Pages:
Author

Topic: The slave does not dream of freedom, but of being the slave-master - page 5. (Read 779 times)

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1860
For me, there's much truth in it. Such is the reason why I always think the cycle is perpetual. The powerful of today was the powerless of yesterday, and the powerless of today would seek to dislodge the powerful and eventually become the powerful himself, who would then become the target of the powerless, and so on. All else are products of power struggle.

BTW I am very interested in knowing if this is a quote from anyone famous or just part of the script.

I looked for it online and I have read the names of the German philosopher Hegel and US President Lincoln, although not exactly the same words but somehow to that effect.
copper member
Activity: 2324
Merit: 2142
Slots Enthusiast & Expert
The term "slave" is broad and often used figuratively. Think about it, slave don't have ownership (assets), and they don't have freedom (to choose). Nowadays most of us (well, except people from CCP country) have the freedom to choose our career, to work or become unemployed, to pursue our happiness. That's nowhere near the true medieval slave.

I don't think we strive to be a slave master in its literal sense. We don't own people, but simply pay them for their work. They are free to come and go. Just like Bitcoin, where the relationship between nodes isn't slave-master, thus every node can come and go, and only get paid from its proof-of-work.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 622
Unfortunately, this phrase certainly applies to the majority of people in modern society. Most people find jobs simply to maintain life, though not fully being conscious of the fact that they spend most of their life on that job they don't like, I believe that makes them slaves.

Most people are ok with doing the same job in the same position for 20 years, they don't even bother thinking of something bigger, they're settled, they have money to provide for their family, and have no other need. A lesser % tries to achieve something bigger in a particular field, climb the career ladder, get better positions with higher salaries and better recognition, and that is exactly the concept you described - trying to be better slaves.

Only a very small % of people actually think of existential problems, have bigger aims and realize that there's much more to this life than just going to your job, these people try to create something of their own. implement new ideas and have a thrive to learn and develop.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
It could be referencing a famous quotation from Aristotle who said: "some men are only fit to be slaves". That quote has been making its rounds on social media and the internet of late.

As someone who used to follow the news very closely. Yes. There have been cases of journalists and reporters sneaking into meetings and parties of CEO's and ruling elites who commented on their culture developing into one where they generally view the public with disdain.

AFAIK the original goal of bitcoin and crypto wasn't to get rich. It was simply to build a better mousetrap. In the hope that humanity would benefit. Over time that may have changed a little. New personalities got involved who only cared about money. But I think there are still many in crypto who prioritize values over profits.

legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1598
Do not die for Putin
This is a sentence I recently heard on a TV series I was watching that made me think of my own stance in life. Am I striving to become the master of slaves?  Perhaps those who climb the corporate ladder think in those terms? Are we creating our own cryptocurrency just to be our own masters or are we actually seeking to become the new masters of the new slaves? BTW I am very interested in knowing if this is a quote from anyone famous or just part of the script.
Pages:
Jump to: