Pages:
Author

Topic: ❢❢❢ The value proposition of each coin: BTC, DOGE, LTC, DRK, PPC, XRP, NXT, etc. - page 5. (Read 11259 times)

Activity: 317
Merit: 252
Like I said before, Bitshares is a platform not currency. Monero is designed to be a anonymous currency as e-cash using ring signatures.

Originally, Bitshares was the name of the platform and Bitshares X was the name of one particular implementation of that platform, which was a currency. IIUC, for marketing reason, they renamed "Bitshares X" to just plain "Bitshares".

This actually caused me some headaches when pulling coin data from exchanges. The symbol changed too from BTSX to BTS. But it's the same coin.
Activity: 504
Merit: 504
How does Bitshares compare with Monero? I know that Bitshares has lots of extra "2.0" features. Besides these, how do they compare? How does anonymity compare?

Like I said before, Bitshares is a platform not currency. Monero is designed to be a anonymous currency as e-cash using ring signatures.

Like I said before, Bitshares is a platform AND a currency AND a family of useful smart currencies that track the value of other things.

The key word is "AND".  Smiley
Activity: 289
Merit: 250
How does Bitshares compare with Monero? I know that Bitshares has lots of extra "2.0" features. Besides these, how do they compare? How does anonymity compare?

OK guys, just updated the list. Darkcoin, Nxt, Monero, Bitshares. Let me know what you think.

Is bitshares a coin? I don't think so buddy. ...

Bitshares: BitShares is a family of DACs that implement the business model of a bank and exchange. BitShares X offers a bank account where funds can be transferred in seconds anywhere in the world with more privacy and security than a Swiss bank account and the account can never be frozen, funds cannot be seized, and the bank can never face collapse. Unlike existing banks, account balance can be denominated in gold, silver, oil, or other commodities in addition to national currencies. *Its not a coin, its a platform for commodities.

Actually, you can think of BitShares as a coin backed by the value of a business.  

Some view it as a coin that contains a decentralized exchange business that produces stabilized currencies (BitUSD, BitSilver...BitBTC) as it's products.

So it's a "smart coin" you can configure to implement your own basket of currencies that spread your risk out over a mix of fiat and commodities.

But only the technically inclined need to know all that.

You can trade BTS right next to BTC and LTC as a volatile cryptocurrency at #4 on coinmarketcap.
Or you can trade BitUSD as a stabilized second-generation cryptocurrency at #32 on coinmarketcap.

So, your would be more correct to say:  "BitShares is a coin that contains a company which produces a variety of independently tradable stabilized coins as its financial product."

And its built-in exchange lets you move between all of these: (BTS, BitBTC, BitUSD, BitCNY, BitGold, BitSilver, and BitEUR) in ten seconds at pennies per transaction.

While you are on this decentralized exchange, there is no counterparty risk.  So you can mix your exposure to a whole lot of asset types and adjust that mix every 10 seconds no matter what the centralized exchanges of the world may be forced to do to you.  When the time comes to cash out, you exit through whichever centralized exchange seems most trustworthy to you at that moment - reducing your fiat world exposure to minutes.

Not sure where you got your volume figures for BitShares.  
From coinmarketcap.com we see that most of the time volume is over $200,000 with occasional peaks above $500,000.

Volume so far today is
BTS 103,000 vs
NXT   21,000

I'm on the BTC38 website now. The 24 hour volume for BTS/BTC is 6.107 BTC / 134,659 BTS, which is tiny. For BTS/CNY, the volume is 6,746,522 BTS, which a lot more.

In my original volume analysis, I only looked at the volume of Alt/BTC and converted it to USD. Should I have also considered the Alt/Fiat volume?

Why is the BTS/CNY volume so much more than BTS/BTC? I would trade BTS for BTC or maybe for USD. Is trading it for CNY make sense? How do you get the CNY off the exchange (if you are not Chinese)? Why is the CNY volume so high? What's going on? I'd like to understand this more.

They have implemented wonderful 1:1 direct conversion between CNY and BitCNY so it draws a lot of market depth to this pair.  Market depth breeds market depth and tightens the peg. Recommend your volume comparisons either use at least the biggest market or a sum of all markets.  Smiley

I often go BTS to CNY then CNY to BTC just to enjoy the deeper markets.  Eventually the more direct markets will catch up.

But the point is, that BTS should definitely be on your list.  Smiley
Activity: 289
Merit: 250
OK guys, just updated the list. Darkcoin, Nxt, Monero, Bitshares. Let me know what you think.

Is bitshares a coin? I don't think so buddy. As far as I heard Darkcoin masternode anonymity wasn't fully developed and has issue for True Anonymity. Darkcoin is really valuable because speculators and its name. Monero has already implemented ring signatures and therefore already has established true anonymity rather than a theoretical anonymity(Darkcoin). As far as trusting which coin for true anonymous transactions, I rather go with Monero.  

NXT is very well developed but my issue is the POS bag holders situation. Everyone wants to stake large amounts of NXT, yet there is little incentive to spend NXT. The alternative to NXT IMO is NEM, built from the ground up like NXT, but with PoI (Proof of Importance) algorithm oppose to Proof of Stake. NEM incentives users to regularly trade NEMs rather than hoarding and staking. Real economies are only productive if there is a circulation of money. In a NXT economy, people are incentive to hoard not spend and likely to fail as real economy. In NEM economy, users are encouraged to actively received and send NEMS to other accounts to raise the Importance to harvest more NEM, therefore has a better chance as a real economy.      

Bitshares: BitShares is a family of DACs that implement the business model of a bank and exchange. BitShares X offers a bank account where funds can be transferred in seconds anywhere in the world with more privacy and security than a Swiss bank account and the account can never be frozen, funds cannot be seized, and the bank can never face collapse. Unlike existing banks, account balance can be denominated in gold, silver, oil, or other commodities in addition to national currencies. *Its not a coin, its a platform for commodities.

Just my 2 cents.
It uses a fundamentally broken architecture, and there is no way to fix that except abandon the architecture. Here's a quote from a post I made the other day:

Great analysis. Thanks. This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to see here. Will change what I wrote for DRK.
what is your reference for trade volumes?

Doge trading volume is still 4th or 5th i think
LTC despite being dead is the second

p.s. nice list, it is short but contains most of the info needed

For each Alt/BTC, I pulled data from lots of different exchanges. For each day, if Alt/BTC is traded on multiple exchanges, I take the exchange with the highest volume.
Not sure where you got your volume figures for BitShares.  
From coinmarketcap.com we see that most of the time volume is over $200,000 with occasional peaks above $500,000.

Volume so far today is
BTS 103,000 vs
NXT   21,000

I'm on the BTC38 website now. The 24 hour volume for BTS/BTC is 6.107 BTC / 134,659 BTS, which is tiny. For BTS/CNY, the volume is 6,746,522 BTS, which a lot more.

In my original volume analysis, I only looked at the volume of Alt/BTC and converted it to USD. Should I have also considered the Alt/Fiat volume?

Why is the BTS/CNY volume so much more than BTS/BTC? I would trade BTS for BTC or maybe for USD. Is trading it for CNY make sense? How do you get the CNY off the exchange (if you are not Chinese)? Why is the CNY volume so high? What's going on? I'd like to understand this more.
Hi,

I can only answer for Nxt, as it's the system I am most familiar with.

- I am not a huge believer in "first mover advantage". It also means you get most of the flack, because chances are you are also the first mover on problems.
- Yes, to forge, you need to have your account (brainwallet) unlocked
- I'm interested in this, too. I'm an old-timer in Nxt, so probably have a lot of blind spots here that should be much more obvious to newcomers.
- I commissioned this chart a few weeks ago, and it's at least checked by the Bitshares community, too. Other communities are welcome to critique, but it seems mostly accurate: http://i.cubeupload.com/J02n9J.jpg

As to the "value proposition": one of the large advantages of Nxt is that it supports a host of transaction types (standard coin transactions, data transfer, "alias" transactions, colored coins etc) that can be used in combination with each other to create entire systems. Taken by themselves they are useful, but the true power lies in being able to use them by easy API calls, so they can be integrated into websites, 3rd party apps etc.

What also appeals to me is that it is not dependent on a 3rd party blockchain, but is self-contained.

I'll note that as a "+1" on the list. Though I'm not completely sure that doing everything at once is the winning strategy. Only time will tell.
I really love Gemz, for the first time i have the feeling we have finally something which we can share and explain easily to others and especially the barrier of getting users into the network is broken because its ease of use and practical purposes, everything just makes sense. At this moment i don't really care about other coins, just Bitcoin and Gemz cover what i need as an average user.

Did GEMZ just start trading on Jan 10? One criteria for my list was that a coin has traded for more than 200 days. Until then, I consider it to be really unproven.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Darkcoin's masternodes are it's biggest points of failure, so Monero's ringsignatures wins.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
and XMR is also performing good they recently raised $30M for their project

We...did...? I don't remember raising a cent, last I recall we are significantly behind on donations:)
legendary
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
i think dark and XRP are next after bitcoin, with some innovation and new technology behind them
dark is good because of anonymity and limited supply using DGW
and XMR is also performing good they recently raised $30M for their project
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
what is your reference for trade volumes?

Doge trading volume is still 4th or 5th i think
LTC despite being dead is the second

p.s. nice list, it is short but contains most of the info needed
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
I was drawn to Nxt because of it's ambitious development road map (nxttechnologytree.com). Another reason I invested was because of the founder BCNext. He released the coin for 21BTC, which was just a symbolic # for him.  He was not about profit and thus his plans for distribution were limited.  People often criticize Nxt because of limited distribution, but to me this was one of the only "fair" distributions in crypto.  Nxt didn't have hundreds of BTC raised for marketing and development.  So it's growth was completely natural, much like BTC.
Activity: 706
Merit: 500
https://twitter.com/CryptoTrout
monero has a decent name but i dont think it will last
Pages:
Jump to: