Pages:
Author

Topic: The three main concerns I have about bitcoin - page 3. (Read 2888 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
1) Think about the currency you use at the store everyday. Your government can always print more and always have more than you and they own more than 5% of its value.

2) Scarcity creates value

3) It will serve the people that use it for its intended purpose quite well and is already faster than many alternatives such as bank wire.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
1) Early adopters may have stashes of millions of bitcoin. If widely adopted a few super rich could have a huge influence over the whole bitcoin economy. Imagine owning 5% of all USD in circulation(with no fed to inflate).

"Only the man who does not need it, is fit to inherit wealth–the man who would make his own fortune no matter where he started. If an heir is equal to his money, it serves him; if not, it destroys him. But you look on and you cry that money corrupted him. Did it? Or did he corrupt his money? Do not envy a worthless heir; his wealth is not yours and you would have done no better with it. Do not think that it should have been distributed among you; loading the world with fifty parasites instead of one, would not bring back the dead virtue which was the fortune. Money is a living power that dies without its root. Money will not serve the mind that cannot match it."

http://capitalismmagazine.com/2002/08/franciscos-money-speech/
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Maybe these have already been addressed, but here they are.

1) Early adopters may have stashes of millions of bitcoin. If widely adopted a few super rich could have a huge influence over the whole bitcoin economy. Imagine owning 5% of all USD in circulation(with no fed to inflate).

2) The supply is fixed at 21 million, but bitcoins themselves are not permanent. People die all the time without wills. People die with btc on a computer/flashdrive that no one knows about, they're gone. People don't make backups, their computer crashes, they're gone. You might think this is great, because now your btc are more valuable. But for a currency, it's not such a good thing, to have the supply eroding over time. Theoreticly, the amount of btc could eventually go to zero.

3) Speed of transactions. If btc becomes very widely adopted, can it handle billions of transactions a day without speed becoming an issue?

Don't get me wrong. I love bitcoin and the whole concept behind it. These are just questions of someone looking to learn more.

Don't worry about it.

Buy low, sell high, hold some.

Mine, sell high, keep some.
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
Maybe these have already been addressed, but here they are.

2) The supply is fixed at 21 million, but bitcoins themselves are not permanent. People die all the time without wills. People die with btc on a computer/flashdrive that no one knows about, they're gone. People don't make backups, their computer crashes, they're gone. You might think this is great, because now your btc are more valuable. But for a currency, it's not such a good thing, to have the supply eroding over time. Theoreticly, the amount of btc could eventually go to zero.

3) Speed of transactions. If btc becomes very widely adopted, can it handle billions of transactions a day without speed becoming an issue?

Don't get me wrong. I love bitcoin and the whole concept behind it. These are just questions of someone looking to learn more.
Pages:
Jump to: