Pages:
Author

Topic: The only answer against Miners Mafia is UASF - page 9. (Read 7672 times)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0
I also like UASF, what can average bitcoiner do, to help it's progress?
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002
USAF + 51% mining power man ^^
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
That's just stacking together as many positive statistics as possible for BU, isn't it? And the way you present it makes no sense.

780 BU nodes are not producing 1/3 of the blocks. Of those 780, less than 20 are the BU nodes actually creating blocks, the rest are non-mining relay nodes.

And even if 780 nodes were BU (and that figure is disputed, there's good evidence that a significant proportion of the 780 number is run by far less than 780 individual people), that's still little more than 11-12% of the 7000 nodes in total.

Do you understand what the word "unanimous" means? If you do, then you'll know that Bitcoin nodes are much much closer to unanimity at ~ 85% of the network than BU nodes are at ~ 12%.
wck
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
I don't think that the community is divided, all community is unanimous in supporting SegWit.

Sorry, I don't have this impression, and I'm not talking about the handful of members that post dozens of pro-BU posts/day  (these, probably are paid in some way for it). In the German and Spanish sub-forums some very high-profile members support BU, among them a former Bitcointalk moderator with an important Bitcoin blog. I think it's currently a 60/40 to 70/30 division with the majority being pro-Segwit. In my opinion, in the case of a hard fork, that's not enough to "kill a BTU chain instantly" what would be necessary to preserve Bitcoin's network effect.

You're conflating 3 things

1. Miner support
2. Forum activity
3. Node support

When it comes to miners and forum activity, a division exists. Mining is hard to fake (although we now know that Bitmain's hashrate share is inflated by ASIC Boost). Forum activity is very easy to fake.

Node support is somewhere in between the 2, it can be faked (remember the NotXT nodes?). But still, it appears as if a growing majority of nodes support Segwit. I would argue this is the most important metric.

And further to that, miners signalling Segwit is beginning to grow again. A consistent >30% is now evident, and removing the ASIC Boost advantage will change that figure even more favourably. When we add to that the undecided miners, we could easily have close to or above 50% Segwit signalling. And that's all is needed, simply the fear of block orphaning by the majority faction has pushed previous soft fork activations over 95% very, very quickly after 50% is reached.

So there's no need to worry yourself so much.

Well around 780 nodes are Bitcoin Unlimited and they produce over 1/3 of the blocks.  That is a far cry short of unanimous.   Saying they aren't part of the community is disingenuous.

See: https://coin.dance/nodes
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
I support the reasoning behind UASF, but it could be a dangerous experiment if the community is still divided.
I don't think that the community is divided, all community is unanimous in supporting SegWit. I'd not call neither one corrupt chinese with his paid shills the part of the community, nor altcoiner Roger ver.
If we just disregard them, there's no consequence, even if they create their altcoin BTU, noone will support centralized rogercoin with president and secretary.

the problem is that by creating an altcoin like you said, all the hash can go there while reducing the original fork nethash, which is dangerous, because then attack are possible

this si why miners have the upper hand in terms of decision, then you need to find a way to counter this, if you don't want bitcoin to be destroyed by the miners mafia
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
I don't think that the community is divided, all community is unanimous in supporting SegWit.

Sorry, I don't have this impression, and I'm not talking about the handful of members that post dozens of pro-BU posts/day  (these, probably are paid in some way for it). In the German and Spanish sub-forums some very high-profile members support BU, among them a former Bitcointalk moderator with an important Bitcoin blog. I think it's currently a 60/40 to 70/30 division with the majority being pro-Segwit. In my opinion, in the case of a hard fork, that's not enough to "kill a BTU chain instantly" what would be necessary to preserve Bitcoin's network effect.

You're conflating 3 things

1. Miner support
2. Forum activity
3. Node support

When it comes to miners and forum activity, a division exists. Mining is hard to fake (although we now know that Bitmain's hashrate share is inflated by ASIC Boost). Forum activity is very easy to fake.

Node support is somewhere in between the 2, it can be faked (remember the NotXT nodes?). But still, it appears as if a growing majority of nodes support Segwit. I would argue this is the most important metric.

And further to that, miners signalling Segwit is beginning to grow again. A consistent >30% is now evident, and removing the ASIC Boost advantage will change that figure even more favourably. When we add to that the undecided miners, we could easily have close to or above 50% Segwit signalling. And that's all is needed, simply the fear of block orphaning by the majority faction has pushed previous soft fork activations over 95% very, very quickly after 50% is reached.

So there's no need to worry yourself so much.

copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298
The number of nodes is meaningless. It is trivial for someone to spin up 100's (or thousands, or more) nodes with little to no cost. This is especially true when discussing short term trends.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
I support the reasoning behind UASF, but it could be a dangerous experiment if the community is still divided.
I don't think that the community is divided, all community is unanimous in supporting SegWit. I'd not call neither one corrupt chinese with his paid shills the part of the community, nor altcoiner Roger ver.
If we just disregard them, there's no consequence, even if they create their altcoin BTU, noone will support centralized rogercoin with president and secretary.

if that's true, then miners are signaling segwit less than BU because __________ ?
Activity: 243
Merit: 250

The reason those high profile members support BU is very simple - their money lay Not in bitcoins now, but in some altcoins like Eth, dash etc. Even Buterin (guy with some programming skills) mumbles something against Segwit and LN, he understands what it'd mean for his alt.
Сonsequently they don't want any good for Bitcoin, because if Bitcoin green all forks are red. It means they are not the part of Bitcoin community, even though they supported Bitcoin earlier like Ver. And they don't have bitcoins and they cant dump it, in case of Wu split scenario. (Ver bluffed something about dumping but jumped in the lake very fast, when was being suggested a deal with real bitcoiner)
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
blockstream script
1: "blockstream will avoid a hard fork because consensus need to be met by majority users, to avoid drama but a segwit solution thats empty of its promises wont get consensus"
2: "blockstream will avoid a hard fork because without consensus the only option is to split the network. without blockstream having majority, blockstream loses"
3: "splits are bad"
4: "anything not blockstream sanctions must split away so that blockstream rules supreme and wants a tier network"
5: "send out the deadlines, make manditory threats, make PoW crushing changes, do all you can to make blockstream kings

meanwhile other implementations just run for years letting the community decide or not decide in their own time, no threat no demands no destructive banning/splitting mechanisms. because non-blockstream implementations want a diverse decentralised open level playingfield PEER network

wake up to who the mafia is.. hint the ones with the demands and desires of a tier network
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist

Activity: 243
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist
I support the reasoning behind UASF, but it could be a dangerous experiment if the community is still divided. An UASF proposal should seek at least the support of the undecided miners (e.g. F2Pool).

With the current power distribution - 30-40% of the miners absolutely against Segwit, 20-30% undecided and a pretty strong Segwit-opposing /r/BTC community- it could lead to a situation where the miners of the BU-Fraction simply would decide to hardfork and we have the BTC/BTU scenario we normally would like to avoid.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142
Ιntergalactic Conciliator
The only health reaction against Miners Mafia that threat not only the developer that maintain bitcoin for 8 years now but and the whole bitcoin community is UASF. Today after the expose of ASICBOOST and Jihan open threats for one more time against everyone, node that signal UASF had a huge spike

http://uasf.saltylemon.org/#oo

everyone must signal or comment to their nodes for UASF. To do this you need to simple add to bitcoin.conf this simple line and after restart the node

Code:
uacomment=UASF-SegWit-BIP148
Pages:
Jump to: