Pages:
Author

Topic: The Correct Way of Powering Your Risers for your RX 470/480 - page 2. (Read 5102 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
My friend is running a rig with 4 RX 480 8GB Devil after market cards with the USB 3.0 and he has no issues. This tells me it's the quality of the risers you purchased are junk!
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
I stopped using the USB risers a couple of months ago and have switched to exclusively using the ones below.  I stole Scotts picture (sure he won't mind the free advertising, and I was the one that got him to stock them Wink)- I love them and would not use anything else - I have a big box of fried and non working USB cables.

https://i.imgur.com/5rYn162.jpg

I think that is a good choice.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
It's too late to see the warning.

my SATA connectors has bomb!! Cry
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
I stopped using the USB risers a couple of months ago and have switched to exclusively using the ones below.

Is there a hot-plug bridge implemented in such kind of risers?
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
aka "whocares"
I stopped using the USB risers a couple of months ago and have switched to exclusively using the ones below.  I stole Scotts picture (sure he won't mind the free advertising, and I was the one that got him to stock them Wink)- I love them and would not use anything else - I have a big box of fried and non working USB cables.

Activity: 506
Merit: 252
yep riser needs 5v as well ...

What about DUAL sata power to single molex?!

The sata cable uses usually the same AWG wire size as the molex cable. The bottleneck is the PLUG itself!!!

Solution 2 sata plugs to 1 molex plug.

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1400
That wont work...the risers use, and need the 5v input from the molex.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Nice warning about those kind of SATA cables. I burned a cable like that when I connected two RX480 cards to a single one of those. But the cable quality wasn't really great to begin with. The wires looked thick enough but the connectors were really loose ("pressured razor blades" kind of fitting in a lazy fashion). Although, 1 card works just fine if the cable quality (including the connectors) is decent (and you don't try to win overclocking contests).

I thought about modifying the risers like that but I ran into a false problem. I though: "nahh, the cards might need the 5V lane, not just the 12V". But I was stupid because I could simply leave the 5V wire as is (on a SATA/molex) and only cut/redirect the 12V. Although, as I said, 1 card per decent SATA cable works just fine for me, so I will leave it be. (But I replaced that PSU with one which has better SATA connectors. The old PSU could be hanging on the balance with 1 card.)
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
Unfortunately the PCIe Slot power is at least 5Amps or so for the 470/480. Some of the 6 pin 480 even use much more than 5 Amps. You can't power too many of them with the daisy chain Molex and especially the SATA connectors. Even the 8 pin 470s draw around 5 Amps from the slot.

If you have the space, best would be to install NO MORE THAN 1 of your 470/480 directly onto the motherboard.

I would avoid using any SATA connectors to power any of the 470/480 GPUs. They draw at least 60 watts and those SATA connectors are generally used for hard drives which draw about 5 watts on average.

I wouldn't use any more than 1 of the Molex connectors to power any 470/480. Usually a PSU has 2 sets of these (6 molex in total) so you can power 2 GPUS from each seperate chain.

The best method would be as follows. Usually most PSUs have 2x 6+2pin on each chain such as follows.

You would plug in one of those to your 470/480 #1 connection and the other would always be unused. Since the length wouldn't reach the next card. So you would buy a PCIe extension cable such as below

Plug in the unused PCIe #2 connector to this extension and splice the other end +12V and GND directly onto your Risers power.

This way you could run any number of high power 480s and overclock them to the max and you would never have any melt since the PCIe has plenty of power and is a higher gauge.

Pages:
Jump to: