Pages:
Author

Topic: The most iconic bitcointalk threads. History on Bitcointalk. - page 2. (Read 5278 times)

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Today, I got the reply from theymos that he took over the forum since 2012.
Here is a detailed clarification from theymos, and I thought that @xtraelv should add it into the OP, because it is one of important things of the forum.
There was a period where both Sirius and I were active administrators. For convenience, I reckon Jan 1, 2012 as when I became head administrator, though it was actually a gradual transition starting before and ending after that.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924
฿ear ride on the rainbow slide
I am amazed no one else has posted this yet (that I have seen)... This set the standard for the most retarded threads for quite some time.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/platypus-67933

I've added it. Platypus males are quite venomous and can incapacitate a human.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_venom
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
I am amazed no one else has posted this yet (that I have seen)... This set the standard for the most retarded threads for quite some time.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/platypus-67933
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
If you buy something with BTC and you feel you might regret it - just buy more BTC.
I suppose that would be sound advice for something that could only be purchased with crypto.  If that's not the case, using fiat makes a hell of a lot more sense.  Spending bitcoin just to spend it has always been a silly concept to me, but I'm one of those folks who believes bitcoin is more an investment asset than a currency.

And that thread also demonstrates people were being bitches to each other on bitcointalk even back in 2012.  Everyone seemed a lot friendlier in the first couple years of this forum's existence from the threads I've read from that time period.  

Edit:
Aw man, I was a lurker here when MPOE-PR was still active, and I thought he wrote some of the best posts.  He was a complete bastard and used to mercilessly give people the smackdown, but MPOE-PR knew how to write.  I think by the time I registered in 2015, he'd already been banned, and I don't know the whole story behind that.  He had a great avatar, too.
legendary

He paid 9BTC. That is, today it would cost almost 60k USD. This is cool as a curiosity, but it should never discourage using BTC for transactions like this. On the contrary, it should stimulate. But often cases like this or that pizza make us think several times before spending any BTC we own. This is sad

1 GRAM RHODIUM COIN = US $162,95

It is the people that use bitcoin and altcoins as a means of exchange that will eventually assist it to become adopted by the masses.

My theory is that when BTC reaches a high value it will become more stable and trading will be done in satoshi increments or BTC will be used for inter exchange transactions but other crypto will be used for smaller transactions.

I have also paid phenomenal amounts for items purchased with BTC and items purchased with altcoins. But I have also paid minuscule amounts for BTC and ETH at times and mined coins at a fraction of their current value. Some of the items I purchased now have great sentiment value. Someone once said to me:" Shit happens in crypto trading. If you have regrets then you should not buy Crypto."

If you buy something with BTC and you feel you might regret it - just buy more BTC.
Activity: 672
Merit: 526

He paid 9BTC. That is, today it would cost almost 60k USD. This is cool as a curiosity, but it should never discourage using BTC for transactions like this. On the contrary, it should stimulate. But often cases like this or that pizza make us think several times before spending any BTC we own. This is sad

1 GRAM RHODIUM COIN = US $162,95
Activity: 1036
Merit: 332
DMs have been disabled. I am busy.
Wow, what an archive of knowledge, definitely going to get lost in this for the next few hours.

Wish I had some +merit left for you as I know this must have taken a long time to collate.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
legendary
October 09, 2011,[ANN] Litecoin accounced by Charlie Lee (SCRYPT)
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-litecoin-a-lite-version-of-bitcoin-launched-47417
You named that one wrongly.

Litecoin is a [SCAM]

He created it with claims it was GPU resistant and you will also find me posting in there about it
saying he used scrypt settings low enough to fit in a GPU.

The truth was the coin creator was GPU mining for a VERY long time while everyone else was CPU mining, until he released the GPU code
(if my memory serves me correctly - though it may not - it may have been as long as a year?)

I haven't been around long enough to know all the scandals and accusations. I tried to look for the post but haven't found it yet.

This is why threads like this are so cool. Some of the Legendaries like yourself share their knowledge.

I suppose the same happened with ASIC mining. Some of the ASIC resistant coins like Monero experieced unusually high hashrates months before the ASICs were announced.

Scrypt was also supposed to be ASIC resistant too but eventually they figured out how to build a chip for it. Some of the early ASICs were horrendously expensive but also were current for a long time (Unlike sha256 which seem to outdate quite quickly)

Nearly all Algos now have ASICs with bitcoin leading the way for the fastest and most frequent improvements. All predicted by Satoshi. The next stage is embedded chips in devices like routers (already happening)

Personally I think ASICs are a good thing for coin networks that can maintain a decent hashrate to secure it.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 1783
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
October 09, 2011,[ANN] Litecoin accounced by Charlie Lee (SCRYPT)
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-litecoin-a-lite-version-of-bitcoin-launched-47417
You named that one wrongly.

Litecoin is a [SCAM]

He created it with claims it was GPU resistant and you will also find me posting in there about it
saying he used scrypt settings low enough to fit in a GPU.

The truth was the coin creator was GPU mining for a VERY long time while everyone else was CPU mining, until he released the GPU code
(if my memory serves me correctly - though it may not - it may have been as long as a year?)
legendary

A few hints for the OP:
The forum was also reachable under forum.bitcoin.org for some time before it moved to bitcointalk.org IIRC.
The "name" of the forum is actually "Bitcoin Forum", not "Bitcointalk" (see upper left corner of this page).

Also, it might be noteworthy that for some time, DDOSing this forum coincided with dumps on then dominant Bitcoin exchange MtGox. I.e., you could DDOS this forum, which in turn made the price of Bitcoin drop. Market manipulation wild Wild West Cool

I've edited the OP to include some of your comments and used part of your post as a quote on the Bitcointalk history of hacks and vandalism and Bitcointalk history of MtGox and how a Bitcointalk post caught the MtGox hacker. threads. It is great to have this type of input from people that were actually there when some of this history was being made.
qwk
donator
Activity: 3542
Merit: 3410
Shitcoin Minimalist
The iconic threads should be required reading for noobs
I am pretty confident we are the new wealthy elite, gentlemen. comes to mind.

and they should also have to pass a test on the content
Not the worst idea. Cool

A few hints for the OP:
The forum was also reachable under forum.bitcoin.org for some time before it moved to bitcointalk.org IIRC.
The "name" of the forum is actually "Bitcoin Forum", not "Bitcointalk" (see upper left corner of this page).

Also, it might be noteworthy that for some time, DDOSing this forum coincided with dumps on then dominant Bitcoin exchange MtGox. I.e., you could DDOS this forum, which in turn made the price of Bitcoin drop. Market manipulation wild Wild West Cool
legendary
There should be a link guiding a NEWBIES here. All they are doing is bounties when This platform has such a rich history. Gussbumps.

The iconic threads should be required reading for noobs, and they should also have to pass a test on the content before spamming their low effort sig campaign ads. Grin

I'd love to have this pinned. I keep on finding more interesting stuff to add to this.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
There should be a link guiding a NEWBIES here. All they are doing is bounties when This platform has such a rich history. Gussbumps.

The iconic threads should be required reading for noobs, and they should also have to pass a test on the content before spamming their low effort sig campaign ads. Grin
Activity: 36
Merit: 12
Mountains in my mind.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 6618
Currently not available - plz check my websitelink
Very interesting collection, great work!  Smiley

Only 10 years of Bitcoin but already so much history! I don't know how this should go on the next years, but I'm looking forward to it.  Cheesy

But one thing: I saw no negative trust rating for OgNasty. Maybe this was removed after your post:   

Best trust ratings
OgNasty (most trust but one negative takes down the score)
Blazed

If I have some time next week I will have a look into some of them. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
Activity: 798
Merit: 178
Amazing!
I really enjoy reading historical threads where your eyes won't catch a single useless post and getting some information from each thread is guaranteed.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Pages:
Jump to: