Pages:
Author

Topic: The combined sidehack-novak usb stick review thread. AKA GekkoScience BM1384 - page 5. (Read 26345 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Oh yeah, if any of y'all get a PM from a sidehack asking for money for sticks, and the pay address is not the 1BURGERAX address posted all over my threads, it's probably a fake sidehack so kick him in his tiny digital balls. I know at least one fake account exists (specifically this buttface) but who knows who else is out there, just waiting to steal your money.

yeah I have a copycat

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/phillipma1957-443374

annoying to say the least.

Trolls control a decent amount of this board.   They seem to go after things to mess with someone or some product.

What I have tried to do is just not get caught up in battles with  trolls.    I figure if it takes them more time to make a post then I spend on it I win.

But a copycat is taking it to next level, and really annoying for sure.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
Oh yeah, if any of y'all get a PM from a sidehack asking for money for sticks, and the pay address is not the 1BURGERAX address posted all over my threads, it's probably a fake sidehack so kick him in his tiny digital balls. I know at least one fake account exists (specifically this buttface) but who knows who else is out there, just waiting to steal your money.

yeah I have a copycat

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/phillipma1957-443374

annoying to say the least.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
legendary
I don't ship overseas like I use to, but I have shipped to valkir 3 times   NJ to Montreal and it is not cheap.

So I think 1 package to him from sidehack then valkir ships inside Canada saves money.

I am going to mine mine for a while maybe until October/November.

English is funny mine mine is correct I think?

I''m curious if you don't mind telling how big are you going with these miners? Smiley

10-12 to run with the node pc no more  just fun mining.  point them at ck's solopool .
legendary
For a quick reference, I can send 3 stick miners to Canada for $20. Or I can send 25 stick miners to Canada for $45. Or I can probably send 50 to Canada for $60. If it takes $8 to ship an individual's order within Canada, the end customer pays about $10 for the shipping from me to Valkir to himself instead of $20 from me to himself. Which if you're only buying one to three sticks, that's a fair portion of savings. And it also saves me having to fill out a freaking jillion customs forms, which I'm wholeheartedly in favor of.

Some folks (like CrazyGuy, who have well-known outlets already) will probably be reselling within the US, but as long as I still have stock and you know where to find me, anyone can buy straight from the source.
legendary
I don't ship overseas like I use to, but I have shipped to valkir 3 times   NJ to Montreal and it is not cheap.

So I think 1 package to him from sidehack then valkir ships inside Canada saves money.

I''m curious if you don't mind telling how big are you going with these miners? Smiley
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1274
Even with international shipping, unless someone is picking it up directly from the international distributor then they'll be paying for shipping twice: once to get the bulk buy to the distributor (this cost will likely be added to the distributors resale price), and again to have it shipped from the distributor to them.

But if it is cheaper to do it that way then yes, I too am glad sidehack is allowing that distribution model for the folk abroad.
legendary
Why would you need a group buy?  There's no discount on quantity, which is what group buys are used for.

I live in the USA where these are being made, and afaik the sticks will come direct from GekkoScience.

In US we should not need a group buy.  If there was a discount for quantity then yes we would have one opened up.

But I consider us lucky to be able to deal direct with GekkoScience.  I hope they keep rights to use and don't use a distributor as far as us.

Other countries if they can save on shipping or customs I'm all for group buy's.  It's nice of Sidehack to allow them to keep costs down for other countries.  Shows he cares about customers.
legendary
Why would you need a group buy?  There's no discount on quantity, which is what group buys are used for.

I live in the USA where these are being made, and afaik the sticks will come direct from GekkoScience.

Canada is costly to ship to.  A group buy may save money on shipping.

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
Mikestang just get into a group buy from your country!  Wink

Yep HerbPean You are on the list!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
Valkir has the Canada group going on.

I will order one for sure Cheesy
legendary
I'm not sure how the regional guys are going to want to do sales. I figure probably post a fresh thread in Group Buys but it'll be up to them. I'll have instructions on my end ironed out when I post the when-sales-officially-open date, which I'll make sure has at least a three-day lead after the announcement so people can get their various waterfowl aligned.

Looking forward to the announcement!  Hopefully it won't happen this weekend as I will be out of town, and I have a feeling these are going to go quick.

Good luck!
legendary
So I think I'll give until tomorrow afternoon to let any of the remaining three reviewers lodge complaints. I know all three are busy guys.

If nobody's opposed to the plan given the information so far presented by the five reviewers who have weighed in to some extent, and if none of the remaining three testers deliver any merited criticisms by tomorrow afternoon, I'll probably go ahead and start planning for taking in orders.

Right now for regional resellers I have:
MacEntyre (of bitshopper.de) manufacturing and distributing in Europe

valkir covering sales in Canada
chiguireitor covering sales in Venezuela
AJRGale covering sales in Australia

I'm not sure how the regional guys are going to want to do sales. I figure probably post a fresh thread in Group Buys but it'll be up to them. I'll have instructions on my end ironed out when I post the when-sales-officially-open date, which I'll make sure has at least a three-day lead after the announcement so people can get their various waterfowl aligned.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
I should probably check out TheRealSteve's modified Windows build with additional frequency support sometime. Anyone else used that one?
Be sure to read the update if you do (replace a DLL), but it's been as stable as stock cgminer 4.9.2 here (Win8).
legendary
With the exception of running a nine-stick test on Minera with 4.9.1 built in, all the testing and re-coding I've done on them was done with 4.9.0

I should probably check out TheRealSteve's modified Windows build with additional frequency support sometime. Anyone else used that one?

I have had trouble getting the time to sit down and full do the higher freq build in 4.9.0 or 4.9.2

I get busy in the summer and can't get 4 or 5 hours of me time. To do the build.

I can get my two sticks to work on 3 different windows 7 pc's in 4.9 or 4.9.2

and I can get them to work on my mac mini with windows 7 in a vm

Each pc has it own quirks with zadig but they all will do the job.

As a complete aside I ordered a 2tb samsung ssd and I am going to do a new pc build soon using windows 10.

I will set a lot of  time aside for the build including getting a good cgminer for these sticks letting me go to freq 300. 

I can tell freq 300 should be easy peasy with a few fans.

legendary
With the exception of running a nine-stick test on Minera with 4.9.1 built in, all the testing and re-coding I've done on them was done with 4.9.0

legendary
So it looks like we've gotten some sort of approval from four of the eight testers. Still waiting to hear anything from MrTeal, CanaryInTheMine, vs3 and ManeBjorn. I'd like to have approval from at least two of them before opening a sales queue. I've gotten word from vs3 and ManeBjorn that sticks have been received, so hopefully something pops up in the next few days. I'm tentatively looking to open sales next Wednesday with at least 600 sticks (more if I hear back from Bitmain about a potential second chip buy). As I've done before on limited-batch opening sales, I'll announce several days beforehand the time (and time zone) and orders will be queued on a first-come first-serve basis.

I'll be focusing on North America, I reckon. I'm supposed to send European customers to the German guy, who has received manufacturing data and tells me he'll be running out a tiny batch to test before doing a full run. Anyone in Europe specifically wanting a GekkoScience-made stick for posterity (like, you know, TheRealSteve) I can probably send a couple, but so's I don't cut in on his turf I'd just as soon stick to the Western Hemisphere.

I think I posted my note to the other thread, so just to repeat it here too -

Regarding feedback - I've shared my observations and feedback with sidehack already (in PMs, I'll leave it up to him if he wants to repost them here - that's fine by me). Aside from that this thread already covers 99% of the rest, so I'm not sure if there is any benefit of repeating that.

In a nutshell - a very nice design, the kind of solid plug-and-play stuff that you would expect for a USB miner, and of course if anyone wants to overclock it (I guess that includes everyone Smiley ) - don't forget to use a powered USB hub and cooling.

The only other thing worth mentioning again is cgminer. Version 4.9.0 was the only one that worked consistently for me (on Windows - both 7 and 8 and x86 and x64). For some reason the officially published 4.9.1 and 4.9.2 did not recognize the devices.

As for EU - if that's the same German guy (selling NF2s on bitshopper.de) I would highly vouch for him!

I got windows  7 to work  with 4.9.0 and 4.9.2 

zadig is tricky  right click run in admin and  have every app/program turned off except zadig. 

do a restart of windows 7 and it then lets zadig do the driver swap.   I have to do  each stick (I have 2) with the other unplugged from the hub.

Then start 4.9.2  making sure the amps are boosted a bit too high. Then the gear gets found easy.

Basically I really needed the usb meter to do set up.

When I get my larger order I will post how hard or easy to do 5 sticks and 10 sticks. 
legendary
Well, that's five of eight reported in favorably. Thanks, guys.
Pages:
Jump to: