Pages:
Author

Topic: Tether: not even a scam - page 12. (Read 31056 times)

Activity: 503
Merit: 286
January 20, 2018, 05:03:58 AM
Ok, there's something I don't get,

Please, ELI5 here. Tether's utility within the crypto community is to provide safe-parking for your gains when the market is going red, right? Why does it matter whether or not you can cash out USDT if you could cash out changing to BTC and going to any fiat exchange?

I can see why Tether should have a 1:1 back up in some bank, ethically... But for market purposes, all they need to do is keep their value pegged to relative $USD within exchanges.

Idk, is there something I'm missing? Can't see what all the fuzz is about besides negative media attention...

Because they cannot control the "peg". The price is based on what people are willing to pay for it. That's why the value is not always $1 USD, it fluctuates up and down. If people lose confidence because they cannot exchange USDT for USD (because maybe they don't have the reserves), then the price of USDT will plummet.
Activity: 126
Merit: 90
January 19, 2018, 06:49:06 PM
So where can I transfer my dollar? Grin
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
January 19, 2018, 06:06:08 PM
thether is the real bitcoin i hodl
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
January 19, 2018, 06:01:37 PM
Ok, there's something I don't get,

Please, ELI5 here. Tether's utility within the crypto community is to provide safe-parking for your gains when the market is going red, right? Why does it matter whether or not you can cash out USDT if you could cash out changing to BTC and going to any fiat exchange?

I can see why Tether should have a 1:1 back up in some bank, ethically... But for market purposes, all they need to do is keep their value pegged to relative $USD within exchanges.

Idk, is there something I'm missing? Can't see what all the fuzz is about besides negative media attention...
Activity: 51
Merit: 56
January 18, 2018, 02:17:00 AM
Tether was fine until some exchanges like Kraken hate it. Tether to the moon! I expect a Tether pump soon.

Agreed. During the latest downturn, I mortgaged my house and maxed out my credit card to buy tether. It's definitely going to go up this week.
Activity: 108
Merit: 10
January 04, 2018, 11:58:22 AM
Tether prices aren't all that encouraging at the moment and the issues with exchanges too is not helping, but I think in a couple of months, after its proven that its not a scam, I see the coin pumping up.
Pump to the moon

The whole idea of tether is to be pegged to USD. Any increase or pump would actually be counterproductive.
Activity: 854
Merit: 21
January 04, 2018, 11:05:49 AM
Tether prices aren't all that encouraging at the moment and the issues with exchanges too is not helping, but I think in a couple of months, after its proven that its not a scam, I see the coin pumping up.
Pump to the moon
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
January 04, 2018, 02:17:00 AM
Hey if all the governments of the world can create fiat out of thin air, then why not BitFinex? As long as people believe 1 Tether = $1 USD, it can moderately inflate till infinity. I mean it still have a long way to go to match the amount of fiat the world government is pumping out every day.
January 04, 2018, 02:08:30 AM
Can someone explain, how is the Tether foundation supposed to make any money if Tether was really fully backed by USD? I mean, what would the motivation of the founders be knowing the price won't go up at all?

Transaction fees from USDT + exchange fees for USD to USDT and USDT to USD.
Activity: 108
January 03, 2018, 06:44:21 PM
Can someone explain, how is the Tether foundation supposed to make any money if Tether was really fully backed by USD? I mean, what would the motivation of the founders be knowing the price won't go up at all?
December 26, 2017, 06:50:51 PM
Can someone please explain me, how it can be that the amount of circulating theter is increasing since january pretty strong ?
Does this mean they can print money ? Why is there no inflation ?

See my post right above yours. They can issue as much tether as they want, but they claim that they only do it 1:1 for each USD deposited in their bank account. But the question is where are these USD coming from, since they say they cannot service US customers.
Activity: 868
Merit: 251
Empowering crypto w/ sustainable energy
December 25, 2017, 04:42:59 PM
Can someone please explain me, how it can be that the amount of circulating theter is increasing since january pretty strong ?
Does this mean they can print money ? Why is there no inflation ?
December 22, 2017, 06:00:33 PM
The market cap is now well over a billion: $1,228,723,761

Since they have announced that they cannot serve US customers, where is all the USD coming from that is being deposited and allowing them to issue more tether?

Are people depositing USD from other countries? Any non-US customers having trouble with withdrawals into fiat?
Activity: 114
Merit: 7
December 18, 2017, 02:29:51 PM
The last audit they have is dated 15 Sep 2017 and audit was only for "internal use".

Some consulting firm said: "We are a consulting firm, Tether management team asked us to have a look at their accounts, we've looked at the bank account and found ~420 M USD, which we report to the management"
Activity: 267
Merit: 255
December 01, 2017, 08:44:09 PM
There's a lot of FUD around tether right now, but what makes all these remarks distinct from other cryptos that are only used as money?

The difference is that Tether isn't a decentralized cryptocurrency. Its ledger is centrally administered, and the entire idea of backing crypto with USD is centralized. That's why they were able to unilaterally hard fork immediately after the recent hack. Tether.to is 100% in control of the ledger, and users have to trust them.

I gotta say, this "media offensive" that Bitfinex/Tether apparently went on is pretty disappointing. They didn't say anything new, just repeated "audit coming soon." Roll Eyes
Activity: 266
Merit: 100
December 01, 2017, 08:36:18 PM
There's a lot of FUD around tether right now, but what makes all these remarks distinct from other cryptos that are only used as money?
Activity: 110
Merit: 14
November 28, 2017, 10:00:34 AM
Can anyone tell me why tether doesn't go beyond $1 even though it's below it now. I found it strange.

The price of Tether is supposed to always be $1. That's the whole point of Tether. It is a lot easier to keep it from going higher than $1 than it is to keep it from going lower.

Someone just pointed me out to a clause in their Terms and COnditions, saying that it should not be used for money laundering. I am unsure what all does that cover. But if they have the ability to pull out coins from someone's wallet who does that, then it would be the most stupid investment ever.

That's what you're worried about? Everybody has AML language. What should bother you is this:

...Tethers are not money and are not monetary instruments. They are also not stored value or currency.
There is no contractual right or other right or legal claim against us to redeem or exchange your Tethers for money. We do not guarantee any right of redemption or exchange of Tethers by us for money. There is no guarantee against losses when you buy, trade, sell, or redeem Tethers.

And this:

We make no representations, warranties, or guarantees to you of any kind, including with respect to any right of redemption or exchange of Tethers for any property.

And this:

In the event of any inconsistency between these Terms of Service and any other policies, FAQs, whitepapers, or pages on the Site, these Terms of Service shall prevail.

So if Tether says one thing on its home page, and another in its TOS, the TOS win! So much for that guarantee that Tethers are always backed 1:1 with money in the bank.

Activity: 795
November 28, 2017, 01:56:25 AM
Can anyone tell me why tether doesn't go beyond $1 even though it's below it now. I found it strange.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262
BTC or BUST
November 27, 2017, 10:39:41 PM
I'm a little bit surprised as of now there is nothing big coming out of the whole situation?
I was expecting a little bit of negative impact on BTC price  Huh

Not me really..
This usdt hack kind of showcases the strength of bitcoin..
Activity: 266
Merit: 110
November 27, 2017, 08:43:45 PM
I'm a little bit surprised as of now there is nothing big coming out of the whole situation?
I was expecting a little bit of negative impact on BTC price  Huh
Pages:
Jump to: