Pages:
Author

Topic: The current permaban situation is ridiculous - page 2. (Read 1144 times)

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
I think this is unfair and plagiarism is a streamlined word, that is, everyone speaks the same words and if these words are 100% matched then all-ban) Karma, this is a complex system and it will definitely come back and stump those who are now calling for "honesty ". You can debate forever, but the fact that people are not given a second chance is cruel .. very cruel .. and from bots it will not help (just bots have the opportunity to buy accounts and continue to earn money, but for those who really care about the forum they have to leave stupid rules without the possibility of amnesty!

You are not allowed to post anywhere outside of your ban appeal thread. There is a possibility of "amnesty", you just need to follow the rules and not get banned for ban evasion while you do it.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 2174
Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator
First thing is, there is reason behind of every ban. Current situation isn't ridiculous really. This is a dangerous situation for plagiarized users. Honestly peoples can't copy paste others content unconsciously and that's the reason why admin think parma ban for plagiarist user. As admin already clear that, auto-ban doesn't mean its ban by automatically. Every plagiarism checked by moderators or admin. However, those good contributor got ban they had made mistake on paste and they forgot it. That's the reason why they getting ban. 
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
If its not automated how come there was a massive 1000 ish ban at once? each case has a different context, doubt you had the time to check it out with such a short amount of time with so many bans.
Posts are reported to moderators who check out the report. If the poster needs to be banned, the moderator sends a ban report up to a global mod or admin. The global mod or admin handles all of the ban reports they get at around the same time. Either the admins or global mods don't need to check every account because they trust the moderators to have already done so, or they check quickly because every such report contains references and links to the plagiarism post and to the source text so checking takes little time.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 3030
If its not automated how come there was a massive 1000 ish ban at once? each case has a different context, doubt you had the time to check it out with such a short amount of time with so many bans.

Most of them are like this:

Dev sir,I support this amazing project. I think the project is a serious one with great prospects. Thanks for bringing such a great concept to the society.

Dev sir,I support this amazing project. I think the project is a serious one with great prospects. Thanks for bringing such a great concept to the society.

How much time do you suppose one needs to "check" this?

Normaly they write behind the line " Good Luck Dev " too or something like this !

Payd posters or Bots for sure !

But easy to spot .
legendary

Most of them are like this:

How much time do you suppose one needs to "check" this?
Activity: 1232
Merit: 738
Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com
There's *no fucking way* anyone that has spent here years and has 1000+ comments knows from memory every single post they made. Im sure most of these cases genuinely don't know what they are banned for.
And the type of plagiarism users are getting banned for is mostly blatant literal copy-pasta. Ban "appeals" here mostly ask one question: how did you catch me [so that I could avoid it with my other alts]? Very rarely there is any real acknowledgement of wrongdoing, lots of excuses though.
they don't have to remember every single post they made,
they just need to remember whether they ever copy-paste from other source without citing
as suchmoon pointed out, most banned users are found guilty of blatant copy paste... so there's no point in appealing
legendary
Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094
Since the mods are busy banning over 100-200 accounts daily, it would be a tedious job to explain the reason of the ban and unlike some users who received messages of their posts being deleted, I have noticed that now users don't even receive such messages and most of them don't know the reason. They have been perm banned for posts made in 2016 and it's not possible to remember and some of these users have done this once (may or may not be "intentional" so I can understand them appealing to get to know this reason.

I can see some members were rather confused regarding plagiarism which sometimes is obvious as they are "humans" and hence it's better to provide a reference link and tell them a reason. I feel that sig-bans for users who have done this once by mistake is more appropriate as among 1-10k posts, doing this once should account for a sig ban rather than a perm-ban. It may not be done for signature campaigns or bounty campaigns as well.

It's just a suggestion but it's not feasible, then nothing can be done.
Activity: 546
Merit: 159
Someone in the forum used a bot to find plagiarism, then reported to mods. Mods, in turn, manually checked reports, and handled each reported case hand-by-hand.

Somone's been very busy reporting copy and pasters.

The person who is reporting them should probably just be made a mod and I've suggested so in the past. Seems silly us having to verify them and handle them all. It's quite time consuming.

So someone created a working bot to detect them?

I have no idea how he spots them but he does a good job.
copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298
It would be helpful if the last x number of your posts of yours that were reported and marked "good" by a moderator was included in the ban message. This would help cut down on these pointless threads in which the person claims they did nothing wrong, only to be shown proof they plagiarized.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
All plagiarism bans are human-checked.

There's *no fucking way* anyone that has spent here years and has 1000+ comments knows from memory every single post they made. Im sure most of these cases genuinely don't know what they are banned for.

You should know that you haven't plagiarized because you would never do such a thing.

administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
All plagiarism bans are human-checked.

You should know that you haven't plagiarized because you would never do such a thing.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
It's understandable since there's so many to do every day, but established members deserve it.

Agreed.  But these one or two post bots don't deserve a single IP packet wasted on them. 
Activity: 316
Merit: 25
Any established member, good trust or horrible trust, deserves at least an explanation of the ban. It is standard practice for *any* banning of accounts anywhere to give a valid explanation of the account ban.

It's understandable since there's so many to do every day, but established members deserve it.
All im saying is that it is nuts that a bot is filling permabans. Or in general permabanning (specially Hero+ members) with a generic message. This will only fill the meta section with people asking what happened because theymos never replies anyway.
What I know is Permanent bans handled manually and carefully, not by bots. Maybe someone actually created a bot to find plagiarism and reports all cases that his or her bot found, that caused nearly thousand of bans recent days. Nevertheless, perma-bans handled manually, not by forum bots.
In addition, you should read do this first.
2. Self-checking your past posts for plagiarism
You should do this before moving to the third step. Because it is your case, so you have a responsibility to self-check all of your past posts to find out that you actually plagiarised or not. If the self-check results show you actually plagiarsised, and if you did not contribute anything to the forum in the past, your story should stop in the second step.
Please copying and pasting each of your past posts into Search Box of Google Search, then enter. You finally will find your plagiarism in the past.
It might take you half of a day to finish your self-check.
Vod
legendary
No way. If you got banned with that generic message, you wouldn't know what happened because you have thousands of posts. Same for anyone that has 1000+ posts.

I would prob get some attention, because I am not in a sig campaign.  But most people that are banned have posts like this garbage.  No one should spend time investigating that.

legendary
All im saying is that it is nuts that a bot is filling permabans.

Stop repeating that nonsense. No one is getting banned by a bot.

And the type of plagiarism users are getting banned for is mostly blatant literal copy-pasta. Ban "appeals" here mostly ask one question: how did you catch me [so that I could avoid it with my other alts]? Very rarely there is any real acknowledgement of wrongdoing, lots of excuses though.

Which of your 3 accounts got caught?

I have 3 Sr Member accounts in this forum.

Most auto banned users are brand new spammers.   

The second point: you are most likely incorrect.

No way. If you got banned with that generic message, you wouldn't know what happened because you have thousands of posts. Same for anyone that has 1000+ posts.

Can you at least confirm if there is an actual bot filling permabans? and who thought that was a good idea?

because you posted the wrong thing 7 years ago.
Did you mean that if someone plagiarise today or two months ago, they are deserved with perma bans, whilst someone whom did it years ago should be considered as innocent. Plagiarism comes from copy & paste. Which forces lead to copy & paste (lack of time, stealing other ideas, lazy to compose own posts, financial benefits by stealing other ideas)?
Another point is there are actually second chances for good users, even they plagiarised in the past. Admin, actually made perma-banned users second chances if they have good net-effects. If not, admin say no with any second chance.

All im saying is that it is nuts that a bot is filling permabans. Or in general permabanning (specially Hero+ members) with a generic message. This will only fill the meta section with people asking what happened because theymos never replies anyway.
because you posted the wrong thing 7 years ago.
Did you mean that if someone plagiarise today or two months ago, they are deserved with perma bans, whilst someone whom did it years ago should be considered as innocent. Plagiarism comes from copy & paste. Which forces lead to copy & paste (lack of time, stealing other ideas, lazy to compose own posts, financial benefits by stealing other ideas)?

Another point is there are actually second chances for good users, even they plagiarised in the past. Admin, actually made perma-banned users second chances if they have good net-effects. If not, admin say no with any second chance.
If you, yourself, think that you are not quality enough to take such a second chance given by admin. It's your second fault (after the first one - past plagiarism), not admin's.
Vod
legendary

Most auto banned users are brand new spammers.   

The second point: you are most likely incorrect.
Unless you started an expert, everyone's posting history was pretty lame at the beginning.
I didn't start out as an expert, and I'm still nowhere near an expert--but I did not begin my time on bitcointalk plagiarizing other people's words.  That's the reason why most of these members are being banned for offenses committed months to years ago, not spam.  Members rarely get banned for spam anyway.

If you are going to permaban someone, at least have the decency to quote exactly what triggered something as harsh as a permaban.
I've suggested that a number of times, but it's never been implemented.  There are problems with the suggestion as well.  For one thing, most banned members know exactly what they did and are playing dumb when they start an appeal thread.  They just want the mods or other members to jump through hoops looking for examples of plagiarism.  

Second, banned members are still going to create appeals threads in which they're going to make excuses, plead for mercy, and blah blah blah.  Even if they got a PM upon receiving a permaban that showed exactly what they did wrong, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

Let's face it:  most people here are just wasting bandwidth and burying good posts under a mountain of shit.  That's why the Bitcoin/Altcoin Discussion sections aren't worth reading--and those ought to be some of the best sections here.  

I'm grateful the mods are kicking some ass right now, because bitcointalk definitely needs a good house cleaning.

Pages:
Jump to: