Pages:
Author

Topic: The BitcoinCard : Vienna, Austria Workshop - page 3. (Read 14060 times)

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
I'm not questioning the tech tbh, but more whether people would prefer this over mobile phones (a social problem) despite improved security. Phones can do way more than this device so I'm not sure.

I think fungibility will come into it ... money transfer with a phone will not be very private and difficult for the average user to make it so (particularly with the aggressive, predatory data-miners like google listening in). From what I can see using money on these cards can easily be as good as cash, electronic cash.

Also seems like a 'hardware wallet' concept like this can be secure enough to extend to a "savings card" and a "spending card" .... wouldn't want to leave more than a hundred btc on a phone.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
It's been asked before but I'm not sure it's been answered: will I be able to put my own keys on it?
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
Hello!
This are very cool, and I am pretty excited. Do you think they would melt if I superglued tons upside down around the neighborhood on top of tall things? I live near hershey park, I could hide some there too on top of the large chocolate bar statues
donator
i agree with this.  i don't like all the colors.

I used to have similar taste. Then I went to south Korea...
donator
It would be a nice surprise to see bitcoincard in the next issue of Bitcoin Magazine  Shocked
Fat chance, apparently MNW is developing a competitor to it that he doesn't want anyone to know about, so he probably wouldn't allow such an article to be included.

My role at Bitcoin Magazine isn't to exclude legitimate stories of innovation in Bitcoin. It's to include legitimate news.

yesyes, Matthew, very honorable, but: what about including a bitcoincard in the magazine?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
Alot of the technical aspects we all had to sign a non-confidentiality however Erik (who is a MUCH better writer than I am has been preparing a blog post)

Is this blog post online somewhere?

Working on it
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
Any one hear of a disclosed price?
donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
Alot of the technical aspects we all had to sign a non-confidentiality however Erik (who is a MUCH better writer than I am has been preparing a blog post)

Is this blog post online somewhere?
Activity: 743
Merit: 500
When and where you place a pre-order one of that card? Thx
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
The video says that it can send text and pictures.

The screen does not appear to be set up for pictures of any significance, and...how would you get the picture?

From the video it looked like the types of pictures you could send would be little low res images like you'd see on a TI-83, for example.

You mean like on my Casio when I would type 07734 then turn it upside down?
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

The screen does not appear to be set up for pictures of any significance, and...how would you get the picture?

From the video it looked like the types of pictures you could send would be little low res images like you'd see on a TI-83, for example.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

I think that the video was mostly a generic promo developed for the card before they settled on using as a bitcoin device.  I doubt, seriously, that it will ever be able to send actual images even though the mesh protocol might support sharing of arbitrary data objects.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas

legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
I'm not questioning the tech tbh, but more whether people would prefer this over mobile phones (a social problem) despite improved security. Phones can do way more than this device so I'm not sure.

My understanding is that the argument for this sort of device over a phone is that it has the potential to be independent of traditional communication infrastructure, which, assuming the P2P infrastructure it uses is secure, would eliminate at least that attack vector.  I love that idea, however, I think there are two related criticisms to be made.  (1) Network independence depends on widespread enough adoption and it's hard to believe that level of adoption is achievable even over the next few years.  (2) It seems that to overcome (1) they'll use hubs that are connected to the world's standard communication infrastructure, and, therefore, possibly invalidate the security benefit, at least initially.  Though, perhaps I'm misunderstanding how these hubs will work, and maybe they don't plug into the existing infrastructure but simply act as higher power signals for the P2P network.  Admittedly I haven't read all the documentation they've provided, so if I've got something wrong let me know.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
This is the guy making it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6974216.stm

Also: I saw bitcoincard, and the device is legit. It has only minor kinks that are easy to work out.

I'll avoid posting more as they're quite sensitive to exposing their secrets right now, but the device is really cool. I'm hopeful for it.

First off:
- It's tiny. Credit card sized and < 1 mm thick
- Low cost (cheap device)
- Low power (runs off solar)
- Theoretically it should be secure, but I need to know more of their setup first to be sure their implementation is secure. I'm guessing there may be a couple of vectors they haven't thought of yet, but with proper help they should resolve this.

For merchants, it's trivial and safe to allow Bitcoin payments from these. They also look pretty nifty.

I can imagine one day, Intersango giving away a basket of these for free branded with our logo (or something). They are really cheap and simple devices.

Activity: 686
Wat
Will the bus still explode if it drops under 50 mph and is not in range of a gateway ?

Only if Keeanu Reeves is driving it.

Pic Related  Cheesy
Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
Will the bus still explode if it drops under 50 mph and is not in range of a gateway ?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
On a bus, nice. This takes RFC 1149 to a whole new level. Grin

Heh.

Dash7 would still be a better wireless protocol, even on a bus or a bird.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
On a bus, nice. This takes RFC 1149 to a whole new level. Grin
Activity: 686
Wat
I wonder how good they weather. I work a mile from where I live I wonder if I could tap them to trees to reach from my office to my house. Making a mesh around my house would be great & cool to experiment with.

Considering that they use only a solar cell for power, just put one into a ziplock bag and tape it down to the top of objects that pedestrians cannot see above.  Like the roof of a bus shelter, or the top of a vending machine.  If they are cheap enough, it doesn't much matter if someone eventually finds them.  By the time your's go bad or are stolen, either the mesh network would be self-sustaining or it likely will never be.

That is what I would do. Leave a trail of them on the way to school so that the message gets relayed.

If they are cheap enough I would leave them all over town....
Pages:
Jump to: