Pages:
Author

Topic: The official MacMiner thread [BTC/LTC-CPU/GPU/FPGA/ASIC] - page 42. (Read 166722 times)

Activity: 662
Merit: 500
mm, I have a 1,1 around as well but work on a 2012 model… But I only really mine BTC and I didn't recompile for the binary in the 10.7 version… should be fixed in the next week. I think Tim Cook promised a Mac Pro 'replacement' later this year - not really sure what to expect! And they're not allowed to sell the Mac Pro in Europe anymore due to silly EU rules about the encasing for fans so I'm expecting whatever it is sooner rather than later - possibly the 'made in America' line they're working on.

I wouldn't personally use a workaround to install 10.8 on the 1,1 - I can't remember why but I looked it up when I was thinking about it but was put off by the downsides…

If you've just set something big exporting/rendering then yeah it'll be the CPU but if you're editing clips etc. the GPU is going to be working too… though a lot more in Motion than Final Cut and I use the former a lot more than the latter so I'm not entirely sure how much of a difference you'd notice.

If you're thinking of a new GPU I'd say 2 things - make sure it's one a lot of people have flashed for Mac, and only bother if you'll benefit from the upgrade, BFL are finally starting to ship ASICs a little quicker and the difficulty is going to keep rising quickly so it's going to be increasingly hard to get a decent return from a GPU…

Thanks for offering to test out, I may end up posting a 10.7 beta for you. Right now I've just been working on the pool, it's running more stably now but I think I should probably double the RAM of the server in anticipation of wider use. Back to work on the app tomorrow.

The pool's also accessible now at pool.fabulouspanda.co.uk:9332 user a BTC address password anything - thanks to everyone who's been testing it!
pool stats are up here http://pool.fabulouspanda.co.uk:9332/static/
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Oh yes I remember now, I'm afraid CG Miner isn't compiled with scrypt, so cpu is actually the only one that'll work with it on the 10.7 version, there's something else for v1.0.3! Sorry about that.

Its all good Smiley will just go back to working with GUIminer in the meantime for LTCmining on the GPU until we can get it all working. Would love to update to 10.8 but sadly I am one of the kids on a 1,1, Mac Pro who doesnt have the hardware to make it happen. I was reading I can do a work around with chameleon? If i really wanted to but assuming that would cause more of a mess then it is worth. Really waiting for the new Pro's to come out I think early next year and that just scoop up one of those bad boys. For now though stuck with Lion.

The xt1900 is just too old and won't work with the mining software, I don't know much about flashing -- you can run newer ATI cards on a Mac (10.8 again) without even bothering now!

Mining while using the GPU for video editing will slow you down. I turn it off if I'm using Apple Motion, but that's on a machine with only one GPU (another 5770) so I can't say whether Final Cut will use both GPUs or just the one the monitor is connected to/the one in the x16 slot. That said, depending on your mining (low intensity specifically) settings it might not affect you too much as the mining does scale back so the GPU can process for other things.

For the PCI setup that pops up you'll want to keep the 5770 in the x16 slot and get the xt1900 in the x8 slot for the best performance on both.

Definitely I do a turn off all mining when doing any editing and really keep it on for times when just in a browser or at night when sleeping and the machine isnt rendering. Although when rendering/formatting files I guess that would just be CPU intensive right? So could ideally keep the GPU on, CPU off to not do any crazy overpowerring. In the end I will just have to play with the 1900 and end up probably making it a scrap GPU. Which brings me to my next thought..I think i will just go buy a 7950 or 7970 this week and popit in the PC miner i have right now with a NVIDIA GT250 chugging away at slow speeds one hash at a time. Or pop a new 7950 into the mac and pull the 5770 out of here into the pc if they are interchangeable like that since the mac is the fastest machine at this time. So many options and appreciate your time and help in figuring it all out. If you need a tester for any new macminer updates just let me know
Oh yes I remember now, I'm afraid CG Miner isn't compiled with scrypt, so cpu is actually the only one that'll work with it on the 10.7 version, there's something else for v1.0.3! Sorry about that.

The xt1900 is just too old and won't work with the mining software, I don't know much about flashing -- you can run newer ATI cards on a Mac (10.8 again) without even bothering now!

Mining while using the GPU for video editing will slow you down. I turn it off if I'm using Apple Motion, but that's on a machine with only one GPU (another 5770) so I can't say whether Final Cut will use both GPUs or just the one the monitor is connected to/the one in the x16 slot. That said, depending on your mining (low intensity specifically) settings it might not affect you too much as the mining does scale back so the GPU can process for other things.

For the PCI setup that pops up you'll want to keep the 5770 in the x16 slot and get the xt1900 in the x8 slot for the best performance on both.

When I add the --scrypt to the options i end up getting this error ?:

[2013-05-22 12:47:28] /Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/cgminer/cgminer: --scrypt: unrecognized option
[2013-05-22 12:47:28] /Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/cgminer/cgminer: --scrypt: unrecognized option        

An XT1900 is too old for mining but if you've got them both you can do what I do and run the monitor through the old card to get more mining power on the 5770!

and yes.. very good point! I have read though somewhere that an xt1900 will work to mine on a PC its just not the best kind like the nvidia cards being much slower? or is it they just wont work at all and should stop trying? I have an open slot in a slower pc mining setup that was hoping to ramp up with this by somehow flashing to a BIOS but since I have never done that procedure and can't find instructions from going from mac to PC then I may just stick with your plan of using it as the monitor card. The reason I switched to a 5770 recently was the fact that FinalCutProX updates stopped working on the x1900 which forced me to get the 5770. Because this mac is also a edit machine I am really only mining on it half of the day when it is not being used so switching monitors to the old card wouldn't mess being able to still use FCPX right? I guess only one way to find out. One last GPU ?..When i installed the 1900XT back into the mac pro it popped up with some PCI Lane Width options for the 4 slots..you wouldnt happen to know which options I select? The Image looked like this: http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT2838/HT2838_1.jpg

If you need the actual screenshot of my options let me know. Does it matter that i put them i slot 1 and 3? or does the 2nd need to go in 2? does it matter? right now the 5770 is on #1 with a 16x lane width and 1900XT on port 3 with a 4x Lane Width I believe..so many variables! thanks for helping me out Smiley Not much info about osx gpu's out there...

My p2pool seems to be running right below the server's memory limit most of the time and bitcoind crashed while I was asleep probably because of that, I've lowered the max connections for bitcoind and if it's still not stable I'll upgrade it. Thanks for testing it!
Just started your pool up and it seems to be running great at the moment..will keep it going on here for a bit for the BTC Smiley

(5s):166.1M (avg):161.3Mh/s | A:3  R:0  HW:0  U:2.2/m  WU:2.2/m         
(5s):165.1M (avg):161.4Mh/s | A:3  R:0  HW:0  U:2.1/m  WU:2.1/m         
(5s):163.1M (avg):161.3Mh/s | A:3  R:0  HW:0  U:2.0/m  WU:2.0/m         
 [2013-05-22 13:12:18] Stratum from pool 0 requested work restart
 [2013-05-22 13:12:18] Stratum from pool 0 requested work restart                   
(5s):161.3M (avg):161.2Mh/s | A:3  R:0  HW:0  U:1.9/m  WU:1.9/m         
 [2013-05-22 13:12:23] Stratum from pool 0 requested work restart
 [2013-05-22 13:12:23] Stratum from pool 0 requested work restart                   
(5s):159.1M (avg):160.9Mh/s | A:3  R:0  HW:0  U:1.8/m  WU:1.8/m         

Figure my machines arent the most powerful so really no point in trying to get into the BTC mining at this late in the game with ASICs popping out any day. Which was my motivation to switch to LTC before everyone else did and get a little head start. So mainly trying to mine Litecoin but still trying to get that 1 BTC before all hell breaks loose with the ASICS. Only .07 to go Wink

where or how do I go about adding the scrypt option? In the CgMiner options field or in a file somewhere else?

Mining BTC now on your Cgminer is working perfectly thru your pool as well as others like BitMinter,etc with your help Smiley Thank you! If only it would recognize the XT1900 now but we are at least off to a working start!  win

just use -T --scrypt in options instead of just -T if you're connecting to a LTC pool. I don't really like to mine LTC as it seems to have a lower reward and higher strain on the computer I'm using especially on a Mac, but it should work! As long as you don't mind putting a strain on that 5770.

An XT1900 is too old for mining but if you've got them both you can do what I do and run the monitor through the old card to get more mining power on the 5770!

On another note…

My p2pool seems to be running right below the server's memory limit most of the time and bitcoind crashed while I was asleep probably because of that, I've lowered the max connections for bitcoind and if it's still not stable I'll upgrade it. Thanks for testing it!
where or how do I go about adding the scrypt option? In the CgMiner options field or in a file somewhere else?

ah yes you'll need a space and then the --scrypt option, and you might want to play with -I 4 (intensity (number) goes from -10 to 14 and the higher the harder it works. I think around 8/9 is about as high as I'd ever push the same card. also the -w 64 option try 64/128 see what works best for you.

150Khash sounds about right for LTC mining… 150Mhash sounds about right for BTC mining… although it can get a bit faster

Mining BTC now on your Cgminer is working perfectly thru your pool as well as others like BitMinter,etc with your help Smiley Thank you! If only it would recognize the XT1900 now but we are at least off to a working start!  win
ah yes you'll need a space and then the --scrypt option, and you might want to play with -I 4 (intensity (number) goes from -10 to 14 and the higher the harder it works. I think around 8/9 is about as high as I'd ever push the same card. also the -w 64 option try 64/128 see what works best for you.

150Khash sounds about right for LTC mining… 150Mhash sounds about right for BTC mining… although it can get a bit faster
I should of mentioned I am LTC mining here. Do I need to add any more options besides -T to make litemining work in Cgminer? A little over a week into mining and learning command line so not total newbie but pretty much still one. If I use GuiMiner OpenCL miner I get about 150 mhash/s when connecting to this LTC pool on a Radeon 5770..does that sound right?
I think I put -T in the ? Window, possibly at the beginning of this thread… I will fix that for 1.0.3!

That hash rate doesn't look healthy though, it should only be measuring in Kh if you're using --scrypt for litecoin mining or the connection to the server is going wrong somewhere. I don't want to push the big pools, but maybe you could try one of those? I use mining.bitcoin.cz and the p2pool i'm putting together so those are the only BTC pools I can say with certainty couldn't be the problem, and I suspect it's a pool connection issue going on here..

it's still 2.11.4 just as I've been spreading my focus rather broadly at the moment, I will probably replace it in 1.0.3 with BFGMiner though as CGMiner won't compile with USB device function on a Mac
no shares accepted via 3333 so going back to 9332 port and this is how it starts using -T option:

[2013-05-21 16:04:26] Started cgminer 2.11.4
 [2013-05-21 16:04:26] Probing for an alive pool
 [2013-05-21 16:04:27] Long-polling activated for http://mining.usa.la.hypernova.pw:9332/lp

then just stops? Now i see it says starting cgminer 2.11.4? I have had no luck compiling a 3.1.1 for Lion at this time.. maybe thats the issue?
!!! -T made a huge difference. Not sure where I missed reading to add that command. Thank you. For the pool i am using the 9332 longpool port started up then a few seconds later just stopped? I then put in their Stratum 3333 port and we are going now with :

(5s):18.69K (avg):66.27Kh/s | A:0  R:0  HW:0  U:0.0/m  WU:0.0/m         
(5s):18.39K (avg):64.33Kh/s | A:0  R:0  HW:0  U:0.0/m  WU:0.0/m         
 [2013-05-21 15:58:27] Stratum from pool 0 detected new block
 [2013-05-21 15:58:27] Stratum from pool 0 detected new block                   
(5s):20.94K (avg):62.84Kh/s | A:0  R:0  HW:0  U:0.0/m  WU:0.0/m         
(5s):18.55K (avg):61.03Kh/s | A:0  R:0  HW:0  U:0.0/m  WU:0.0/m         
(5s):1.164M (avg):124.5Kh/s | A:0  R:0  HW:0  U:0.0/m  WU:0.0/m         
(5s):468.3K (avg):122.4Kh/s | A:0  R:0  HW:0  U:0.0/m  WU:0.0/m         
(5s):182.0K (avg):118.9Kh/s | A:0  R:0  HW:0  U:0.0/m  WU:0.0/m         
(5s):107.8K (avg):117.1Kh/s | A:0  R:0  HW:0  U:0.0/m  WU:0.0/m         
(5s):49.07K (avg):114.0Kh/s | A:0  R:0  HW:0  U:0.0/m  WU:0.0/m         

Waiting to see what happens on the accepting side but thinking because I do not have a stratum proxy this wont do anything?
Can you make sure -T is set in cgminer window please? Do you know whether the pool is a p2pool node? It's the same port and that's the same error I got trying to connect to one with MacMiner (poclbm) window but it worked with cgminer window in 10.7 - the only thing is needing the -T option for it to load in app, I should have and will hard code that in but it's there so you can run cgminer from the terminal with the text user interface if you prefer to!
Just tested pool and got same error as before running Lion 10.7:

Error opening terminal: unknown.
Thanks, glad to hear it's working well for you!

Right now I'm testing an install of a p2pool node with a 1% pool fee to see whether it can take the load if you'd like to help test it out! If it all goes well it'll be an auto-configure option in 1.0.3 - unfortunately it's only working for CG/BFGMiner windows at the moment not the main MacMiner (poclbm) window.

The address is 176.58.119.218:9332
username is your BTC address for rewards
password can be anything

it's connected to the wider p2pool network and payouts are generated every time the network finds a block, which is a few times a day.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Excellent work - thanks so much for this!  The new update is fantastic.

Happy to help if you need feedback for future updates and/or UI changes.
version 1.0.2 released

Changes:
reduced memory usage, limited the size of the log
interface improvements for bfgminer including a fix for multiple flags (e.g. -w 64 -I 5)
an inappropriately named (in the View menu) 'ASIC' miner which is actually configured for any BFL device whether it be FPGA or ASIC (name change to BFL Miner to follow in 1.0.3)
Hey everyone,

Just working out the wrinkles on the BFL miner interface, and not really sure how to make various output aesthetically pleasing. So I figured I'd ask everyone what they want. What are the most important data points to be highlighted for you and given the choice how would you prettify the output? Here's where the beta is at the moment:
The first rate is your 'actual' has rate, whereas the one in parentheses is calculated by number of shares solved over time which varies due to luck so it's not unusual for that one to be far higher or lower than your actual hash rate.

If all those libraries are there I'm afraid I can't help, maybe you could try to get the libraries from another install and copy them across but hackintosh systems can have some hard to diagnose peculiarities so maybe just mine BTC on the GPUs and LTC on the cpu… in my experience it's hard to get a good hash rate GPU mining LTC on a 5770 with Mac OS anyway - doesn't seem to want to go much faster than the Xeons in my Mac Pro!
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
This is all I could see at the top that is legible.

8©/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib `/Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/curl/lib/libcurl.4.dylib @      /usr/local/lib/libjansson.4.dylib @/usr/local/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib x/Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/bfgminer/lib/libblkmaker_jansson-0.1.0.dylib p/Applications/MacMiner.app/Contents/Resources/bfgminer/lib/libblkmaker-0.1.0.dylibÄ libblkmaker/.libs

They all seem to be in place. That last little part though "libblkmaker/.libs" it shows up on it's own line and I don't know what that is or if it's just part of the line above it.

Anyway, I guess it would be like shooting in the dark to find the library that's missing. Maybe one day I'll come across that little bugger.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Excellent. I shall try that! Another question... Can you tell me about the two hash rates that it shows? Why is one approximate and in parentheses? Which one is my actual hash rate?

http://i.imgur.com/QbuNJFK.png
Pages:
Jump to: