Pages:
Author

Topic: The Pirate Bay's website steals your CPU Power to mine Monero - page 2. (Read 783 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 256
This has been done before, and stealing people's CPU time has never really been accepted as a valid way to make money for a site.  Then again, it's not like downloading the ads isn't stealing your bandwidth.  You can block both ads and scripts these days, so if you really don't want to participate, you don't have to.  Sites should be up front about mining though.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
Very worried, this should not happen.

TPB should provide users with specific information to let users know.

this is a crime, maybe TPB does this to add a large operating costs.

i find it kind of hard to sympathise with anyone who gets their ass felt by visiting the piratebay. in case you hadn't noticed people going there are breaking a few laws themselves.
Activity: 658
Merit: 100
Very worried, this should not happen.

TPB should provide users with specific information to let users know.

this is a crime, maybe TPB does this to add a large operating costs.
Activity: 504
Merit: 102
What can we say, Pirates always be Pirates.
Everybody tryes to earn money how he can.
Activity: 723
Merit: 106
STABILA [STB] - Decentralize The Financial System

As you may already know, The Pirate Bay is one of the most popular torrent and file-sharing websites in the world.
The Pirate Bay's team has recently been caught taking advantage of its website popularity, and trying to make money by secretly injecting a Javascript code in it, to make its visitors generate (Mine) a cryptocurrency called Monero for the team.
After this issue was reported, The Pirate Bay issued a statement on its website saying that, it was only a test for just 24 hours :

"This is only a test. We really want to get rid of all the ads. But we also need enough money to keep the site running," says The Pirate Bay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://steemit.com/monero/@bad.r2017/the-pirate-bay-s-website-steals-your-cpu-power-to-mine-monero
but until yesterday the code is removed in the piratebay site.
Activity: 378
Merit: 251
It is actually a good thing that they are trying to find ways in monetizing the site. What they just failed to do is inform people about what they are doing. People go to TPB for one thing, to download stuff that is ripped off from others. They do not have a membership system so putting ads on the site was their way to monetize. Now, if they just launch a disclaimer that they want to mine Monero, all the better. It can fund for their servers and keep the site running.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
as long as they tell people i'm ok with it. it's a far more honest way of monetizing than serving up ads that drive you crazy.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
I saw it on the site right after I went there. So I don't think they wanted to keep it as a secret. And I have no problem with it, the more people and companies, sites will use cryptocurrencies the better.
Activity: 2744
Merit: 541
Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man
I saw this in the news and thought it was very cheeky. I am all for web hosts to try new ways to monetise/finance their sites.. and if this method involves crypto currencies then all the better.

They SHOULD HAVE told people about it though...
I agree if they informed their visitors about this maybe they will be able to provide good explanation for such action, they already have an established name
and giving enough info about this will let the people/ visitors to understand how it will help the site to continue surviving as they have knowledge that in
order to facilitate funding is a must in every website that has been existing, another open idea for crypto industry.
Activity: 2842
Merit: 772

As you may already know, The Pirate Bay is one of the most popular torrent and file-sharing websites in the world.
The Pirate Bay's team has recently been caught taking advantage of its website popularity, and trying to make money by secretly injecting a Javascript code in it, to make its visitors generate (Mine) a cryptocurrency called Monero for the team.
After this issue was reported, The Pirate Bay issued a statement on its website saying that, it was only a test for just 24 hours :

"This is only a test. We really want to get rid of all the ads. But we also need enough money to keep the site running," says The Pirate Bay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://steemit.com/monero/@bad.r2017/the-pirate-bay-s-website-steals-your-cpu-power-to-mine-monero

Hmm.. its a malware or trojan that exploited Window users to mine XMR. It doesn't look good in their images if you are going to ask me. But they don't have image to protect in the first place that's why they take advantage of every unsuspecting victim who uses their website.

I saw this in the news and thought it was very cheeky. I am all for web hosts to try new ways to monetise/finance their sites.. and if this method involves crypto currencies then all the better.

If they told people that then would have lost alot of "customers" and revenues. Well that's the price to have to pay for downloading pirated copies of movies or software. Good thing I no longer using their site. Its one thing they let people downloaded pirated copy, but another thing if you are stealing in return.
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
I dont think they would receive any positive feedback from taking advantage from us in such cheeky way
Activity: 182
They say a thin line separates genius and madness.
I think if pirate bay announces this first before implementing it would have generated a positive feedback. Most of people who downloads on pirate bay knows that the owner needs money to to keep running so if they knew that pirate bay would use their cpu so it can maintain their service I think it will be ok to them since it is like giving something in return for the free service that they get.
Activity: 157

Activity: 23
Merit: 0
https://i.imgur.com/Kpe9Fqd.jpg

Pages:
Jump to: