Pages:
Author

Topic: The Jet Cash coffee lounge thread. - page 6. (Read 2399 times)

staff
Activity: 1718
Merit: 1205
Yield.App
May 02, 2019, 11:28:01 AM
Hi Jet Cash, hi everyone!

So I cashed out a little today and treat myself with a pair of nice riding shoes. It's very light and comfy (might be the best pair I've ever bought in a while, all of this possible because of Bitcoin!).

*buying riding shoes while the bike build isn't even 100%*

Still need a few fixes on the frame and definitely going to make a new seat. Plus currently working on the DIY wiring since the original wiring diagram is too hard to understand or even look at. Already bought some wires, new flasher relay, and some new leds for the turn signals, might ended up with a new rectifier also. Maybe I'll finish it this month, hopefully, so that I can start banging the shoes on June when the rain season is over.

Last but not least, start 'em young!

copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
May 02, 2019, 08:18:16 AM
If you send me a link to that I'm up for testing it. I could do with one myself and all amazon seems to say for me is "long range" without giving an actual distance...

I don't know about morrisons food prices. I went in for a load of bread and they seemed to charge anywhere from 49p to £1.50 for the same loaf of brown bread (you can guess which one I picked up).
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 2444
https://JetCash.com
May 02, 2019, 03:50:49 AM
I quite like Morrison's at the moment. They seem to be trying to pull themselves up in the rankings by improving quality. I'm getting some stunning deals from the clearout shelves as well - 6 Burford Brown eggs ( normally £2.50 ) for 15 pence for example. They seem to be seriously challenged by technology though. As I have mentioned before, they have blocked their own splash page as having unsuitable content. They also block my sites because they picked up that I'm interested in Bitcoin, but they haven't blocked Bitcoin Talk. They've blocked coinbase pro, and bit blocks as well. However you can access them all if you use the Tor window in the Brave browser. They also promised to award an extra 100 points if you use their cafe ordering kiosk, that worked for about a week, but now it fails to give you the extras points. Those are only worth about 10 pence, so I haven't bothered to push the issue, sometimes I stay in the cafe for 6 or 7 hours, and I only buy one cup of tea.

I stripped the tablet, and everything thing is so integrated that it didn't seem worth trying to recover anything. A couple of the boards were fractured, and it isn't designed to be disassembled easily. There wasn't an SD or a SIM card in the machine.

Amazon sells a nice WiFi adapter for about £45. It has a range of up to about a kilometre, and it allows for full control of the chipset. I'll buy one and let you guys know how I get on with it, but first I need to sort out a few more things in the van.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
May 01, 2019, 01:01:23 PM
Some chipsets can pick up signals from 300m away now, it's very interesting...
If you crack btwifi don't keep it to yourself Smiley.

I started using Google pay and made myself look like a twat at morrisons as the contact less didn't work and the cashier looked quite old (don't think she knew what I was doing).
legendary
April 27, 2019, 04:08:44 AM
I'm posting this via the old desktop PC that I recovered. I'm using a 10" screen, and it's really challenging.
I'm also using Firefox, and the usual text adjustment doesn't seem to be available. I need to look into that. The good news is that I can actually read the text, so there can't be much wrong with my eyes.

OK - I've found the text size adjustment, so that makes life a bit easier. I don't really need a larger screen, as I just want to use this PC for penetration testing. There isn't any WiFi at the moment, so I need to buy a receiver with a suitable chipset.
legendary
April 16, 2019, 02:18:21 AM
I think the concept needs to be updated to include the new world of crypto. Maybe it should be a doe that runs a warren of ill repute for local bucks, and accepts Kitcoins. The Kitcoins could then be used to run a food bank, and to help orphaned rabbit kittens.

I would probably have got myself into trouble by featuring a black rabbit, especially if it wasn't transgender.
legendary
Activity: 4312
Merit: 3517
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
April 13, 2019, 09:54:03 AM
Here is a true story from my life.

A good few years ago I bought a derelict farm from a property development consortium. It had an agricultural tie on the land, and they couldn't get planning consent for development. It was next to a large unused field, and the place was overrun with rabbits. There was one large black one that I suspect was an escaped domestic pet. He didn't seem to be a part of any of the rabbit communities there, and I decided to write a story around him. I used the farm as a collection point for my antiques business, and the place was full of things I had acquired from house clearers. One of the items was a sporty remote control battery car toy. My idea was that this black rabbit learnt to drive the car, and he used it to tour the area looking for does with whom he could form relationships. I was going to create a website as a pseudo blog that described his adventures and activities. I even registered a domain name - Bang Bunny . This is parked at the moment, and I really ought to decide what I should do with it.

ok so this is a pretty late reply to this post but a story like that does have possibilities.

not sure if youre aware of this but some remote control battery powered 1/10 scale cars have stupid amounts of power and very sophisticated adjustable suspension systems and adjustable clutches for differentials and motor coupling . they can reach over 70 MPH easily and some have 4wd. ive seen them do mud racing, hill climbs and flat out "1/4 mile" racing (actual 1/10 of a real 1/4 mile ~130 feet, and hit 70+ mph though the traps, thats what my r/c car did, and i saw cars that made mine look lame).

iow your rabbit now has a vehicle that allows access to many locations that can have interesting backstories to them. plots abound in such a situation.
legendary
April 13, 2019, 06:14:20 AM
This buggy was parked outside the cafe on Hayling Island. It is based on a 1970s VW beetle chassis, and the body is a fibre glass kit that popular last century.

Activity: 902
Merit: 655
Do due diligence
April 09, 2019, 04:08:33 AM
It is unfortunate that mining discussions aren't as "live" as they were years ago. Most of time back then my questions could be answered without asking...and then I would ask stupid questions and still get polite and helpful answers almost immediately.

(Pardon the pun :-)) but you are increasing your own level of difficulty by mining on the go with equipment that may not be functional.
Though no one could have discouraged me from mining lucky me (another mining pun;-)) I was saved a ton of money and wasted time by having this forum and youtube as a resource.

Running a full node from a stationary computer with constant power and decent internet pretty much took care of itself: Armory-->port 3333 (will correct if someone updates, it has been awhile and it's late here)

Armory is still one of the wallets I use, however; changes to core and updated versions can make for tense moments for us laypeople after not trying to send for a year.

Of course  having bitcoin to hold is awesome for those who can manage to do that but I also really wanted to know how it worked....spending, sending: you know "using it" as money.
legendary
April 05, 2019, 12:50:55 PM
I've got rid of all my houses and the farm, and now I just have the garages. I need to empty those, and free myself from them as well.

I'm having a bit of a change in attitude. I've decided that it isn't worth trying to fight the deep state. One should just exploit it, and try to avoid the poisons and life threatening stuff it produces. I've just bought a 10" monitor from Amazon for example. It looks very good value, and it is just what I need to start using some of the stuff I got in the computer scrap clearance I did recently.

The switch from Windows to Linux Mint seems to be going well. I didn't make a current copy of the Bitcoin blockchain, and my backup is a bit out of date. I'm going to put the old Windows HDD into an external case, and I'll copy the chain from that over the weekend. I put a 2Tb SSD into the notebook, so there is ample room to run a node. There is a spare memory slot, and I should have bought some extra memory to double the ram, but that will have to wait until later. I still haven't worked out a method to run the ASIC miner, but that isn't a priority as it probably wouldn't have found any Bitcoin for me.

I'll probably put Kali on the old computer I revived. It is a small  desktop, and it fits into a laptop bag, so I can use that with the 10" monitor in McD and elsewhere. It will be interesting to explore their Wifi and do some penetration testing. I'm also keep to use something like WireShark as a packet sniffer. I'd like to know what sites are doing with my surfing and data transfers.

[SATURDAY]

Both items arrived, and I'm really pleased with them. I set up the external HDD, and everything is accessible. I can't run Core here, so I'll have to set up my node tomorrow, Probably at McD, as that has the most comfortable WiFi setup. I made a few video clips, so maybe I' do an unboxing and node move video.

The 10" screen works well when attached to the notebook. I'll try it with the mini-desktop tomorrow s well, and then I can decide if I wnt to load Kali on the machine.
Do due diligence
April 05, 2019, 01:43:19 AM
Yesterday wassn't the best of days. My second favourite McDonalds has introduced 90 minute parking restrictions, and the community centre has closed its kitchen for a refit. Windows messed me up big time with another stupid upgrade that I didn't want.

Right now I'm in another McDonalds, and I've installed the new SSD I bought last Boxing Day. I booted a Linux Mint ISO from a memory stick, and Ican't believe how easy it was to install. I'm posting this using the new setup. The screen is much clearer, and it looks as if it has revived my battery, so goodby Windows 10. I'll buy a case for the old drive, and move my nodes and blockchains onto the new system.

Now all I have to do is to remember all my passwords. I've set up Audacity, so I'll try to get some audio files onto Fit to Talk. Brexit and Bitcoin have been a bit distracting though.

I don't know what your housing market is like where you are but California has been out of control for some time. It is becoming more common for people who are making what most would consider to be a decent living to commute into city areas and stay in modified vans during the work week.
As more "dwellers" post themselves in parking lots, businesses change policy accordingly.
There are places with short time limits, who will tow and others who went the opposite way and allow days at a time.
I was paying 275-400 a week for a space in the Santa Cruz area...the first year was rougher than I wanted it to be.
I tried the Walmart parking lot thing once (that was enough) and stayed in my companies lot too many time for comfort...also when I found out that many homeless people liked to hang out in our parking lot for the free wi-fi

legendary
April 04, 2019, 10:26:05 AM
Yesterday wassn't the best of days. My second favourite McDonalds has introduced 90 minute parking restrictions, and the community centre has closed its kitchen for a refit. Windows messed me up big time with another stupid upgrade that I didn't want.

Right now I'm in another McDonalds, and I've installed the new SSD I bought last Boxing Day. I booted a Linux Mint ISO from a memory stick, and Ican't believe how easy it was to install. I'm posting this using the new setup. The screen is much clearer, and it looks as if it has revived my battery, so goodby Windows 10. I'll buy a case for the old drive, and move my nodes and blockchains onto the new system.

Now all I have to do is to remember all my passwords. I've set up Audacity, so I'll try to get some audio files onto Fit to Talk. Brexit and Bitcoin have been a bit distracting though.
Do due diligence
April 04, 2019, 03:01:00 AM
That is not looking "fun" Jet Cash ;-(
How are you? Beach yet?
legendary
March 31, 2019, 09:18:16 AM
[VAN UPDATE]

I'm starting to enjoy the challenge of "offgrid" vehicle repair and maintenance. The pin wasn't a roll pin, but is a bolt with a 10mm head with a smooth shank and a crew thread on the other end. The thread has a finer pitch than usual, so I'm glad that I purchased the correct part. The "grub screw" turned out to be the broken thread from the old pin, and it was easy to remove. The hardest part was fitting the new gaiter without removing the propshaft, and I still have to lock the top rubber flange to the gear lever bracket. I need to remove a plate, and I need to use a heavy duty Torx screwdriver to get it off. The screws will need a heavy duty driver to remove, but I have sprayed them with penetrating oil, and I'll hunt for my Torx set in a few days time. The gaiter is more or less in place,and it isn't fouling the propshaft or the gearbox outlet rail at the moment.

The gear lever has a pivot pin which is retained by a couple of plastic blocks, and one of those is missing. I wonder if that is why to linkage pin broke. You don't seem to be able to buy replacements, and I can't get confirmation that they are included in a stub lever replacement kit, so I'm going to have a go at making one. It isn't load bearing, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Bitcoin is the preppers friend, but so is knowledge and its exchange within communities. This is why sites such as Bitcoin Talk are important, and are becoming more so as we move through some interesting economic changes
legendary
March 30, 2019, 05:24:59 AM
The roll pin fell out of my gear change linkage, so I couldn't change gear. I've ordered and paid for a part (£2.56 + VAT ), it's come into stock, and I need to get a friend to collect it.  I think the garage that fitted a new clutch for me, put the old pin back in instead of fitting a new one. They were really bad, and I paid £700 for the fitting of a new clutch ( dual mass ).

I'm accumulation a collection of spares for the time I become a full time digital nomad, but I hadn't thought of including roll pins.

It's really difficult to find out what is going on in Venezuela, as there ia so much misinformation. Conoco is going to try to seize some Venezuelan tankers I believe, and Maduro is going to try to run them past Chinese and Russian naval bases in the Caribbean, and Washington doesn't have many bases down there. That may be the next flash point.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
March 29, 2019, 04:07:55 AM
@The Pharmacist - I believe there is more destitution and desperation in the US, The UK, Columbia, The Yemen, Gaza, and various other countries than there is in Venezuela, but they don't have so much oil. This means the US doesn't have to destroy their power supplies, and try to block aid from other countries, and steal their gold and assets.
I don't know about that, but I'm pretty ignorant about world affairs.  The US isn't a destitute country in general, nor is the UK for that matter.  In any case, I did see news reports about Venezuelans running out of money, food, and everything else.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter to the average citizen of Venezuela how much oil they have right now.  It's got to be absolute chaos there.  I'd love to hear from someone who lives there and is a member of bitcointalk.  Anyone know if they're well-represented here?

During that blackout that I went through in 2011, I remember very vividly being cold and extremely bored.  I'd come to rely so much on technology for entertainment that when the electricity went kaput, it really sucked.  Plus it was winter, so there wasn't a lot to do outside.  I ended up making an olive oil lamp and going through a gigantic jug of pennies and separating out the 95% copper ones from the modern junk zinc pennies.  Talk about eye strain.

Edit:  Jet Cash, why are you stuck in a supermarket parking lot?
legendary
March 29, 2019, 03:52:00 AM
I made it to the beach a few times, but I'm now stuck in a supermarket car park. It looks as if a retaining pin has fallen out, so it isn't a big job if I can find a new pin.

@The Pharmacist - I believe there is more destitution and desperation in the US, The UK, Columbia, The Yemen, Gaza, and various other countries than there is in Venezuela, but they don't have so much oil. This means the US doesn't have to destroy their power supplies, and try to block aid from other countries, and steal their gold and assets.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
March 29, 2019, 03:46:05 AM
I could not describe him as black.
Has the term "black" become offensive or something now?  This is the reason I hate politically correct terminology--it keeps changing with the times, and any term you use to refer to a identity-sensitive group will eventually wear out and become naughty.  I cannot stand the term "African-American" because it does not describe a person in general terms.  The black person could be Canadian or whatever, and it just drives me nuts.

Anyway.  I just bought a nice Dietz lantern that should come in handy for power outages, which I'm now trying to prepare for.  I've been thinking lately about how my town had no power for about 3 days and I was caught unprepared--and it was freezing.  There was what the town called a 'warming center' where people could go so as not to freeze to death, and I had to go there to charge my cell phone.  It was truly an awful experience, and I can't imagine what Venezuelans are going through.  At least it's not really cold there, but they've got so many problems on top of the power cut that they've got to be suffering.

I also got a nice hand-crank radio with a light on it, and it's also solar-powered.  Very cool stuff.

Do due diligence
March 29, 2019, 03:15:56 AM
That's rough old man! Did you make it to the beach yet? Rooting for you.
legendary
March 26, 2019, 04:25:09 AM
Life certainly seems to throw it challenges at times. I gave up trying to get a garage to change the prop shaft bearing, and I did the job myself. I don't really understand why nobody wanted to do the job, it was pretty easy. Only five bolts to undo, and replace the bearing, then bolt it back together. The hardest part was removing the old inner bearing race, and I ended up smacking that off with a hammer and a cold chisel. I took the truck for a couple of short runs, and the bearing seemed to be fine, so I decided to go to the beach at Hayling Island. Just after I'd run down the motorway, and across the causeway, I managed to shred the serpentine belt on the engine. I was about 20 yards from a garage, and I decided to get them to fix it. That cost me £190, as I got them to replace the tensioner at the sane time. The van is certainly running a lot better now, and I took it to the McDonalds just outside Portsmouth to get some breakfast and to talk to you guys..

[Thursday update]

I thought that I was on a roll, but life keeps throwing its challenges. I've now got a problem with the gear change linkage. I'm thinking of changing career to become a motor mechanic in my retirement.
Pages:
Jump to: