Pages:
Author

Topic: The Lightning Network Reality Check - page 2. (Read 3417 times)

legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
January 20, 2016, 08:31:38 PM
I'm not wrong though, constructing such a transaction is possible. It is either 2 MB or SegWit right now, because both would result in an 'effective block size' of 4 MB which is definitely not safe (in addition to lack of consensus in regards to it).

no...

segwit1mb would be accepted by nodes that are standard pure 2mb limit

remember anything from 0byte to 2mb is accepted.. its not a 2mb or reject.. its 0byte to 2000byte  ..

for instance there are miners today that refuse to fill up the blocks to the top. some have extra preferential settings to form blocks of whatever size they please, as long as the maximum is less than MAX_BLOCK_SIZE
for instance Antpool loves to make 0.2mb or 0.7mb blocks by preference:

0.0002mb(0.2kb)
0.0002mb(0.2kb)
0.731mb(731kb)
0.0002mb(0.2kb)
0.731mb(731kb)

yet these small blocks are accepted.. yes mindblowing(sarc) but true

segwit miners can do the same. only create blocks of 1mb(effective feeling of 2mb) of data based on a preference setting.
just like many miners try to stay at 0.2-0.7 right now, even if there is the capacity for more because of the MAX_BLOCK_SIZE = 1000000;, the preferential setting takes care of smaller block creation

they just choose to have another setting that is whatever they want, but lower than MAX_BLOCK_SIZE

segwit miners can do the same.. have the preferential setting at 1000000 while having the MAX_BLOCK_SIZE = 2000000; and they only make blocks based on preferential setting while simultaneously accepting blocks from there peers based on MAX_BLOCK_SIZE = 2000000;

win win

as any data whether its 1mb, 0.5mb 1.5mb or 1.99mb would all get accepted by MAX_BLOCK_SIZE = 2000000;
Activity: 167
Merit: 100
January 20, 2016, 08:09:17 PM

you can send unconfirmed transactions over email, sure. i don't think you can meaningfully/usefully send them over the dogecoin blockchain; if you did, it would just be putting data on the dogecoin blockchain not making use of its coins/crypto per se

My initial post referencing dogecoin was had an incorrect example and was confusing so I deleted it and replaced it with one that was clearer (within a minute). What you appear to be saying is that if I email someone a bitcoin transaction, for example "I'm paying you 1 bitcoin", that is the same as an actual bitcoin transaction. Even though there is nothing that happens on the blockchain.

If that is the case, then a transaction in dogecoin is also a bitcoin transaction if the two parties agree that the dogecoin transaction represents (is a proxy for) bitcoin.

With the LN, your transactions are not bitcoins, they are a proxy for bitcoins. Once off-chain, the transactions are supposedly pegged to the value of bitcoins but there is no 100% enforced and direct connection. The fact that both parties locked something in the bitcoin network is immaterial. The subsequent transactions are off-chain, no different from alt-coin transactions between parties.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115
January 20, 2016, 07:27:45 PM
It isn’t just Adam. There are a few Core developers (including Jeff and Gavin) behind a hard fork to 2MB. BitFury, the biggest western mining pool is behind it; quite a few economic players with a lot at stake are equally convinced Lauda is wrong.
I'm not wrong though [...] It is either 2 MB or SegWit right now, because both would result in an 'effective block size' of 4 MB which is definitely not safe.

You sure?

https://botbot.me/freenode/bitcoin-core-dev/2016-01-20/?msg=58304091&page=2

I think consensus has been reached that 2MB is tolerable.
legendary
Merit: 1008
January 20, 2016, 06:46:01 PM
2 MB blocks are dangerous at the moment because a transaction could be created that would take too long to validate (10 minutes or more).

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/97e5b55c6fabf5deb57be13bdd8f8b9c90d21570
legendary
January 20, 2016, 06:13:20 PM
I guess we slid off-topic again. Sorry. Undecided

Here's a good read:
I’m sorry, engineers of Bitcoin, but you’re wrong with your fears that a larger block will break Bitcoin.  You’re doing what Donald Knuth told you not to do – premature optimization.  We have no hard data that indicates a 2MB block will be a significant issue with block propagation or centralization. 
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
January 20, 2016, 06:06:29 PM

Why would core include it if they're not going to raise the limit anyway? Makes sense.

Maybe they are planning to raise it eventually?

I'm sure they are.  Obviously "eventually" doesn't seem to be a palatable time frame
for many, which is why there is contention.

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
January 20, 2016, 06:00:00 PM
Why would core include it if they're not going to raise the limit anyway? Makes sense.
It will be included (or it might be merged already, I'm not sure). In addition to this there is a BIP (143) that solves the validation time being quadratic, so that the time becomes O(n).

It is highly likely that it will eventually be raised (probably after IBLT and similar improvements).
legendary
Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048
January 20, 2016, 05:58:36 PM

legendary
January 20, 2016, 05:57:10 PM
Thanks for the info.  I did not know about this.

Skimming over the comments... I wonder what's your rebuttal to this:

There's a pretty significant flaw in reasoning here: The other miners will be busy mining away on blocks that don't contain this hypothetical 11-minute transaction, so they'll likely surpass the chain that has it in the time it takes to verify it and build another on top... It is far more likely that the monster block would just get orphaned if it took that long to verify.

The problem is that every node on the network - not even just miners - will be validating that transaction, regardless of whether it ever actually ends up being in a mined block.  It is a valid transaction, which will be broadcast to all nodes.  And an attacker could broadcast many such transactions.

I'm not sure that is a sufficient reason to have/keep a blocksize limit at the protocol level.  Why can't problematic transactions should be rejected by nodes, for example, by a simple timeout mechanism?

My understanding is that there is going to be a limit on the number of sigops a scipt can require that will fix this problem, but I don't know when it's coming.  It's not in 0.12.

legendary
January 20, 2016, 05:54:35 PM

There's a pretty significant flaw in reasoning here: The other miners will be busy mining away on blocks that don't contain this hypothetical 11-minute transaction, so they'll likely surpass the chain that has it in the time it takes to verify it and build another on top... It is far more likely that the monster block would just get orphaned if it took that long to verify.

The problem is that every node on the network - not even just miners - will be validating that transaction, regardless of whether it ever actually ends up being in a mined block.  It is a valid transaction, which will be broadcast to all nodes.  And an attacker could broadcast many such transactions.

I'm not sure that is a sufficient reason to have/keep a blocksize limit at the protocol level.  Why can't problematic transactions should be rejected by nodes, for example, by a simple timeout mechanism?

My understanding is that there is going to be a limit on the number of sigops a scipt can require that will fix this problem, but I don't know when it's coming.  It's not in 0.12.

legendary
Terminated.
January 20, 2016, 05:53:33 PM
Thanks for the info.  I did not know about this.

It isn’t just Adam. There are a few Core developers (including Jeff and Gavin) behind a hard fork to 2MB. BitFury, the biggest western mining pool is behind it; quite a few economic players with a lot at stake are equally convinced Lauda is wrong.
I'm not wrong though, constructing such a transaction is possible. It is either 2 MB or SegWit right now, because both would result in an 'effective block size' of 4 MB which is definitely not safe (in addition to lack of consensus in regards to it).
legendary
January 20, 2016, 05:53:11 PM
This seems to be a controversial point. I believe even Adam Back thinks 2MB blocks are safe. I’d have to find the sauce tho...
Why do you say they are not safe?
Because it is possible to construct a transaction that takes too long to validate (10 minutes any more).

Can you link to some paper or something?

I've never heard this claim before and would like more information on what
you're talking about.

If Adam Back thinks 2MB are safe, then I agree with the good Mayor and would
say that it is in fact controversial at least.

I should add that larger block capacity via SegWit does not make the script problem any worse, because the max 'witness-less' blocksize would still be 1MB, so the largest possible script would still be 1MB.

legendary
January 20, 2016, 05:50:33 PM

legendary
January 20, 2016, 05:48:59 PM
This seems to be a controversial point. I believe even Adam Back thinks 2MB blocks are safe. I’d have to find the sauce tho...
Because it is possible to construct a transaction that takes too long to validate (10 minutes any more).

you're talking about.

legendary
January 20, 2016, 05:36:55 PM

legendary
January 20, 2016, 05:29:52 PM
Thanks for the info.  I did not know about this.

legendary
Terminated.
January 20, 2016, 05:28:40 PM

you're talking about.
The validation time is quadratic. You can find information about this yourself easily or you can watch the first scaling workshop. The first thing that comes into mind is this post on reddit. The piece of information is also mentioned on Bitcoin.org, under
legendary
January 20, 2016, 05:26:54 PM

you're talking about.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3yulwv/any_examples_of_the_10_minute_script_thats_a/
legendary
January 20, 2016, 05:23:58 PM

you're talking about.

legendary
January 20, 2016, 05:10:41 PM
The fact you've said it multiple times doesn't make it true.  Smiley
It does, because it is a fact. The validation time is quadratic. It does not make my claim invalid just because:
A) You don't understand the issue.
B) You don't know how to create this transaction yourself.

One likely scenario is that the requirements on the nodes will increase due to the natural emergence of Bitcoin on the market. If this happens more people will depend on Bitcoin and be devoted to Bitcoin. Even with both the introduction of light clients and the price kicking our teeth in for the last three years, we still have 5648 nodes running. I think people confuse "real decentralization" with running a full node being some kind of a human right. It's not.
Pages:
Jump to: