Pages:
Author

Topic: The new rule (1 Merit for Jr. Member) is already reducing spam - page 5. (Read 3838 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 127
<...>
Which goes to prove that the 1 merit rule is up to some extent easy to bypass by farmers, but even so, many will not be able to even achieve it (not enough merits to cover all the Alts from the father account). A step-up in the criteria could, at a later stage, be obviously requiring more merit but from x distinct people (i.e. 5 merits from 5 different people). Not impassable, but certainly tougher to overcome. Anyway, we’ve just changed the rule, so that is going to stay for a while. At best, people can work on the diverse lists for suspicious clear cases, and farmers know that they are being watched …

In the end what ever method somebody could come with, there are always going to be smart ass with enough merits or strategies to bypass them. It would make life just harder for legit people.

As somebody as already proposed, there could be people with the power to reverse the merit given, if the case is a clear abuse.
That would make's life unfair. Smiley But for a better forum, its worth a shot for everyone to benefit from learning crypto. Spammers are inevitable for every forum, we should live with it but if there are to much, we should control it.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1416
<...>
Which goes to prove that the 1 merit rule is up to some extent easy to bypass by farmers, but even so, many will not be able to even achieve it (not enough merits to cover all the Alts from the father account). A step-up in the criteria could, at a later stage, be obviously requiring more merit but from x distinct people (i.e. 5 merits from 5 different people). Not impassable, but certainly tougher to overcome. Anyway, we’ve just changed the rule, so that is going to stay for a while. At best, people can work on the diverse lists for suspicious clear cases, and farmers know that they are being watched …

In the end what ever method somebody could come with, there are always going to be smart ass with enough merits or strategies to bypass them. It would make life just harder for legit people.

As somebody as already proposed, there could be people with the power to reverse the merit given, if the case is a clear abuse.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
<...>
Activity: 490
Merit: 134
This is really helpful and must say interesting in many way. First i have almost a day in time spend here, but i try to spend as much time reading and not asking same question twice (my only concern is that search is not sorted by date). So far that I read this merit system is good call and its reduced not just spam and junk as well. Hopefully some new improvement will bring even better for this forum, this is my humble saying cuz im not that big rank or skilled in many skill here.
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Blackjack.fun
<...>
From 6922-merit sent 23/09/2018

Now, we could just filter those merited newbies and check them which are legit and alt accounts. It would minimize the job of the mods to catch the account farmers and the spambies in the forum.
I shared the complete list a few days ago, with all newly up-ranked newbies:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KmBvi21XZn6Oxh8c6Vsuax6wxSAhsQWsAzDYfsYOU2E/edit#gid=0

Nevertheless, Mods will not likely follow-up potential cases. It’s up to whoever wishes to investigate the cases and bring them up in Reputation or threads dedicated to Merit Abuse. 

That list is so demoralizing

Volpcoin has received 1 merit for an ann
savitardty is a weird case as he has received a merit for a post for June but he hasn;t logged in for 40 days
Jhonkar has 5 merits for 5 deleted posts
morata21 is tagged as an alt of a plagiarist.
enzo24 received a merit on a June post that is pure crap
asensio22 (woken up after 1 year of hibernation) got 1 merit for posts number #1047 in a mega thread

stompix sad  Cry Cry Cry

<...>

Now, we could just filter those merited newbies and check them which are legit and alt accounts. It would minimize the job of the mods to catch the account farmers and the spambies in the forum.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KmBvi21XZn6Oxh8c6Vsuax6wxSAhsQWsAzDYfsYOU2E/edit#gid=0

Nevertheless, Mods will not likely follow-up potential cases. It’s up to whoever wishes to investigate the cases and bring them up in Reputation or threads dedicated to Merit Abuse. 

Lets get started  Wink. Although I'm not a full time here, i'll just give a shot on those abusers. Small actions may have a big effect if all members are contributing to clean the forum.
Activity: 35
Merit: 1
and so thank you for such a change. And so half of the forum in a panic because of the lowering of rank) They do not know where to go))))thanks for the new changes.
legendary
<...>

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1165
🤩Finally Married🤩
Now, we could just filter those merited newbies and check them which are legit and alt accounts.

You can now start the hard work by using these data of LoyceV Grin :
http://loycevsbasement.privatedns.org/First_Merit_Received/Meritreceivers_4_days_after_changes_for_JrMembers.html

It would minimize the job of the mods to catch the account farmers and the spambies in the forum.

Yeah, it is indeed too much handy-dandy if they will still be bothered by these accounts.
Unfortunately, it looks like the spam reduction is already diminishing. That can be caused by the fact that last week the number of users with 1 Merit went up 25x faster than it did in previous weeks. Many Newbies were promoted back to Jr. Member, and many of those were ranked up through Merit abuse. I also see more Newbies wearing Copper Membership now, which allows them to continue spamming their signature.
It is the important point.
As @coinlocket$ presented in his thread, the merit distribution increased more than 90% over the last week, since the implementation of new rank requirement, which requires 1 merit to be a Junior Member.
The start of new ERA!
Every single transactions can be found here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3dE2huMLqjvC1JpFUimRvXvktBxjD-Sgqw61S5oYhk/edit#gid=0

Feel free to find and report abusers!
It's also noticeable that more and more Junior Members that have 1 merit after that day.
Before that day, I believe that it is hard to find a Junior Member with at least 1 merit.
Personally, I call it as one of side effects of the new rank requirement.

Anyway, thanks @Theymos by the latest adjustments on ranking system.

legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1759
1.) DON'T EVER RECRUIT "NEW MEMBERS":

All Forums must adopt @theymos policy. The standard value of the Global Forum is to hire the best Members in the Forum,

What the hell is this gibberish*? The only members that have been hired here are the staff and some (all?) moderators; the rest of us are here voluntarily.
It is clear that those who work are staff, monderator ...
(all?) is (local?).
What do I mean to say? about new Members, if this is uncontrolled in (one) day if it continues to grow by around 100 people throughout the country, newbie members, do not expect spam to disappear?
"So every newbie member who registers must go through a selection of staff, Monderator, and local forums. If necessary, create a profile photo for newbie members, then all spam issues are resolved .... Not nonsense ... after all the requirements are complete, all decisions are received or not in hand @Theymos

"- the it new rhetorical...
Activity: 420
Merit: 182

All Forums must adopt @theymos policy. The standard value of the Global Forum is to hire the best Members in the Forum,

What the hell is this gibberish*? The only members that have been hired here are the staff and some (all?) moderators; the rest of us are here voluntarily.

* - a rhetorical question, really.
legendary
<...>It's also noticeable that more and more Junior Members that have 1 merit after that day.
Before that day, I believe that it is hard to find a Junior Member with at least 1 merit.<...>
There were quite a few before the change of rules (just over 5K):
As of 21/09/2018: 6.561 Jr. Members with at least 1 received sMerit (after the change of rules).
As of 14/09/2018: 5.087 Jr. Members with at least 1 received sMerit (before the change of rules).
As of 07/09/2018: 4.908 Jr. Members with at least 1 received sMerit.

You can see the boost caused by the change of rules though, going from a weekly increment of just 200 cases the week before, to nearly 1.500 after the first four days of change in rules. Most are re-ranked cases (1.463 of them back to Jr. Member from Newbie). Aside from that 145 Newbies that did-not rank-up were merited for the first time, and 29 went all the way up to Member from Newbie.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1759
I was curious:
Theymos announced the "Enhanced newbie restrictions & requirements" in post 45810047. This was on Sep 17 06:27 (Dutch time).
When I click [url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=unread]Show unread posts since last visit.
, I can now see some actual real threads again! There is still ANN and BOUNTY pollution, but in between are real topics (I have no boards on ignore on this account).

Update: theymos posted data on the number of posts per day in the past 30 days.
Under these conditions if there has not been any change to the policy and the application of this new rule of socialization related to the regulation, by establishing a regulation and marketing of Bitcoin Core and Merit recently implemented and the Forum Board witnessing both success and failure, I think it is necessary to collaborate with the characteristics successful new rules.

2.) STEALING THE SCIENCE FROM COMPETITORS:

Most Forum Members only focus on their projects and tokens and are blind to other things.

3.) VALUE FOR DIVERSITY:

in building a team
Most of the Forums under the auspices of Bitcoin Core have teams from various ethnic groups, but there are still gender gaps.

4.) DO SOCIALIZATION QUICKLY:

Every Forum Board has made a mistake in recruiting talents, sometimes too slowly so that they lose good talent. In other situations, there are only members who are not suitable for the Bitcointalk Forum but pass the recruitment process. Remember, being a Forum wrongdoer is a natural thing that is important is how the Board makes improvements quickly.

5.) EVERYTHING TEST:

For Forum members it's about experimenting and testing initial assumptions and hypotheses.
Change everything according to the feedback the Board gets.
Let's say you run a pilot; it sounds much better.

6.) COMPLETED TASK :

If board have a lot of time and money, Bitcointalk Furum will be able to set a high target.
Activity: 45
Merit: 4
Unfortunately, it looks like the spam reduction is already diminishing. That can be caused by the fact that last week the number of users with 1 Merit went up 25x faster than it did in previous weeks. Many Newbies were promoted back to Jr. Member, and many of those were ranked up through Merit abuse. I also see more Newbies wearing Copper Membership now, which allows them to continue spamming their signature.
It is the important point.
As @coinlocket$ presented in his thread, the merit distribution increased more than 90% over the last week, since the implementation of new rank requirement, which requires 1 merit to be a Junior Member.
The start of new ERA!

Every single transactions can be found here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3dE2huMLqjvC1JpFUimRvXvktBxjD-Sgqw61S5oYhk/edit#gid=0

Feel free to find and report abusers!
It's also noticeable that more and more Junior Members that have 1 merit after that day.
Before that day, I believe that it is hard to find a Junior Member with at least 1 merit.
Personally, I call it as one of side effects of the new rank requirement.

Anyway, thanks @Theymos by the latest adjustments on ranking system.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
BTW, I really get pissed when I see certain good posts from Newbies which don't get merited. I know a lot of merit sources would rather merit a post by Theymos or known high ranked members here than merit a noob with great comments.

You have merited only 1 or 2 newbies so you must be not that pissed really.
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1208
Once a man, twice a child!
With the current that the admins are doing from yesterday to this has reduced a lot of new people can not write articles. minimize spam
The groups are discussing a lot about the new policy

what the fuck is this nonsense?
Hehehehe...That's the effect of getting hit in the head. Don't you realize the recent amendment by Theymos was a punch?

BTW, I really get pissed when I see certain good posts from Newbies which don't get merited. I know a lot of merit sources would rather merit a post by Theymos or known high ranked members here than merit a noob with great comments. This is my observation and I think the DT members should also start tagging those who merit signature and bounty OPs. What the heck is that for to merit bounties if not to lick asses.
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Blackjack.fun
I've updated the OP:
In 24 hours, that's 23.3% less posts.
In 48 hours, that's 18.6% less posts.
In 1 week, that's 15.9% less posts.

I'm ok with 15%
Don't forget that when comparing the 24h interval you're comparing Sunday with Monday, and you can see a drop one week before also

0 | 26510 |
1 | 42433 |
2 | 46736 |
3 | 54921 |
4 | 45271 |
5 | 48072 |
6 | 48926 |
7 | 46559 |
8 | 45886 |
9 | 49366 |
10 | 55894|

Posting tweeter and fb links was not affected by this and I assume a lot of them started posting more since the signature option was no longer available. Judging by the fact that the Bounties board has become the second largest it might be safe to approximate 25% of the traffic goes there so the drop comes from the other sections.

And unfortunately, there are a lot of spammers with 0 merits that have ranked a long time ago and those are not affected.

it was expected to happen. But I am now waiting for this to happen.
It would take time to make it possible. We need more data and analysis if this is needed or not because if it will be immediately implemented, the interest of people would also at risk specially there this is not only the medium in having more reliable information about cryptocurrency.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218
Change is in your hands
I've updated the OP:
In 24 hours, that's 23.3% less posts.
In 48 hours, that's 18.6% less posts.
In 1 week, that's 15.9% less posts.

The requirement should have been 5-10 merits. We saw immediate results as soon as 1 merit rule was introduced. I believe, we can let this 1 merit run for a trial period of a month or two and if things are still the same we should bump up the merit requirement. As for Newbies Buying copper, let them buy. The next target for DT members should be the managers who are accepting these spam posts. They Deserve the Red tag immediately.
Pages:
Jump to: