Pages:
Author

Topic: The current permaban situation is ridiculous - page 3. (Read 1144 times)

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Why would you work for free helping a forum that doesn't give a fuck about their users? We've had people waiting literally for years trying to recover their accounts which were hacked and now this. And it isn't like many of the people in charge here aren't rich and with the proper resources to get all of that fixed.

It's the other way around. Many users work for free to help clean forum from the leeching spammers who can't be bothered to do the one thing they should be doing here - discuss stuff like normal people, and not copy-paste garbage.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
Why would you work for free helping a forum that doesn't give a fuck about their users?

Because, as I just posted, you could be offered a paid mod position.  Smiley

This forum cares about legit users - not spammers.  I've made 17,000+ posts and never needed to plagiarize once!
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
Unless you started an expert, everyone's posting history was pretty lame at the beginning.
I didn't start out as an expert, and I'm still nowhere near an expert--but I did not begin my time on bitcointalk plagiarizing other people's words.  That's the reason why most of these members are being banned for offenses committed months to years ago, not spam.  Members rarely get banned for spam anyway.

If you are going to permaban someone, at least have the decency to quote exactly what triggered something as harsh as a permaban.
I've suggested that a number of times, but it's never been implemented.  There are problems with the suggestion as well.  For one thing, most banned members know exactly what they did and are playing dumb when they start an appeal thread.  They just want the mods or other members to jump through hoops looking for examples of plagiarism. 

Second, banned members are still going to create appeals threads in which they're going to make excuses, plead for mercy, and blah blah blah.  Even if they got a PM upon receiving a permaban that showed exactly what they did wrong, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

Let's face it:  most people here are just wasting bandwidth and burying good posts under a mountain of shit.  That's why the Bitcoin/Altcoin Discussion sections aren't worth reading--and those ought to be some of the best sections here. 

I'm grateful the mods are kicking some ass right now, because bitcointalk definitely needs a good house cleaning.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
So you run some sort of bot that automatically bans accounts and you don't even double check manually that it makes sense? If something is automated to auto-ban, then it can be automated to include what it caused it to autoban within the ban message as well.

So write something then!   All the new developments is taking place in the new software.

It is a sad period for someone who have perma-bans due to only a single plagiarism in the past, but for users whom actually repeatedly plagiarised, I think that they won't have chance to complain and come back.

Now, with such a ridiculous perma ban period, please spend your time to code a bot to create Ban Appeals (with template of Ban Appeals). Lazy guys can use the template easily and only have to change ID or username to finish their Ban Appeals. The question OP should consider is using the Ban Appeal Template results in another plagiarism or not. Think of it before coding such a bot. Lazy guys whom perma-banned might support and use it.  Wink

Why would you work for free helping a forum that doesn't give a fuck about their users? We've had people waiting literally for years trying to recover their accounts which were hacked and now this. And it isn't like many of the people in charge here aren't rich and with the proper resources to get all of that fixed. But let me spend my (non nonexistent) free time fixing it myself while under the fear of losing your account permanently because you posted the wrong thing 7 years ago.
Activity: 546
Merit: 159
It is a sad period for someone who have perma-bans due to only a single plagiarism in the past, but for users whom actually repeatedly plagiarised, I think that they won't have chance to complain and come back.

Now, with such a ridiculous perma ban period, please spend your time to code a bot to create Ban Appeals (with template of Ban Appeals). Lazy guys can use the template easily and only have to change ID or username to finish their Ban Appeals. The question OP should consider is using the Ban Appeal Template results in another plagiarism or not. Think of it before coding such a bot. Lazy guys whom perma-banned might support and use it.  Wink
Vod
legendary
So you run some sort of bot that automatically bans accounts and you don't even double check manually that it makes sense? If something is automated to auto-ban, then it can be automated to include what it caused it to autoban within the ban message as well.

So write something then!   All the new developments is taking place in the new software.
Why aren't the ban messages including clear links pointing to what caused the ban as one would expect out of sanity? You are asking for people to appeal to some generic message.

Explained (quite recently) - too much extra work for the hundreds of automated accounts being banned...

What's too much work is spending years here, generating good content for the forum, making connections with people, then have your account banned because some bullshit automated bot ran by someone lazy enough to not quote reason of bans, then get sent into a weird ass looking email which theymos will never read, appealing something you don't know because there are no details. Unbeliable.
Vod
legendary
Why aren't the ban messages including clear links pointing to what caused the ban as one would expect out of sanity? You are asking for people to appeal to some generic message.

Explained (quite recently) - too much extra work for the hundreds of automated accounts being banned...

Write a bot to help!  Maybe you'll get a paid mod position...  Smiley
From what I can see, around 900+ members got banned accused of "plagiarism/spam", with a generic message and no source of what triggered the ban to make a proper appeal, appeal which will never even be addressed anyway.

On the log there's only "autoban" without any more details for most people.

Many valuable members got banned for life and we cannot contact them again as we only talked across PM. Banned for life for what's most likely some bullshit reason done years ago which does not justify a permaban weighting in the contributions for the forum. Unless you started an expert, everyone's posting history was pretty lame at the beginning. Someone in power that wants to harm you will find something across 1000's of posts to ban you. Since they don't need to give details they can freely banhammerize anyone they please, ruining your account for life and everything that it means for the people that spent ages here.

If you are going to permaban someone, at least have the decency to quote exactly what triggered something as harsh as a permaban.

This is most likely a tool for someone in charge to get rid of people they don't like anyway.
Pages:
Jump to: