Pages:
Author

Topic: Tertiary/Higher Education - page 4. (Read 4818 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
April 24, 2013, 03:40:58 PM
I think the internet will revolutionize not only college level education, but all education. It's going to make the term "market place for ideas" a whole lot more literal. It would help A LOT if the government would get the hell out of the way though.

You mean this:  https://www.khanacademy.org/

That's one example, but we can go so much further. The fun has only yet begun. The net as we know it is only in its infancy.

this entire civilisation is a bubble

The sun's energy output is a bubble.
I like to blow giant bubbles with wands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9y5T2Xdfytg#t=4s
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
April 24, 2013, 03:20:49 PM

The sun's energy output is a bubble.
Activity: 42
April 24, 2013, 03:06:43 PM
Activity: 298
Merit: 250
April 24, 2013, 02:41:36 PM

[/quote]

Love it Smiley
Activity: 924
Merit: 501
April 24, 2013, 12:58:44 PM
I think the internet will revolutionize not only college level education, but all education. It's going to make the term "market place for ideas" a whole lot more literal. It would help A LOT if the government would get the hell out of the way though.

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
April 24, 2013, 12:57:23 PM
+1
April 24, 2013, 12:55:05 PM
I don't think it's in dire need of more degrees Rassah, western countries in general have that many degrees and courses that they don't know what to do with them all, I've been thinking back to the classes I sat in with schools and it amazes me how they managed to make the subjects so fucking boring. I look at stuff they taught back then that I've decided to partly look at again when I don't have anything else to do and what they taught was absolute garbage.

Seriously, how do you make digging for shiny and expensive gemstones and finding out where they live boring? How? In geography etc. all I got was a stupid textbook that ranted on about sand and climate change etc.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
April 24, 2013, 12:28:10 PM
I don't think it's in dire need of more degrees Rassah, western countries in general have that many degrees and courses that they don't know what to do with them all, I've been thinking back to the classes I sat in with schools and it amazes me how they managed to make the subjects so fucking boring. I look at stuff they taught back then that I've decided to partly look at again when I don't have anything else to do and what they taught was absolute garbage.

Seriously, how do you make digging for shiny and expensive gemstones and finding out where they live boring? How? In geography etc. all I got was a stupid textbook that ranted on about sand and climate change etc.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
April 24, 2013, 12:19:29 PM
It might be a bubble, with too many people getting college degrees, and yet, USA is losing a lot of its business to overseas countries that have way more college degrees than we do. I wouldn't say it's a bubble, as much as it's people studying what no one needs. USA is in dire need of degrees in science, engineering, and mathematics.
Activity: 924
Merit: 501
April 24, 2013, 11:16:09 AM
Yeah, way too many people get college degrees, and end up asking if you'd like fries with that. It's just another way for you to be trapped in debt.

This is your experience?  (cough, cough, laugh)
April 24, 2013, 10:49:12 AM
I believe it's primarily the result of too many people being dependent upon corporations for their employment, rather than working for themselves as contractors or starting their own business. Working for yourself seems like a pipe dream, and if you want to impress the big companies, everyone feels like they need a PhD in theoretical physics. Plus it's become the "norm" to get a degree. First question out of most people's mouths when I meet them is, "so what are you studying for?" So now the only way to set yourself apart is to become a rocket scientist or a doctor. Or a rocket doctor. Because rockets need doctors too.
Activity: 532
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
April 24, 2013, 09:43:53 AM
Yeah, way too many people get college degrees, and end up asking if you'd like fries with that. It's just another way for you to be trapped in debt.
Activity: 504
April 24, 2013, 05:25:47 AM
Haha, you'd think so.

But nahhh. Been outta the education system for years now Smiley.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
April 24, 2013, 04:53:51 AM
Did a teacher piss you off today? Cheesy
Activity: 504
April 24, 2013, 02:57:00 AM
And people thought Bitcoin was a bubble...

Discuss
Pages:
Jump to: