Pages:
Author

Topic: The problem with atheism. - page 35. (Read 38463 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
September 12, 2013, 01:23:43 PM
  Faith can also be equated with trust. I have faith that the sun is going to come up tomorrow, although there is no empirical proof that it will, because you cannot prove that there is not a mass of anti-matter hurtling through space that doesn't show up on any instruments and is going to blot out the sun sometime in the next day. The belief that the sun will still exist tomorrow is therefore irrational.

It has been popular in some circles recently to replace the word "god" with "the universe." If you are talking about anything that is as small as the universe, or as small as an infinite number of universes, then you are not talking about the Most High. The insistence by some groups on emphasizing the importance of worshiping something smaller than the universe as being key to personal salvation is what caused me to reject God and label myself as an atheist. All praise and thanks to the Creator of everything that exists that I was able to travel outside of the US and see other perspectives...
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
September 12, 2013, 07:08:41 AM

If man's completeness is predicated on his relationship with the true God (and there exists a true God), there's obviously plenty of harm in worshiping false ones.

Well this gets back to my original point, that of course those who espouse religion (and benefit from it) would claim something like "man's completeness is predicated on his relationship with the true God".  But there's no empirical proof of such a claim.

There is no empirical proof that universal noncontradiction is valid [ ~(A & ~A)], you are accepting universal noncontradiction on *faith*.
Faith, by definition, is a belief *not* based on proof.  If something is verifiable, it is no longer faith.  Yet you are asking for proof. Angry

Activity: 793
Merit: 1026
September 12, 2013, 02:46:26 AM
I'm not sure why you think it's somehow bad that he claims that the punishment for and our cultural view of crimes should be related to the damage they do.  All he said was he was molested as a child and that it didn't cause him any terrible lasting damage.

Crimes should be judged by the pain and suffering they cause.  That's a reasonable thing to say.

That could easily be Dawkin's minimising the problem in his own mind because no-one protected him, and probably no-one believed him or validated his experience or something like that.   He claims it has had no lasting effect but I bet if a psychologist were to diagnose him they would find negative consequences in his life, because it is obvious he hasn't dealt with it if he is saying things like that.

Or maybe.... it just didn't have much of an effect.

Kids don't know what sex is, they don't know what's appropriate or not.  If he was molested, he may have not even known about it and just chalked it up to weird tickling.  It may truly have been a completely innocuous experience as far as he was concerned.

I'm not saying it WAS innocuous, I'm just saying that it's an entirely reasonable possibility that nobody seems to be admitting... that it actually isn't that harmful to the child is some situations.
Activity: 364
Merit: 253
September 11, 2013, 11:15:33 PM
So I did a quick google search on Richard Dawkins today.
If I were an atheist I would start using Penn Jilette as an example instead. Just saying.
http://www.salon.com/2013/09/10/richard_dawkins_defends_mild_pedophilia_says_it_does_not_cause_lasting_harm/

Very cool thread so far.

I'm not sure why you think it's somehow bad that he claims that the punishment for and our cultural view of crimes should be related to the damage they do.  All he said was he was molested as a child and that it didn't cause him any terrible lasting damage.

Crimes should be judged by the pain and suffering they cause.  That's a reasonable thing to say.

That could easily be Dawkin's minimising the problem in his own mind because no-one protected him, and probably no-one believed him or validated his experience or something like that.   He claims it has had no lasting effect but I bet if a psychologist were to diagnose him they would find negative consequences in his life, because it is obvious he hasn't dealt with it if he is saying things like that.

Incidentally, what Dawkins (or any athiest) says doesn't reflect on atheists or atheism in general.   Because it's not a religion and there are no dictates.  It's simply people who don't believe God claims.  That's it.  They don't have anything else in common.
September 11, 2013, 11:08:23 PM

If man's completeness is predicated on his relationship with the true God (and there exists a true God), there's obviously plenty of harm in worshiping false ones.

Well this gets back to my original point, that of course those who espouse religion (and benefit from it) would claim something like "man's completeness is predicated on his relationship with the true God".  But there's no empirical proof of such a claim.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1006
First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold
September 11, 2013, 11:08:00 PM
Off topic but the child issue is a problem caused by government arbitrarily declaring someone a child and not a child based only on age and not their actions.  Having said that once there can be found a better way of properly identifying a child it is not ok to do things to them without their consent which can't be given by a child.
Activity: 793
Merit: 1026
September 11, 2013, 10:08:48 PM
So I did a quick google search on Richard Dawkins today.
If I were an atheist I would start using Penn Jilette as an example instead. Just saying.
http://www.salon.com/2013/09/10/richard_dawkins_defends_mild_pedophilia_says_it_does_not_cause_lasting_harm/

Very cool thread so far.

I'm not sure why you think it's somehow bad that he claims that the punishment for and our cultural view of crimes should be related to the damage they do.  All he said was he was molested as a child and that it didn't cause him any terrible lasting damage.

Crimes should be judged by the pain and suffering they cause.  That's a reasonable thing to say.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1006
First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold
September 11, 2013, 07:01:39 PM
What God(s) are best to worship? There are so many to choose from, how does one go about deciding?
Flip a coin.  If god exists he will make the coin land for the right choice.  If god doesn't exist it doesn't matter.

Smiley Coin has only two (three) sides
Grab a Zoohedron dice if you find that many religions appealing.  Wink
Activity: 728
September 11, 2013, 01:43:15 PM
    God is entirely free of need, and does not need our worship. Worship is the most beneficial thing in existence for we created beings. The universe, as well as religion, are created for our benefit.

The utility of faith can be logically demonstrated, as I tried to demonstrate earlier in this thread. The argument is further bolstered by the placebo effect and other anecdotal evidence.

I would simply point anyone who doubts the reality of phenomenon that are not empirically observable to DMT.

Listen to the prophets- their message is one. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
September 11, 2013, 12:37:46 PM
Why would a God need people to worship him?  Think about it.  If you were all-powerful, benevolent and wise and created your own little universe populated by little beings far less powerful than you, why would you worry so much about them worshipping you or worshipping false idols etc?  Doesn't that seem petty?  And petulant?  If that's the guy ruling paradise I'm not so sure I want to be there.

Of course, priests DO CARE about which God you are worshipping because it directly affects their bottom line.  

Religion.  Just another scam.  The second biggest scam in the history of the world.

Your problem is not with religion (i assume you are talking about Christianity), but with the Church & the Christendom.  Read Matthew 23 -- Jesus shares your ideas about priests.

As far as idolatry & graven images, that's O.T., Exodus stuff.  Think of it as your parents teaching you not to stick your hand into the fire -- you burning yourself doesn't hurt them, the reason they pwn you for playing with matches is to *teach* you, not because they're petty.

I actually don't have a problem with religion.  It's obviously false but then people are allowed to believe false things if they want.  As long as I don't have to have anything to do with it, people can kneel and pray and "amen" to whatever imaginary friends they like.

As for the rest, I'm aware of the bible cherry-picking.     Your analogy about the children isn't a good one.  That's a real danger.  Let's assume that this God nonsense is true for a second.  The god would know that they were the only God.  What harm would it do to him or the beings he had created if they worship a false god or gods?  No-one's being hurt.  

All this talk, of course, has nothing to do with true faith, which lies outside of logic and reason.  Faith, by definition, is fully opaque to rational discourse.

Semantic fun...

To not know is to doubt. To know is to not doubt.  To doubt is to not have faith.  To not doubt is to have faith.  To not know is to not have faith.  To know is to have faith.

Also...

What one can prove he cannot know.  What one knows he cannot prove.  Scientists really need to understand the importance of this statement.
September 11, 2013, 10:02:13 AM
Why would a God need people to worship him?  Think about it.  If you were all-powerful, benevolent and wise and created your own little universe populated by little beings far less powerful than you, why would you worry so much about them worshipping you or worshipping false idols etc?  Doesn't that seem petty?  And petulant?  If that's the guy ruling paradise I'm not so sure I want to be there.

Of course, priests DO CARE about which God you are worshipping because it directly affects their bottom line.  

Religion.  Just another scam.  The second biggest scam in the history of the world.

Your problem is not with religion (i assume you are talking about Christianity), but with the Church & the Christendom.  Read Matthew 23 -- Jesus shares your ideas about priests.

As far as idolatry & graven images, that's O.T., Exodus stuff.  Think of it as your parents teaching you not to stick your hand into the fire -- you burning yourself doesn't hurt them, the reason they pwn you for playing with matches is to *teach* you, not because they're petty.

I actually don't have a problem with religion.  It's obviously false but then people are allowed to believe false things if they want.  As long as I don't have to have anything to do with it, people can kneel and pray and "amen" to whatever imaginary friends they like.

As for the rest, I'm aware of the bible cherry-picking.     Your analogy about the children isn't a good one.  That's a real danger.  Let's assume that this God nonsense is true for a second.  The god would know that they were the only God.  What harm would it do to him or the beings he had created if they worship a false god or gods?  No-one's being hurt.  

All this talk, of course, has nothing to do with true faith, which lies outside of logic and reason.  Faith, by definition, is fully opaque to rational discourse.
September 11, 2013, 09:07:22 AM

September 11, 2013, 08:28:50 AM
Why would a God need people to worship him?  Think about it.  If you were all-powerful, benevolent and wise and created your own little universe populated by little beings far less powerful than you, why would you worry so much about them worshipping you or worshipping false idols etc?  Doesn't that seem petty?  And petulant?  If that's the guy ruling paradise I'm not so sure I want to be there.

Religion.  Just another scam.  The second biggest scam in the history of the world.

Your problem is not with religion (i assume you are talking about Christianity), but with the Church & the Christendom.  Read Matthew 23 -- Jesus shares your ideas about priests.

As far as idolatry & graven images, that's O.T., Exodus stuff.  Think of it as your parents teaching you not to stick your hand into the fire -- you burning yourself doesn't hurt them, the reason they pwn you for playing with matches is to *teach* you, not because they're petty.
Activity: 980
FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]
September 11, 2013, 07:29:43 AM
Religion is just a wonderful tool to encourage people doing everything you want them to do for free.
Isn't it amazing when someone craves to kill as much as possible around them and then die just because of promises to appear in illusive world where they can fuck 72 virgins(boys/goats) forever with permanent erection?

Confirmed.

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/72_Virgins

wow - at the descriptions part!

Transparent to the marrow of their bones
Companions of equal age
White skinned
Appetizing vaginas
Non-menstruating / non-urinating/ non-defecating and childfree
Never dissatisfied

and etc

that's fucked up.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
September 11, 2013, 05:36:44 AM
Religion is just a wonderful tool to encourage people doing everything you want them to do for free.
Isn't it amazing when someone craves to kill as much as possible around them and then die just because of promises to appear in illusive world where they can fuck 72 virgins(boys/goats) forever with permanent erection?

Confirmed.

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/72_Virgins
donator
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
September 11, 2013, 05:19:25 AM
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
September 11, 2013, 05:10:00 AM
Darwin invented or discovered that complexity does not always have to decay, but can evolve from simplicity through nonperfect copying and natural selection. The effect was that God is not necessary. Before Darwin, divine creation was maybe the most rational solution to the complexity problem. It must have been overwhelming at the time. His book is still readable and available on the net.

As science advanced, it became clear that it was not the individual that was the subject of copying, it was the genes. (Darwin did not know about DNA) Dawkins summed up the status of the genetic science with his "The selfish gene", also cutting short some erroneus partial theories like group selection and some political variants. Based on current science, he concluded that the mind, supported by the brain, did not have to be controlled by evolution directly, leading to free will. In his own work, in "The extended phenotype", he expanded on that, and also showed that the environment of the genes was not only the cell, or the individual, but the nature at large, including the great universe, and the inverse, that the genes are also able to affect the nature outside the individual, including the universe. Which takes the puff out of the environmentalist balloon, if you ask me.

Dawkins also tries to explain the fact that religion seems to exist everywhere, with natural selection. He tried to invent meme copying and selection as another form of life, maybe not too successfully. In "The God delution" he tries another variant, that listening to your parents without questioning can be lifesaving for small kids, and this instinct erroneously (in natural selection sense) is kept when the child grows up, including when the time comes to raise its own kids.

That's my understanding of Dawkins anyway.
Activity: 980
FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]
September 11, 2013, 03:29:12 AM
What God(s) are best to worship? There are so many to choose from, how does one go about deciding?
Flip a coin.  If god exists he will make the coin land for the right choice.  If god doesn't exist it doesn't matter.

Smiley Coin has only two (three) sides
legendary
September 11, 2013, 01:15:32 AM
Religion is as subjective as the words used to describe them.

This sentence doesn't do much good, and it dismisses the fact that language CAN, in fact, provide a totally accurate (though abstract) model of reality.  You might as well be saying that the interpretation of data in science is as subjective as the words used to describe them.  Everybody is looking for the same thing - truth.  And, some call that truth different things, which is OK.  What matters is if someone's definition of truth is tautologically correct and thus a mirror of absolute truth itself.  Reality, like logic, is self-contained, for if there were something real enough (or logical enough) outside of reality (or logic) to be described as such, then it would still be included within reality (or logic).  Truthful models can exist, and there can be multiple truthful models if all of the variables are analogous to those contained in another model.

But, the most important thing to note is that the mere existence of absolute truth is actually ridiculously easy to establish, because any attempts to deny its existence only reinforces its existence.  The same can be said for a totally accurate model of absolute truth - any attempts to disprove it will only reinforce it.

Suppose you say, "All truth is relative."  Then you are actually saying, "It is the absolute truth that all truth is relative."  If you say, "There is no absolute truth," then you are really saying, "It is the absolute truth that there is no absolute truth."  If you say, "There is more than one absolute truth," you are saying, "It is the one absolute truth that there are more than one absolute truths."

A perfect model of reality functions the same way.  Religions are attempts to construct such models.

You sure used a lot of words to describe an idea that reminds me of a religion.

Think of this:
Every word you know, every experience you've earned is not through the direct result of your choice, but that choice in and of it self is the direct result of all the actions and reactions of everything else that existed before you and every choice you make.

"Absolute truth" are words that exist outside the mind, where inside is where it is necessary to comprehend it's absolute truthfulness.

Do you believe in pure determinism, by the way?

If so, consider this:  A free entity would be free to place its own constraints.
legendary
September 11, 2013, 01:12:27 AM
Religion is as subjective as the words used to describe them.

This sentence doesn't do much good, and it dismisses the fact that language CAN, in fact, provide a totally accurate (though abstract) model of reality.  You might as well be saying that the interpretation of data in science is as subjective as the words used to describe them.  Everybody is looking for the same thing - truth.  And, some call that truth different things, which is OK.  What matters is if someone's definition of truth is tautologically correct and thus a mirror of absolute truth itself.  Reality, like logic, is self-contained, for if there were something real enough (or logical enough) outside of reality (or logic) to be described as such, then it would still be included within reality (or logic).  Truthful models can exist, and there can be multiple truthful models if all of the variables are analogous to those contained in another model.

But, the most important thing to note is that the mere existence of absolute truth is actually ridiculously easy to establish, because any attempts to deny its existence only reinforces its existence.  The same can be said for a totally accurate model of absolute truth - any attempts to disprove it will only reinforce it.

Suppose you say, "All truth is relative."  Then you are actually saying, "It is the absolute truth that all truth is relative."  If you say, "There is no absolute truth," then you are really saying, "It is the absolute truth that there is no absolute truth."  If you say, "There is more than one absolute truth," you are saying, "It is the one absolute truth that there are more than one absolute truths."

A perfect model of reality functions the same way.  Religions are attempts to construct such models.

You sure used a lot of words to describe an idea that reminds me of a religion.

Think of this:
Every word you know, every experience you've earned is not through the direct result of your choice, but that choice in and of it self is the direct result of all the actions and reactions of everything else that existed before you and every choice you make.

"Absolute truth" are words that exist outside the mind, where inside is where it is necessary to comprehend it's absolute truthfulness.

A religion is a type of belief system.  Christianity, for example, is often referred to as a belief with zero evidence, aka a faith-based religion.  Buddism, for example, is often practiced as a belief system based upon evidence.  Science is similar to Buddhism to that extent.  I think you categorize religions as special because they all have a certain social flavor that's so strong you can taste it.  But still, not even all religions incorporating some belief in a deity are the same.  Polytheistic gods are significantly different from monotheistic ones and bring to the table different assumptions.  Science has its own assumptions.  Observation has zero assumptions.
Pages:
Jump to: