out to work the land of build things by hand until 8 in the evening. Technological progress has a whole hell of a lot to do with work being much less labor intensive than it used to be. Machines made farming and manufacturing easier, and since 1970s, computers made office work easier. There's no need to spend hours or days keeping track of accounts in thick 3-ring binders, adding numbers on a calculator or by hand, and drawing up detailed financial reports, when software can do it for you in minutes.

On the plus side, all those workers who have a lot less work to do, now have a lot more time to be creative and use their minds to create and improve things, instead of just doing repetitive tedious labor.
Activity: 199
April 24, 2013, 04:19:37 PM
I saw/heard/remember a recent statistic that current college graduates are doing 1/2 the work of a college graduate in 1970, and earning twice the grade for it.  Regardless of how accurate these numbers are, its clear that the price of a college education is going up, and the educational quality of graduates is going down.

I work for a company that requires a degree (I do not have one).  I am an operations manager, and I am daily appalled at the lack of knowledge that these 'best and brightest' of our society possess.

When everyone has a college degree, they become practically worthless.  The effect is that it requires the equivalent of a home mortgage to get a job.

Pages:
Jump to: