Pages:
Author

Topic: [Testnet BITCOIN: BT3] FREE BITCOINS just post your address! - page 4. (Read 5252 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
I would like just to see the threat of an arbitrary testnet reset taken away so that the network can go in whatever direction it might.
But that would completely defeat the purpose of testnet.
The whole point of testnet is having no value, if you want to test something that might have value, use an altcoin...
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
If however they decide that they refuse to lend their credibility to any chain other the Bitcoin
Don't make misleading statements, that's not the point. What they don't want is making Testnet coins valuable.
By the way, of course they don't want to lend their credibility to Testnet: they admitted themselves that it might be bogus. Would you want to make people value bogus systems?

In what way do you mean "bogus"?

That said, any way around it I can't see how testnet could be more bogus then almost all these 'alt-coins' down here. (Some notable exceptions of course). In any case, we shall see.
Bogus because of the untested op codes: mem leaks, unexpected behavior, etc
I can't find any thread where the devs said so though. Try searching in the dev&tech subforum.

I know, but thats the whole point in my opinion. We need to test these things- they can't be merged into main-net bitcoin before extensive testing. I would like just to see the threat of an arbitrary testnet reset taken away so that the network can go in whatever direction it might. The 'bogus' element should be a condition of playing with testnet- you accept the risk in order to participate in greater in depth testing of the bitcoin network. People value nonesense alt-coins for no reason whatsoever, they should be allowed to value testnet coins as well as they please. It will give an economic incentive to test non-standard transactions.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
If however they decide that they refuse to lend their credibility to any chain other the Bitcoin
Don't make misleading statements, that's not the point. What they don't want is making Testnet coins valuable.
By the way, of course they don't want to lend their credibility to Testnet: they admitted themselves that it might be bogus. Would you want to make people value bogus systems?

That said, any way around it I can't see how testnet could be more bogus then almost all these 'alt-coins' down here. (Some notable exceptions of course). In any case, we shall see.
Bogus because of the untested op codes: mem leaks, unexpected behavior, etc
I can't find any thread where the devs said so though. Try searching in the dev&tech subforum.
legendary
Is there a testnet mining pool?

It's p2pool and I am currently not taking a fee.

To mine:

ADDRESS: 84.200.2.8:4000
Username: Your bitcoin *TESTNET* address
Password: Any password

You can check out the stats here:

http://84.200.2.8:4000/static/
legendary

legendary

My hope though is that they warm up to the idea of testnet being the ideal staging ground for Bitcoin.
Great, that's exactly the point of Testnet.
legendary
Wts 10,000 BT3

10 LTC / K

testnet 4 anyone?
 Roll Eyes

Well, we can always stay on testnet 3 if we want. We can't be forced off of it. At least then we wouldn't have it hanging over our heads that someone might restart it, AND we can stay up-to-date with all the new bitcoin updates as changing the testnet just means future genesis blocks are different.

Wow that's funny, you previously said that you didn't want anybody to fork future Bitcoin version in case of new testnet coming because it would ask some trust to the forker:
If I copy past fork bitcoin and change the genesis block, it will make me responsible for maintaining the code base. If not me, someone else would be. And then everyone would have to trust me that every time there is some update people will have to trust that I haven't worked some malicious code changes into the mix. Not everyone is competent enough to check the code every time. 

This is why I do not advocate some bitcoin clone because it creates a point of vulnerability. We trust the bitcoin devs, and by using testnet we don't introduce any vulnerabilities from some new random dev that forks the code.

No, you're absolutely right and I stand by both statements. My goal is to try and convince the developers that allowing testnet to flourish is a good thing. That bitcoin needs a staging ground where we can experiment with new economics ideas and projects. We can't be forced off testnet 3, so worse come worse, people can stay on it. I definitely think that it's important not to introduce the developers-trust issue that arrises with other alt-coins and my idea is premised on the assumption that the Bitcoin Dev's are the best dev's out there. If however they decide that they refuse to lend their credibility to any chain other the Bitcoin, then we would have to cross that bridge when we get there. My hope though is that they warm up to the idea of testnet being the ideal staging ground for Bitcoin. We have a lot of work to do however before we can make that case in a solid way however.

Please give your thoughts as well on the Bitcoin Development Email list. You can see one of the threads talking about these ideas at the Source forge repository here:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30868065
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
http://satoshiroulette.com/?mode=TST

We had a request to support testnet and as far as a test coin goes it is the perfect coin.
We shall support testnet as long as the core developers do not have an issue.

Please remember that the testnet can be reset at any point, you should consider the coins worthless and for testing purposes only.
legendary
Wts 10,000 BT3

10 LTC / K

testnet 4 anyone?
 Roll Eyes

Well, we can always stay on testnet 3 if we want. We can't be forced off of it. At least then we wouldn't have it hanging over our heads that someone might restart it, AND we can stay up-to-date with all the new bitcoin updates as changing the testnet just means future genesis blocks are different.

Wow that's funny, you previously said that you didn't want anybody to fork future Bitcoin version in case of new testnet coming because it would ask some trust to the forker:
If I copy past fork bitcoin and change the genesis block, it will make me responsible for maintaining the code base. If not me, someone else would be. And then everyone would have to trust me that every time there is some update people will have to trust that I haven't worked some malicious code changes into the mix. Not everyone is competent enough to check the code every time.  

This is why I do not advocate some bitcoin clone because it creates a point of vulnerability. We trust the bitcoin devs, and by using testnet we don't introduce any vulnerabilities from some new random dev that forks the code.
legendary
Wts 10,000 BT3

10 LTC / K

testnet 4 anyone?
 Roll Eyes

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
mgEPPnVhyQLRfSaVgK62Jee5nd4zBs5BuA
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
n3fdqJaRaZYpXHunSHSfzXpCumwF3int8N nevermind: I found a couple of faucets - thanks anyway! : )

(hoping I'm on the correct testnet, haven't tried it so far)

PS: I'm trying to find the block height of testnet, but googling returned me only crap... I have 80505 blocks, is that correct?
legendary
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
mmp1Q6hmkhpv1gVtNQBirXqVNeLR7a8K1q

thanks
legendary
Is this thread an idiot test?
I'm tempted to put into ignore all the people who posted a non-testnet address...

+1

hahaa, I think you're right. Definitely feels like a idiot test, no? Although perhaps I need to work to explain better wat the testnet is. You know- google for people.

Its amazing how many people dont read giveaway threads. The people who are posting bitcoin address's arent acting like its crazy that you are giving away $100's. Although some might think their testnet address is the same.

A friend of mine started another altcoin forum. He posted here he was doing a giveaway at his new site. Within hours the thread was filled with just addresses

I believe it!
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1002
I'm tempted to put into ignore all the people who posted a non-testnet address...

+1

hahaa, I think you're right. Definitely feels like a idiot test, no? Although perhaps I need to work to explain better wat the testnet is. You know- google for people.

Its amazing how many people dont read giveaway threads. The people who are posting bitcoin address's arent acting like its crazy that you are giving away $100's. Although some might think their testnet address is the same.

A friend of mine started another altcoin forum. He posted here he was doing a giveaway at his new site. Within hours the thread was filled with just addresses
legendary
SENT! (To everyone with a testnet address) :-)
legendary

+1

legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1002

+1
Pages:
Jump to: