Pages:
Author

Topic: The Jet Cash coffee lounge thread. - page 8. (Read 2399 times)

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
March 11, 2019, 09:50:08 AM
I've given in and bought a pack of spiral bound notebooks for £2. I'm trying to do so many different things, that I keep forgetting settings and passwords.
Ah, you're a bit of old school mixed in with new school.  I hope to be exactly that if and when I get to be your age--most of my family never caught up with the internet revolution and sort of just let that pass them by.  Not sure how anyone functions in today's world without knowing the basics of computers.  

I also use a spiral-bound notebook for keeping passwords and other stuff like that in.  Then again, I'm a fountain pen enthusiast and thus enjoy writing as much as I can.  I usually keep all the notebooks I've used over the years, and it makes for interesting reading as time goes on.  I've found that my memory often fails me, but I can always tell what I was doing or thinking if I've left a paper trail, so to speak.  A notebook may catch fire, but it's not going to crap out and become unrecoverable like my last computer recently did.  That was inconvenient.

Hey, you changed your username.  Is that recent?

July 12th, 2018. Wink
Ah, gotcha.  I just haven't seen you around in a while.

BTW, not that anyone here really cares, but I had to change my password when I got my new computer so it'll show up as changed on my trust page.  For some reason I didn't write down my password for bitcointalk in any notebook and luckily I was able to change it on my phone.  I thought I was going to get locked out, which would have sucked to no end.
staff
Activity: 1718
Merit: 1205
Yield.App
March 11, 2019, 09:31:09 AM
It has given some people the chance to make life changing decisions, and to improve the quality of their lives.

Yes, 100%! Here I quote something from my reddit account:

I knew Bitcoin back in 2013. My life is waaaay different now. Not that I'm trading and stuff, but with Bitcoin, I can provide services online that I couldn't think of before, and get paid in Bitcoin.

A response to a doctor's post that says:

Doctor has no school loans anymore. I still hold some, but it's pretty much changed my life.

I still encourage my friends to at least read about Bitcoin, specially now that Indonesia *finally* treats Bitcoin as a commodity that can be bought and sold.
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 2444
https://JetCash.com
March 11, 2019, 09:13:43 AM
Congrats - that is really the great thing about Bitcoin. It has given some people the chance to make life changing decisions, and to improve the quality of their lives. There is no advantage in having a wallet full of Bitcoin if you aren't happy and having a great life.
staff
Activity: 1718
Merit: 1205
Yield.App
March 11, 2019, 08:51:12 AM
Hi Jet Cash, may I join this lounge?

I've been doing a bit of trading in Bitcoin, and I've just opened a buy position at £2,960. I've made some small profits from my trading, but I looked through my recent history. I see that I've sold at prices as low as £2,620. I'd probably have made more money by just leaving my purchases alone, instead of trying to be clever and boost my holdings through trading.

I think I will never make money from trading. Hodling, maybe, but I remember the exact time when I sold a handful of my BTC at $270 back in 2015 because I really need the money for the wedding. No ragrets though, my daughter turns two tomorrow. Couldn't be happier!

legendary
March 11, 2019, 05:56:31 AM
Yep, and the first "computer" I worked on was and IBM 421 tabulator. I worked in the group accounts department for a major oil company in London. "programming" involved using plugging short wires into a plugboard to produce the output. I taught myself basic assembler, and moved onto 1401 computers when they started to replace the 421s.

Here is a picture of a plugboard

btw - there is no off topic in this thread. It is coffee room chat, so everything goes except for fighting.
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
March 11, 2019, 05:42:21 AM
A bit off from the current discussion, but are you really 77? Shocked

Maybe you are Satoshi?
legendary
March 11, 2019, 05:39:54 AM
I've been doing a bit of trading in Bitcoin, and I've just opened a buy position at £2,960. I've made some small profits from my trading, but I looked through my recent history. I see that I've sold at prices as low as £2,620. I'd probably have made more money by just leaving my purchases alone, instead of trying to be clever and boost my holdings through trading.
legendary
March 09, 2019, 07:35:03 AM
The fundamentals still look strong, ...

Bitcoin has fundamentals?

Wash your mouse out. Smiley

Of course it has, you only need to look at the way the bankers are trying to take advantage of it.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575
Do not die for Putin
March 08, 2019, 03:20:00 PM
The fundamentals still look strong, ...

Bitcoin has fundamentals?
legendary
March 06, 2019, 10:54:37 AM
I've given in and bought a pack of spiral bound notebooks for £2. I'm trying to do so many different things, that I keep forgetting settings and passwords. I've got into configuring the VPS that I've had for a year or so, and I've never used it, so I'm having to teach myself VPS management. I'm shocked by the hacking attempts that are being reported - anything up to 3,000 per day. I decided that I would lock it down as much as I could before I moved on to installing the new forum software to test.

I'm also interested in the Bitcoin price as well. It seems to be crossing a variety of indications and giving mixed and contradictory messages. The fundamentals still look strong, but I'm having trouble with working out trading strategies to reduce the cost of accumulation.
Activity: 902
Merit: 655
Do due diligence
March 04, 2019, 10:27:51 PM
Well it's basically a tip, so if the odd transaction fails it doesn't really matter. It may well be safer than leaving a cash tip on a plate, and then discovering that another diner has taken it. Or, even worse, having a staff box on the counter, and the only staff the get the money is the manager. I wonder when we will see a waitress leave a card with some QR codes on them for her tip.

What is more likely is that the girl flexes her leg ( assuming that is where she placed the QR code ), and the transaction fails as a result of a bad address. It won't be long before a stripper fits a near field reader somewhere, and just takes the tip as she sits on your lap.

That would be very cool: a QR code tattoo on a stripper, perhaps they could have a lighting system that goes off to simulate "making it rain"
legendary
Do not die for Putin
February 27, 2019, 09:25:34 AM
What is more likely is that the girl flexes her leg ( assuming that is where she placed the QR code ), and the transaction fails as a result of a bad address...

It would have to be a really "quick service" to finish before the transaction is confirmed. Once more, the sin comes with its punishment: If the transaction does not "confirm", the service could also be "not confirmed"... you know ....
legendary
Do not die for Putin
February 27, 2019, 09:22:18 AM
If you are selling cars or real estate, then sure, wait for some confirmations first

Paying with a card you are identified, so, yes, many thing could potentially happen, but you can be held responsible for them.
Activity: 1218
Merit: 534
February 26, 2019, 04:07:12 AM
If your into pop music its crazy the amount of hits Max Martin has produced in the past 2 decades, its absurd.  Just shows how the music industry is dominated by a small group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UViOO67BGZs

legendary
February 26, 2019, 03:36:59 AM
Well it's basically a tip, so if the odd transaction fails it doesn't really matter. It may well be safer than leaving a cash tip on a plate, and then discovering that another diner has taken it. Or, even worse, having a staff box on the counter, and the only staff the get the money is the manager. I wonder when we will see a waitress leave a card with some QR codes on them for her tip.

What is more likely is that the girl flexes her leg ( assuming that is where she placed the QR code ), and the transaction fails as a result of a bad address. It won't be long before a stripper fits a near field reader somewhere, and just takes the tip as she sits on your lap.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
February 25, 2019, 07:28:48 PM
I'm not 100% sure but the others with better knowledge on the topic will correct me if I'm wrong, but some wallets have the possibility to re-broadcast the transaction with higher fee to a different bitcoin address. (If you have accidentally sent the bitcoins to somewhere and you realize it immediately).
You can certainly use replace-by-fee to change the target address of a transaction, by RBF is dependent on the sender setting nSequence to less than MAX-1. The merchant can make a stipulation that they won't accept transactions which are opted in to RBF, and if someone sends one anyway, they can refuse to accept it until it has confirmed.

There's great info about RBF here: https://bitcoincore.org/en/faq/optin_rbf/. I'd also draw your attention to the paragraph "Why aren’t unconfirmed transactions safe?"

As I said, it's not impossible to double spend an unconfirmed transaction, but for small value things like groceries or a meal (or strippers), it just isn't worth the effort and would be a lot easier to scam with a credit card. Of course, if you are sending or receiving what you would deem a "non-trivial" amount of money, then wait for some confirmations first.

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629
Vires in Numeris
February 25, 2019, 06:37:27 PM
I wonder how they get confirmations before they move to the next stage.
Now, compare that to paying with bitcoin. I eat a meal and pay with bitcoin. It takes 20 seconds for me to open my wallet and scan the QR code. My transaction is immediately broadcast. In 20-30 minutes (usually, depending on the fees, block frequency, etc, but certainly nowhere near 3 days), my bitcoin reaches the restaurant's wallet. What can I do in those 30 minutes to stop that transaction happening? Launch a 51% attack on bitcoin for the sake of 50-100 bucks? Laughable really.

An unconfirmed bitcoin transaction is both a lot more secure and a lot more rapid to "confirm" than an "unconfirmed" credit card transaction. I think we as a community don't do a great job of explaining that to people. 20-30 minutes is lightning (pardon the pun) fast compared to credit cards, and a lot more difficult to reverse once broadcast.
I'm not 100% sure but the others with better knowledge on the topic will correct me if I'm wrong, but some wallets have the possibility to re-broadcast the transaction with higher fee to a different bitcoin address. (If you have accidentally sent the bitcoins to somewhere and you realize it immediately).
Or, if I'm wrong and it's only possible to raise the transaction fee if you have broadcasted it with low or zero fee and you can only change the fee and not the bitcoin address itself.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
February 25, 2019, 05:10:33 PM
Bear with my following stream of consciousness - there's a rational thought in there somewhere, I promise.

I've always though it strange that we say it takes 10, 30, 60 minutes for bitcoin to confirm like it's a bad thing, or like that is particularly slow. I think it's a failing of grammar on our part. Let's compare crypto with a credit card. I eat a meal and pay by credit card. It takes a minute or two with a card machine, and then my transaction is paid, right? Nope. My transaction has reached the credit card company's servers. It will take several days before the money actually reaches the restaurant's bank account. In that time, a lot of things could happen. I could call up and dispute the charge. I could claim my card was lost or stolen. I could claim I was defrauded. I could max my card out and not have the funds to pay it. Etc. Etc. There's loads of things that could happen in those three days that would leave somebody, either the restaurant or the credit card company, out of pocket for my meal.

Now, compare that to paying with bitcoin. I eat a meal and pay with bitcoin. It takes 20 seconds for me to open my wallet and scan the QR code. My transaction is immediately broadcast. In 20-30 minutes (usually, depending on the fees, block frequency, etc, but certainly nowhere near 3 days), my bitcoin reaches the restaurant's wallet. What can I do in those 30 minutes to stop that transaction happening? Launch a 51% attack on bitcoin for the sake of 50-100 bucks? Laughable really.

An unconfirmed bitcoin transaction is both a lot more secure and a lot more rapid to "confirm" than an "unconfirmed" credit card transaction. I think we as a community don't do a great job of explaining that to people. 20-30 minutes is lightning (pardon the pun) fast compared to credit cards, and a lot more difficult to reverse once broadcast.

So to answer your question, they probably don't wait for confirmations. Once a transaction has been broadcast, and you can see it's not been broadcast with 0 fee, you are quite safe to move on, provided it's for an everyday sum of money. If you are selling cars or real estate, then sure, wait for some confirmations first.
legendary
February 25, 2019, 03:35:19 PM
Las Vegas Strippers Accept Bitcoin via QR Tattoos.

This has been posted before, but it seems to have become more popular. This is the latest article from Bitcoin.com
https://news.bitcoin.com/las-vegas-strippers-accept-bitcoin-via-qr-tattoos/

legendary
Do not die for Putin
February 25, 2019, 11:46:51 AM
Here is a pic of one -

1 sat for the military green gas tank if it ain't leaking.
Pages:
Jump to: