Pages:
Author

Topic: The official MacMiner thread [BTC/LTC-CPU/GPU/FPGA/ASIC] - page 28. (Read 166722 times)

Activity: 662
Merit: 500
1.4.8 out now with a couple of fixes.

Arrgh. I hope that "check for updates" is fixed. MacMiner has been telling me that 1.3.17 is the newest version for… since 1.3.17 came out.

Looking forward to seeing what you've done!
They're on two different branches - 1.4 has a lot changed from 1.3 and I'd recommend it as long as it doesn't cause you any problems - but updates to the 1.4 branch could potentially cause problems. Another possibility is downloading both and showing the package contents on both replacing the cgminer and bfgminer folders and the minerd executable in the Resources folder from the 1.4 branch to the 1.3 branch, if you want the latest backend versions.

As a note, a couple of versions are always available in the first post or at http://fabulouspanda.co.uk/macminer/ and the previous minor versions are still downloadable, i.e. if you're now downloading http://fabulouspanda.co.uk/macminer/downloads/MacMiner.app-1.4.8.zip you can assume that 1.4.1 through 1.4.7 are in the same downloads folder, just change the version number, so if an update to 1.4 breaks something and you don't have the last version you were using you can get it that way. I should probably make the folder indexable.

There are a few significant additions to come soon so I'm working with a plan towards a version 1.5 which should be the next stable version - once that's out I'll set it up so 1.3.17 users are prompted to upgrade.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Arrgh. I hope that "check for updates" is fixed. MacMiner has been telling me that 1.3.17 is the newest version for… since 1.3.17 came out.

Looking forward to seeing what you've done!

The cpuminer 2.3.2 version has been switched out with the one distributed on pooler's cpuminer thread and hopefully this update also fixes the issue XFox was experiencing as I've changed the API output mechanism only to run if FPGA/ASIC miner is running.

FPGA/ASIC miner can also be used for GPU mining as it's a BFG backend but the interface is mainly configured for FPGA/ASICs, however if you want raw API output you can give that a shot.
The latest update updates bfg and cgminer backends, because it'd been a while i forgot about the cpuminer issue so I'll swap that out in an update today

Thanks for the report, I'll check out your crash log but I'm pretty sure it'll be a problem with the API output view which is still very beta and loads regardless of whether you've opened the window for it - if that's so it'll be fixed today!
Activity: 144
Sorry for the long time between updates, life's been a bit busy but I'm back on it now!

Thank you for your work! Smiley

1.4.7 is out which updates the backends

Which backends? Just curious.
I installed the update and the bundled cpuminer is still segfaulting on my Lion machine.
There is also a new funny problem: when MacMiner 1.4.7 is running I get identical crash report alerts every few seconds telling me that MacMiner is crashed but I don't know which part of it is actually crashing because MacMiner never unexpectedly quits and I have to quit it manually to stop the crashes. This happens without even launching any backend. I'll send you a PM with the crash report that keeps appearing.
Sorry for the long time between updates, life's been a bit busy but I'm back on it now!

1.4.7 is out which updates the backends and adds an API output window for FPGA/ASIC miner window - it's still pretty beta and a table view will be added in the next version
This update also fixes the temperature display in FPGA/ASIC miner to show ˚ C after the temperature reading.
Ladies and Gentlemen, please restart your miners, a few of you are still on the old pool server which has just been replaced (if you don't see your miner at pool.fabulouspanda.co.uk:9332 or pool.fabulouspanda.co.uk:9327 you're still on the old server)

The litecoin mining has been a little luckier on the new server, someone at 8kh found a share!
Sorry about that, it's been back up for a few hours now and I'll make sure it auto-restarts from now on!

Thank you!
By the way, are you sure that the LTC pool doesn't have any problems?
Probably I'm failing to understand something but I noticed that the share count is stuck to 19 since some days now and I'm wondering how it could be possible seeing that the "Expected time to share" value has always roughly been between 24 and 32 hours lately.
It's an unfortunate factor of the low speed mining going on there, I was worried myself but I pointed about 500kh there for a day and was able to find some shares. That said, we have been particularly unlucky and on average should have found a share in less time since the last.

I'm also going to move the pool over to a new server (the advantage of monthly billing) as the one it's on at the moment did have a random shut down not long after i got ahold of it and made me worry about some kind of hardware problem - though it hasn't shut down the OS unexpectedly since it's been in use. The hardware is the same though, 2 raided SSDs and way more processing power and RAM than is necessary.
Sorry about that, it's been back up for a few hours now and I'll make sure it auto-restarts from now on!

Thank you!
By the way, are you sure that the LTC pool doesn't have any problems?
Probably I'm failing to understand something but I noticed that the share count is stuck to 19 since some days now and I'm wondering how it could be possible seeing that the "Expected time to share" value has always roughly been between 24 and 32 hours lately.
It seems that both Fabulous Panda Pools (BTC and LTC) are down! Cry
\

It seems that both Fabulous Panda Pools (BTC and LTC) are down! Cry
Ah, so the finder must have just set 770 or something. learn something new every day!  Cheesy

More or less but as a Mac developer I suggest you to learn a bit more about the UNIX permission model. Smiley
This is a very practical guide from a sysadmin POV that covers all the most important aspects of the subject.

Then, if you want to go deeper and explore the developer POV, there are these chapters directly from Apple:
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
edit: it's worth mentioning i'd also tried changing to 'Read & Write' permissions for all users in the GUI and that didn't give it the same kick chmod did

Sometimes you gotta pull out the old and reliable Unix commands.

"They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time."
-Brian Fantana, Anchorman

OSX didn't know it was an executable...  with the default permissions it had, sudo wouldn't do a thing.... needed to tell the filesystem it was something that could be run...

That's why it looked like just a text file (what tipped me off). Smiley

Ah, so the finder must have just set 770 or something. learn something new every day!  Cheesy
That's the version I'm trying to use, the 32 bit version works fine but the 64 bit version just looks like a text file and when opened in the terminal either nothing happens (from a double click) or I get permission denied then command not found if I use sudo… I'm thinking it's been compiled without 10.8 support. It's also possible that mine is working on 10.8 but not .7 - so I'll check that angle out and if so either fix mine or include separate versions!

Permissions issue?  What happens when you chmod -R 777 minerd and try running it again ./minerd?
Whah, that works, i wonder why sudo wasn't doing it for me… thanks!

OSX didn't know it was an executable...  with the default permissions it had, sudo wouldn't do a thing.... needed to tell the filesystem it was something that could be run...

That's why it looked like just a text file (what tipped me off). Smiley
That's the version I'm trying to use, the 32 bit version works fine but the 64 bit version just looks like a text file and when opened in the terminal either nothing happens (from a double click) or I get permission denied then command not found if I use sudo… I'm thinking it's been compiled without 10.8 support. It's also possible that mine is working on 10.8 but not .7 - so I'll check that angle out and if so either fix mine or include separate versions!

Permissions issue?  What happens when you chmod -R 777 minerd and try running it again ./minerd?
Whah, that works, i wonder why sudo wasn't doing it for me… thanks!

edit: it's worth mentioning i'd also tried changing to 'Read & Write' permissions for all users in the GUI and that didn't give it the same kick chmod did

Permissions issue?  What happens when you chmod -R 777 minerd and try running it again ./minerd?
When I download the latest cpuminer 64 bit Mac binary i get a file that refuses to be run, so I've just been compiling myself. Any chance you could send me the version you're using so i can examine the differences? Not sure what's up there.

I'm using the binary in the "pooler-cpuminer-2.3.2-osx64.zip" archive that can be downloaded from here.

In other news, an update to the FabulousPanda P2Pool has fixed the issues we were having, thanks for your patience!

I see, thank you!
When I download the latest cpuminer 64 bit Mac binary i get a file that refuses to be run, so I've just been compiling myself. Any chance you could send me the version you're using so i can examine the differences? Not sure what's up there.

In other news, an update to the FabulousPanda P2Pool has fixed the issues we were having, thanks for your patience!
Pages:
Jump to: