Pages:
Author

Topic: The Origin of the Human DNA - page 3. (Read 5623 times)

Activity: 158
Merit: 100
October 29, 2013, 08:22:57 PM

Pardon a beginners intrusion. I think that nothingness and anythingness only exist for humans,

Sure, humans are the only ones who can perceive these things.
But it doesnt mean  these things seize to exist if humans arent there perceiving them.
Maybe I should have said that "nothingness" isnt more legitimate than "somethingness".
Therefore, both have to exisit for the sake of equlibrium.
Activity: 223
October 29, 2013, 08:08:57 PM
If you choose the first answer "Natural evolution", please describe how "random mutations" increase genetic information as opposed to actually destroying it.
I believe the answer to this is philosophical.
Why does anything have to exist at all?
Because, I believe, everything must have an opposite. Including "nothingness".
In order for there to be "nothing" there also has to be "something".
Likewise, in order for there to be darkness, there has to be light.
In order for the opposite of nothingness to exist, there has to be a creating intelligence behind it. Which is why intelligent life evolves in the universe.
the big bang, which came from where?
This intelligence, if it reaches the maximum intelligence possible, will be able to create other universes (big bangs) in which life will evolve in order for the perpetual creation of universes to be sustained.

In other words, DNA comes from a process originating from nothing at all.

Pardon a beginners intrusion. I think that nothingness and anythingness only exist for humans, because we have a brain capable of juggling things beyond the basic drives to eat and reproduce, both of which exist in the 'brain' of the cockroach, and the lobster. Heck, in all living things flora or fauna. The  incentive to exist and move forward has nothing to do with a  brain. Those with a brain are partially cursed. To a rat, emptiness and fullness are rated by the gut, and the sinew in the tooth. If he then gets laid, and if he could or wanted to say anything at all, wouldn't it be 'life is sweet'?
Lightness and darkness don't need explaining to most animals. It's a given, we've adapted, I have more success eating at night than I do in the daylight, or whatever my (species) chosen strategy.
I say that nothingness exists except for the dead (who couldn't care), and for (living) humans as an abstraction, simply because we've got that 'capable of juggling things brain'.  When the juggling stops, we're animals again, but worse, we're the cat kicked out of the house  to become feral again or die trying.  Or the flushed turtle.
I ate well tonight, I'm (hopefully) gonna get laid, and when I'm satiated, emptied, and subsequently bored I'll see if I still have any weird phenomenological text books that I once enjoyed trying to understand, and the existential stuff that I tended toward because it suited my adolescent demeanor but still didn't understand. I outgrew itl. I was a sham. My endeavors were shallow and hopeless. I'm going to concentrate on getting laid Smiley
I'm glad to see that some people still think about things, but I don't envy you.
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
October 29, 2013, 07:18:54 PM
As many posters here pointed out the evolution doesn't care about things like "style of life" or try to optimize for something. It just happens. So according to that view horses, cows and pigs had equal chances as dinosaurs to begin evolving wings. Since we have agreed that ostriches don't get any disadvantages of having wings while still being incapable of flight, then we should have seen pigs with rudiments of wings too, but we didn't. Truly random mutations must have produced that. Yet we only see the mutations, where they make sense and eventually lead to an implementation of some higher-order concept.

The coccyx in humans is the rudiment of a tail (most of which has disappeared).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccyx

So, again, we got rid of the tail instead of growing a bigger one because it made sense, not because it reduced our ability to survive. I bet tails would make an office clerk's life troublesome Smiley

As many posters here pointed out the evolution doesn't care about things like "style of life" or try to optimize for something. It just happens. So according to that view horses, cows and pigs had equal chances as dinosaurs to begin evolving wings. Since we have agreed that ostriches don't get any disadvantages of having wings while still being incapable of flight, then we should have seen pigs with rudiments of wings too, but we didn't. Truly random mutations must have produced that. Yet we only see the mutations, where they make sense and eventually lead to an implementation of some higher-order concept.

interlagos, sorry, but you lack even the minimum understanding of the laws of nature.

Go on Khan Academy and watch the Evolution videos, search the website I've already pointed you to...

It's pointless we try to explain you why pigs don't have wings when you lack the minimum understanding of how life works.

The animals you pointed are bad examples because they were artificially selected by humans.

Wings evolve separately in several species because it gave an advantage to the animal, and there is not something like a half-wing, it has always a purpose, wings in their earliest form (in some dinosaur) probably were useful for regulating temperature, slowly the animal was able to use those for 1) escaping predators 2) catching pray, and that characteristic was passed to the next generation and so on...

You can see this progression with every characteristic in the animal kingdom, how the eye evolved, how venom evolved, and so on.

We can't explain you everything case by case, but if you understand the fundamental laws of nature, you will understand why snakes do what they do, and why we walk on two feet.

It's intentional. It's good sometimes to dumb yourself down and revisit things that might seem obvious, because you might get an argument you didn't expect. That's how I evolve Smiley

And, by the way, I love Khan Academy, watched a few videos on biology a few years ago, priceless! Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
October 29, 2013, 06:55:39 PM

interlagos, sorry, but you lack even the minimum understanding of the laws of nature.

Go on Khan Academy and watch the Evolution videos, search the website I've already pointed you to...

It's pointless we try to explain you why pigs don't have wings when you lack the minimum understanding of how life works.

The animals you pointed are bad examples because they were artificially selected by humans.

Wings evolve separately in several species because it gave an advantage to the animal, and there is not something like a half-wing, it has always a purpose, wings in their earliest form (in some dinosaur) probably were useful for regulating temperature, slowly the animal was able to use those for 1) escaping predators 2) catching pray, and that characteristic was passed to the next generation and so on...

You can see this progression with every characteristic in the animal kingdom, how the eye evolved, how venom evolved, and so on.

We can't explain you everything case by case, but if you understand the fundamental laws of nature, you will understand why snakes do what they do, and why we walk on two feet.
legendary
October 29, 2013, 06:38:31 PM
I'd like to see a definition of "species" sufficient enough to account for all of life, without exception, before answering this question.

By the way, the best definition I can think of for a human is that "a human has two human parents," but that would be problematic for evolution (i.e. the first human would have to have come from non-human parents).  So...complicated question.

That's because there is not such thing as the first human, every animal or plant is always "between" species...
Activity: 158
October 29, 2013, 06:32:56 PM
If you choose the first answer "Natural evolution", please describe how "random mutations" increase genetic information as opposed to actually destroying it.
I believe the answer to this is philosophical.
Why does anything have to exist at all?
Because, I believe, everything must have an opposite. Including "nothingness".
In order for there to be "nothing" there also has to be "something".
Likewise, in order for there to be darkness, there has to be light.
In order for the opposite of nothingness to exist, there has to be a creating intelligence behind it. Which is why intelligent life evolves in the universe.
the big bang, which came from where?
This intelligence, if it reaches the maximum intelligence possible, will be able to create other universes (big bangs) in which life will evolve in order for the perpetual creation of universes to be sustained.

In other words, DNA comes from a process originating from nothing at all.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
October 29, 2013, 06:17:05 PM
I'd like to see a definition of "species" sufficient enough to account for all of life, without exception, before answering this question.

By the way, the best definition I can think of for a human is that "a human has two human parents," but that would be problematic for evolution (i.e. the first human would have to have come from non-human parents).  So...complicated question.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
October 29, 2013, 06:15:59 PM

Actually, style of life is the biggest factor in deciding whether a random change in DNA will prove beneficial to the organism or not.  That is precisely what is being asserted; the organisms living today aren't the strongest or the smartest, they're only the most adaptable.  Of course evolution doesn't care about any of that because evolution is not an intelligent higher power.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006
100 satoshis -> ISO code
October 29, 2013, 06:12:00 PM

The coccyx in humans is the rudiment of a tail (most of which has disappeared).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccyx
October 29, 2013, 05:58:54 PM
Why didn't horses or cows or even pigs start to evolve wings? Smiley

Because their style of life, consumption, and reproduction does not require them to fly? They went the run fast and be big enough to fight things off route, instead of the fly away route. Plus they are not carnivores, and birds evolved from carnivorous dinos that needed to swoop down on top of their prey.

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
October 29, 2013, 05:42:47 PM
"The Origin of the Human DNA"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2YnC0JmVfA

If you choose the first answer "Natural evolution", please describe how "random mutations" increase genetic information as opposed to actually destroying it. What is the force behind evolution that attempts to decrease entropy as opposed to the laws of thermodynamics, which state that isolated systems eventually evolve towards the state of maximum entropy (complete lack of order). Is there an external influence on our system then? What might that be?

Answer: there is no such force.  Evolution is a series of accidents and a tiny minority of accidents improve the chance of a critter successfully reproducing. For example, in the North Sea, cod are shrinking because ones that are smaller are more likely to reproduce before being caught by a trawler.  If fishing stopped a few years, the advantage for reproducing would go to bigger cod and the small ones would disappear.  There is no "force" - just the collision of random mutations with the environment in which the critter has to reproduce.

The really interesting question is how did life start?  You'd think that there would have been umpteen examples of life starting in the billions of years the planet has been around but we know that it only happened once.
Activity: 140
"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."
October 29, 2013, 05:33:16 PM
Evolution and Abiogenesis are NOT the same thing.

And, frankly, any definition of life is highly dependent on scale.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
October 29, 2013, 05:29:00 PM
Did he just try to prove that modern birds all came from the velociraptor?

Not necessarily the Velociraptor but dinosaurs.

And not prove but simplified explain.

The Velociraptor is just the one where good feathered Remains have been found.

It sounds like you've read up a bit on dinosaurs but have some stuff confused. Birds descended from theropoda, okay. Not all dinosaurs.

Yes, I meant those. Of course not all Dinosaurs  Huh are you serious? Nobody can't be that hairsplitting.

Sorry I'm not looking up every exact name.

2. Dinosaurs on two legs (like all birds today are on two legs)

Birds evolved from Dinosaurs and are their direct descendants. In Fact a T-Rex is more closely related to a Turkey than to a Stegosaurus.

I'd love to see some scientific journals or something backing up such a bold claim. Or is that merely your conjecture?

http://www.livescience.com/1410-rex-related-chickens.html

It not states the closer relation to the Turkey, but look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur#Taxonomy  ( Tyrannosauridae ; Aves ; and Stegosauria)

What better proof could there be than a xkcd about it  Grin
legendary
October 29, 2013, 05:28:13 PM
That's no where near far back enough for me....where did all that come from? the big bang, which came from where? the singularity that was created by radiation and gasses in space, which came from where? black matter which collided with some other thing, where did that come from? see how that can just keep going....

And if evolution doesn't try to explain the beginning of life, why does it try to explain anything at all? Why start explaining a subject half way through it's time-line?

Those are the "million dollar" questions...

It's not enough for you nor for everyone else and there are a lot of people working hard trying to find those answers...

Theory of Evolution explains how life evolves, that's it.

Really?
Activity: 140
"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."
October 29, 2013, 05:24:53 PM
As to the origins of everything, see Asimov's "The Last Question"

http://filer.case.edu/dts8/thelastq.htm

And as to evolution through natural selection - it's easy to say "Prove it!" when the complexities of understanding a process that exceeds one's own span of existence in time by a magnitude of a great many shitloads is tedious at best. An easier way is by looking at much shorter (time-wise) examples, like the fruit fly study, or how elephants are losing their tusks due to a certain gene and their only predator's affinity for ivory: http://sector9evolution.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-evolution-of-tuskless-elephants-due_22.html

Dawkins is all about the athiesm these days, but everyone should read The Selfish Gene, the book that put him on the map. Genes are the closest thing to immortality this planet has ever seen.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
October 29, 2013, 05:23:02 PM
Consciousness likely evolved in gradual stages as well. To survive, animals have to be aware of their surroundings, of where their own limbs and bodies are, of things happening to and inside of their bodies (pain, illness, etc), and to predict where things will go in the short term, either to catch prey, or to avoid predators. Just from that you have all the basic building blocks of self awareness.

For something to appear self-aware is a completely mechanical notion. But as for you, sitting there in your body, aware of yourself and others, mechanics alone cannot begin to explain what "you" are doing "in there," as opposed your absence (in that you are absent from the experiences of others).

Why not? Why can't mechanics alone explain what is it that I am sensing and describing to myself?
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
October 29, 2013, 05:18:53 PM

Because their style of life, consumption, and reproduction does not require them to fly? They went the run fast and be big enough to fight things off route, instead of the fly away route. Plus they are not carnivores, and birds evolved from carnivorous dinos that needed to swoop down on top of their prey.
Activity: 504
WTF???
October 29, 2013, 05:10:41 PM
Did he just try to prove that modern birds all came from the velociraptor?

Not necessarily the Velociraptor but dinosaurs. And not prove but simplified explain.

The Velociraptor is just the one where good feathered Remains have been found.

It sounds like you've read up a bit on dinosaurs but have some stuff confused. Birds descended from theropoda, okay. Not all dinosaurs.

Birds evolved from Dinosaurs and are their direct descendants. In Fact a T-Rex is more closely related to a Turkey than to a Stegosaurus.

I'd love to see some scientific journals or something backing up such a bold claim. Or is that merely your conjecture?
Activity: 220
Getting too old for all this.
October 29, 2013, 05:02:47 PM
Consciousness likely evolved in gradual stages as well. To survive, animals have to be aware of their surroundings, of where their own limbs and bodies are, of things happening to and inside of their bodies (pain, illness, etc), and to predict where things will go in the short term, either to catch prey, or to avoid predators. Just from that you have all the basic building blocks of self awareness.

For something to appear self-aware is a completely mechanical notion. But as for you, sitting there in your body, aware of yourself and others, mechanics alone cannot begin to explain what "you" are doing "in there," as opposed your absence (in that you are absent from the experiences of others).
October 29, 2013, 05:00:37 PM
Then why don't we see those flightless birds to eventually get rid of the wings completely in the process of evolution? Why doesn't evolution optimize for that?

Penguins used to have wings, but have evolved them into more like fuzzy flippers instead, since in their environment they get more food by "flying" under water than flying through the air. If you ever get a chance to see them doing that at a zoo, do it. They are quite amazing to watch.

That's the point. The penguins are amazing, the animals in general are cute and beautiful. They all make sense beyond just being able to reproduce. It seems that there is an idea behind each type of species.

Just some food for thought...

Multiverse theories are proposed to counter the anthropic principle, suggesting that the reason the universe is so specifically suited to life as we know it is that life as we know it is suited to *this* universe out of many.. An argument against that idea might be that life is extremely unlikely even in this universe, yet came about in a shockingly short time frame, making this also an unlikely multiverse.

Some suggest life as we know it couldn't have evolved even if the universe were filled with primordial soup, yet we see it thriving on a planet that was too cool for life at the time it's been claimed to have begun, thanks to a faint young sun (a problem which "is not yet solved" according to Nature & Nature Geoscience)

An honest man, armed with all the knowledge available to us now, could only state that in some sense, the origin of life appears at the moment to be almost a miracle, so many are the conditions which would have had to have been satisfied to get it going - Francis Crick

Suppose a dozen sharp-shooters are sent to execute a prisoner by firing squad. They all shoot a number of rounds in that direction, but the prisoner escapes unharmed. The prisoner could conclude, since he is alive, that all the sharp-shooters missed by some extremely unlikely chance. He may wish to attribute his survival to some remarkable piece of good luck. But he would be far more rational to conclude that the guns were loaded with blanks or that the sharp-shooters had deliberately missed. Not only is life itself overwhelmingly improbable, but its appearance, almost immediately, perhaps in as short a period as 10 million years following the solidification and cooling of our once molten planet, defies explanation by conventional physical and chemical laws. - William Lane Craig

"Everything in physical science is a lot of protons, neutrons and electrons, while in daily life, we talk about men and history or beauty and hope. Which is nearer to God-beauty and hope or the fundamental laws? To stand at either end and to walk off that end of the pier only, hoping that out in that direction is a complete understanding, is a mistake." - Richard Feynman

Great quotes, thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: