Author

Topic: Tezos discussion - page 227. (Read 215630 times)

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
May 09, 2017, 03:03:17 PM
I don't get it, looks like a very ambitious and professionally run project, but no limit on total coins? I dont mean just the ICO, just no overal limit either. What does that mean? Is it basically a fiat crypto? Seems like it would have all the disadvantages of a crypto with none of the benefits. Please explain.

there is a limit on coin supply, but it is set as the total number of coins purchased at the ICO. it's a post ICO cap, so to speak, if that makes any kind of sense at all (?).

that's exactly how ethereum started.
Activity: 1302
Merit: 526
May 09, 2017, 03:01:21 PM
Tezos, an explainer video

https://youtu.be/7m7EU4JWI88
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
May 09, 2017, 03:00:46 PM
foundation gets 1/8 + 1/8 of funds which they oddly call 10%.  1/8 + 1/8 = 25%.  10% + 10% = 20%.

Whether it's 20% or 25%, that's a lot of money for the foundation if this ICO blows up like I think it will.

Plus, founders (DLS) get additional 8.5% of funds raised (btc+eth+$) after 3 mo performance based vesting period.

So, in sum foundation (founders are not on it) gets 10%, DLS (founders) gets 10% of tokens PLUS 8.5% of raised funds.
I would rather have foundation getting a bit more and founders just 10%.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
May 09, 2017, 02:56:39 PM
foundation gets 1/8 + 1/8 of funds which they oddly call 10%.  1/8 + 1/8 = 25%.  10% + 10% = 20%.

Whether it's 20% or 25%, that's a lot of money for the foundation if this ICO blows up like I think it will.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
May 09, 2017, 11:23:06 AM
I don't get it, looks like a very ambitious and professionally run project, but no limit on total coins? I dont mean just the ICO, just no overal limit either. What does that mean? Is it basically a fiat crypto? Seems like it would have all the disadvantages of a crypto with none of the benefits. Please explain.

there is a limit on coin supply, but it is set as the total number of coins purchased at the ICO. it's a post ICO cap, so to speak, if that makes any kind of sense at all (?).
Activity: 32
May 09, 2017, 08:35:56 AM
From the overview document.

'Pool B. Early backers. As mentioned above, a small amount of presale tokens were sold to fund development, representing $893,201 in obligations. These presale backers are thus being allocated a specific number of tokens based on the initial TGE price (bonus included), not a fixed percentage of the issued tokens.'

Can't find this information - as the tokens are priced in Bitcoins, what Bitcoin price will be applied to the $893,201 in obligations?
Activity: 1
May 09, 2017, 08:20:58 AM
Activity: 279
May 09, 2017, 08:01:14 AM
Impressive project. But there is no cap and big funds get a discount. I think i'll buy some after it hits the market Smiley

No max cap is definitely bad thing for ico, I hope tezos won't be next dao, we need to make profit, overvalued ico will let us lose money.
Activity: 776
Merit: 536
May 09, 2017, 07:54:31 AM
Seems like the amount of information is lacking...    How much of the total supply is available at the ICO?     Having no cap,  that's fine... 

The previous 10 million investment,  how many coins did that purchase?

Found more info...   doesn't seem to far out there.

https://tezos.com/dls

Transparency memo
In the interest of full transparency and the spirit of Tezos’ values, Tezos would like to share important details about the relationship between two entities: Dynamic Ledger Solutions, Inc. and the Tezos Foundation. It includes information about the use of contributed funds by the Foundation, thus we urge contributors in the Tezos token generation event (TGE) to read and understand it.

Background on DLS and the Tezos Foundation
Dynamic Ledger Solutions, Inc. (DLS) is a US-based company currently controlled by its founders, Kathleen & Arthur Breitman. It owns all of the Tezos-related intellectual property (IP), including the source code of the Tezos cryptographic ledger, logos, and trademark applications associated with the name Tezos, domain names, and goodwill arising from a set of a relationships with several contractors and potential customers in the financial technology market.

The Tezos Foundation (the Foundation) is a Swiss foundation based in Zug. Its directors are Johann Gevers, Diego Ponz, and Guido Schmitz-Krummacher. As a legal entity, it operates independently from DLS, though DLS advises the Foundation closely on technology.

Contractual Agreement & Risk Mitigation
The Foundation and DLS have negotiated a contractual agreement in which the Foundation will acquire DLS and release its IP under a free software license (MIT license). In the process, the Foundation will also acquire DLS’ existing business relationships with contractors and potential customers, as well as its trademark applications and domain names. This transaction is structured as an earnout, which means the price paid will depend on future performance metrics. Earnouts are common in corporate acquisitions in order to limit risks for buyers.

DLS has taken proactive steps to limit the Foundation’s risk in this acquisition, specifically:

The Tezos blockchain must launch and operate successfully as a public blockchain for a period of three months before DLS’ shareholders can receive any compensation for their shares.
It must work substantially as described in our white paper and technical papers and be consistent with the features described to the community prior to the TGE.
Only at this point, and not before, DLS shareholders may exercise the right to receive payment for their shares.

Payment Structure and Contrast to Common TGE practices
It has become common in token generation events (TGEs) for founders of entities selling tokens to reward themselves, in addition to their token allocation, via salaries with little or no accountability and oversight and in a manner that doesn’t reflect the viability of their product.

In contrast, payments to DLS are contractually prescribed via the following criteria, which are being shared publicly and in advance of the TGE:

No payment will be made unless and until the terms in the preceding section of this document have been met.
Once met, DLS’ shareholders will receive 8.5% of the contributions made during the TGE.
In addition, DLS’ shareholders will receive a 10% allocation of the tokens in the genesis block, placed in a smart contract that will vest monthly over a period of 48 months.
These criteria represent a far more transparent and equitable reflection of the reality of the transaction.

Rationale for the Compensation Structure
Tezos has been in development for over three years and was entirely self-funded until very recently September of 2016. When we finally accepted a few pre-orders, we spent over 80% of the funds on paying developers, and the rest on marketing and legal fees. Over the past three years DLS’ shareholders have never received any compensation for their work on Tezos, or even leased an office.
Too small of a token issuance meant DLS’s shareholders wouldn’t be properly incentivized to grow the network. Too big of a token issuance would give them a disproportionate amount of control over the network, especially given the built-in governance features. We split the reward in order to balance this tradeoff.
Tezos wants to foster the creation of multiple, decentralized core development teams who will compete for endowment by the Foundation. Relying on future largesses of the Foundation to reward past work is an impedance mismatch, and thus not optimal for inviting competition.
A large subset of the projects conducting TGEs or "ICOs" today are based on little more than a white paper and will remain in a development phase for years. Participants in those TGEs have no idea how much of their contributions will be spent bringing those projects to fruition - if they ever reach that point. In contrast, Tezos established a working testnet in February 2017 which can be accessed upon request to assess the state of the completion of the Tezos project. Most of the remaining development consists of performing security audits and improving the test coverage of the project so it can confidently launch as a public blockchain.
Conclusion
The terms above balance risk and reward in a manner consistent with a real product which we developed before asking any contribution. A vocal minority of the cryptocurrency community have strong feelings regarding the type of agreements they deem acceptable when launching networks, and equally intricate models that they use to justify their position. The Ethereum TGE, which helped Ethereum blossom into a successful project with a vibrant community, was decried as “unconscionable” by many a keyboard warrior. Tezos’ founders do not share this vocal minority’s ethos, nor do we ask that those who embrace it take part of in the Tezos TGE. We suggest instead that they find, and contribute to, a project which does share their values. If you think our project is cool, has merit, and elegantly solves an important problem using solid technology, we hope you'll contribute.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
May 09, 2017, 06:51:36 AM
Impressive project. But there is no cap and big funds get a discount. I think i'll buy some after it hits the market Smiley

Draper is doing the marketing Job for the team now trying to promote the project, but I have a feeling the project will be overfunded since they is no cap, if there is a cap I would have love to invest.

I think the team needs to put a cap on the fund even if it is ridulous
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
May 09, 2017, 06:37:24 AM
Interesting project! I'm waiting for ICO.
Activity: 644
Merit: 501
May 09, 2017, 04:59:33 AM
Activity: 28
May 09, 2017, 03:59:59 AM
I think Draper will buy in at ICO opening bell like big players in ETH.

I think what he is doing is simple, he is trying to market his baby. I don't know how much stake he has in the project. I know Tezo team have received angel investing before coming out for ICO

How much did they receive?

32% discount from ico rates
Activity: 343
May 09, 2017, 01:16:45 AM
I think Draper will buy in at ICO opening bell like big players in ETH.

I think what he is doing is simple, he is trying to market his baby. I don't know how much stake he has in the project. I know Tezo team have received angel investing before coming out for ICO

How much did they receive?
Activity: 406
May 08, 2017, 10:28:48 PM
waiting more info for any bounty social media Grin Grin
Activity: 279
May 08, 2017, 10:11:38 PM
What is the bounty campaigns here? And ICO time and minimum&maximum cap please, no more info is shown in OP. Please specify more.
Activity: 308
May 08, 2017, 09:59:37 PM

This roadmap is not too conservative?

I mean, the Foundation is endorsed with $11M and the only move is to hire one consultant manager with those $11M ??

With $11M you can a hire a huge development team...

kathleen updated typo error...

May 08, 2017, 09:36:48 PM
remember this guy?

Bitcoin Forum > Economy > Economics > Speculation (Moderator: Blitz­) > I'm All In - Sold My House!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/im-all-in-sold-my-house-508254

I'm All In - Sold My House!
10 March 2014, 02:01:52
Hi All,

I have been following Bitcoin for over a year and was the first person ever to put my house for sale for bitcoin.

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2013/03/alberta-man-accepting-bitcoins-in-exchange-for-home.html

Not sure if you followed my story from a year ago, but the house just sold on Friday, and will make the news tomorrow I suspect. When the house closed on Friday I got approximately 648 BTC for my house which is based on prices over the past 6 months when the deal was actively negotiated, legal fees, realtor fees, and a bunch of contract wording that I frankly don't understand. I am now all in! I really believe in bitcoin. It is the future of the world. I look forward to the continued price increase and one day I plan to own my own island. I will truly be a bitcoin billionaire by the time I am 25 I believe. This house was inherited from my father who passed away a few years ago and he always believed in me and told me I would make it big one day and so I shall. Wish me luck Smiley

Tay More
May 08, 2017, 09:33:43 PM
Is having no cap a good thing?  I'm kinda getting iffy investing in this if that were really so.  I feel that this kind of ICO is encouraging a big dump on listing day.
Who cares? If you are not in for the long term then stay away.

if you research and read the details you'll notice the other way round... when you dump draper buys... i'll buy
May 08, 2017, 09:31:14 PM
is it true that the founder works for Google X?

arthur used to work on google self driving car project (source: ether review podcast - kathleen)
Jump to: