Pages:
Author

Topic: The war on drugs killed my daughter - page 2. (Read 2733 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
June 27, 2014, 02:27:08 PM
Ok, so you legalize, control % of purity, and they still take too much, because they can pay less, for a product, that are less pure, and they overdose, because they took too much in quantity {Who counts, when you stoned out of your head?}

People overdose on prescription drugs every day, they simply take more, than what was prescribed. {And they buy it on the black market, not from a pharmacy}

Or they mix it with other substances, that make it lethal, like alcohol.

No way to stop it, but to ban it, and stop people from killing themselves. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinism
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074
June 27, 2014, 02:05:55 PM
Ok, so you legalize, control % of purity, and they still take too much, because they can pay less, for a product, that are less pure, and they overdose, because they took too much in quantity {Who counts, when you stoned out of your head?}

People overdose on prescription drugs every day, they simply take more, than what was prescribed. {And they buy it on the black market, not from a pharmacy}

Or they mix it with other substances, that make it lethal, like alcohol.

No way to stop it, but to ban it, and stop people from killing themselves. 
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
June 27, 2014, 01:29:46 PM
If drugs were legalized, I doubt very much that 15 year old would be able to get them legally. Those regarded as adults, eg 18 plus, might be able to obtain them, but in limited quantities. People would still resort to illegal methods. There would still be a huge criminal drug industry. There would still be quality control issues. But I expect legalization would increase greatly the amount of drug use. Would that be progress?
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!
June 27, 2014, 01:06:03 PM
The legalization of heroin would be a massive step forward in dealing with both public health problems and crime.The chances of that happening in the lifetime of anyone posting here are unfortunately minimal.
Not sure if sarcastic...

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/themes/harm-reduction/consumption-rooms

I still don't personally approve but to each their own
I've heard about this approach. I've heard of companies providing clean save needles and bongs, and providing a place to safely use drugs
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
June 27, 2014, 12:50:48 PM
You would have better luck giving up on the "war on drugs" and treating it as a health issue rather than a criminal issue. What doesn't make much sense to me is that marijuana is illegal but, if you want a pack of cigarettes, you just have to be at least 18 or be friends with somebody who is. Just as many people ruin their lives through alcoholism as through illegal drugs if not more people, and America had proved to my satisfaction that prohibition doesn't work. It just led to the widespread production of bootlegged moonshine. If you take the money out of the equation by making drugs legal, the illegal activity and the sheer number of people in jail associated with it will probably dry up.
Activity: 462
June 27, 2014, 12:43:46 PM
The so-called "war on drugs" is long lost. Our prisons are full with people who resort to crime in order to feed their habits - as well as dealers and drug mules who serve as the foot soldiers for what is a truly global business. The average cost of each prison place to the taxpayer is around £40,000 per prisoner per year.
Activity: 350
June 27, 2014, 12:32:37 PM
The solution she is proposing is nonsensical. Her daughter would have bought drugs illegally from a dealer anyway as she would be under the legal age to buy regulated drugs just as she would be under the age to legally buy alcohol.
legendary
June 27, 2014, 12:00:38 PM
The legalization of heroin would be a massive step forward in dealing with both public health problems and crime.The chances of that happening in the lifetime of anyone posting here are unfortunately minimal.
Not sure if sarcastic...

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/themes/harm-reduction/consumption-rooms

I still don't personally approve but to each their own
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 1254
Thread-puller extraordinaire
June 27, 2014, 11:58:56 AM
I really don't understand how her daughter could have researched MDMA and thought it would be a good idea to take 500 mg(!!!) at ONCE.

The 'standard' recreational dose for MDMA is <>120mg so I would be wanting to know where she 'researched' it that gave her the idea 500mg was ok.

With regards to the neurotoxicity citation links, can you provide any that don't cite Ricaurte? Most of his research has since been discredited but that didn't stop him being used as an expert government spokesperson and advisor for why MDMA should be banned thirty years ago, as well as being the go-to citation for subsequent 'MDMA is neurotoxic, therefore . . .' fallacious reasoning in research papers since then.

Drug use should be a health issue, not a criminal one.  Criminal behaviours are criminal whether high or sober and should be dealt with as such. Non-criminal behaviour, namely, the self-administration of psychoactive substances should only be dealt with through social support systems, where necessary, not incarceration and punishment.
June 27, 2014, 11:55:41 AM
Not sure if sarcastic...
Activity: 364
June 27, 2014, 11:51:42 AM
Activity: 490
Merit: 280
June 27, 2014, 11:50:40 AM
I feel for the mother in this case. And I definitely think the war on drugs is a not only a joke, but a travesty. But this doesn't seem to support her point very much. She says her daughter meticulously researched and purchased 91% pure MDMA. She made a conscious decision to take the drug even after researching(and failing miserably at it I might add). Legalization would not have prevented this. If anything it's an argument for the other side of the debate.

I really don't understand how her daughter could have researched MDMA and thought it would be a good idea to take 500 mg(!!!) at ONCE. Spread out over a long period of time would be different(but still a lot, but very, very likely to be completely safe). But to take that amount at once is insane, and I don't understand how she could have researched it and come to the conclusion that it was safe.
June 27, 2014, 11:47:51 AM
Honestly I think this "war on drugs" is complete bullshit. I don't give a crap about gangsters in detroit taking drugs and ruining their lives, that's their problem and their choice. I don't care about some college kids smoking some marijuana. The fact that we spend billions on this war on drugs, and jailing these people is outrageous. Its your own choice to be taking these drugs.
legendary
June 27, 2014, 11:47:16 AM
There is no such thing as 91% pure MDMA.  MDMA can only be synthesized to a maximum of 84%.

Our forum idiot would disagree with you.  He believes everything does exist, including 91% pure MDMA.

Not on this planet.  Go ahead and prove me wrong, that would be awesome.
If you google it it can really have max purity of 84%  Roll Eyes

I think Vod is saying what our local forum idiot would say, not him.
legendary
Activity: 966
June 27, 2014, 11:43:20 AM
There is no such thing as 91% pure MDMA.  MDMA can only be synthesized to a maximum of 84%.

Our forum idiot would disagree with you.  He believes everything does exist, including 91% pure MDMA.

If you google it it can really have max purity of 84%  Roll Eyes
legendary
June 27, 2014, 11:41:09 AM
EDIT:
my guess is that pure mdma automatically destabilizes and equilibrates down to 84%. either way, mdma belongs to the set of drugs people take for fun that are actually neurotoxic
Citation please.

first bit I do not know, I said I guessed

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=mdma+excitotoxicity&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C15
it does not help that mdma bought on the street more often than not is not primarily mdma

fun story: http://www.kissmyangeles.com/view/story/finding_molly
In the wake of Electric Zoo being canceled on its final day due to some unfortunate drug overdoses, I thought it was time someone from within the music business spoke up. Unfortunately, most people in the music business are devoid of swirling, spherical sacks of awesome, tucked between their legs. However, since I officially left the music business last Tuesday, I have no qualms about airing my former dirty laundry. The business of Electronic Dance Music, colloquially known as EDM, has a huge problem. People are dropping dead like flies. The following essay isn't a smoking gun; it's a fucking nuclear onslaught.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 1254
Thread-puller extraordinaire
June 27, 2014, 11:38:45 AM
Same as the Leah betts issue so many years ago this is just a parent avoiding the issue that their kid made a bad choice and it cost them their life!

This is not the same as the Leah Betts case, as she died from water intoxication because she had heard that people had been collapsing on MDMA because they were not drinking enough water. So she drank too much in an effort to do the right thing.

Please note, by the way, the article discusses the purity of the 'Ecstasy' she took, not MDMA. 'Ecstasy' is the street name for a pill which may contain any amount of MDMA, or none at all, along with any other number of substances as filler or 'cut'.

Both of the above girls died of ignorance, not bad choices. They were misinformed and had limited exposure to drug education, as opposed to indoctrination. Particularly the common-use illicit-drug language that implies safety through consensus (everybody does it so it's ok), as in double-dropping, triple-dropping, namely, taking two or three tablets of 'Ecstasy' at a time.

The failed, trillion-dollar, 'War on Drugs' also includes a war on objective information about drugs. Remember kids, just say 'No', because that's all you need to know. Apparently.

EDIT:
my guess is that pure mdma automatically destabilizes and equilibrates down to 84%. either way, mdma belongs to the set of drugs people take for fun that are actually neurotoxic
Citation please.

legendary
June 27, 2014, 11:29:00 AM

legendary
Activity: 1722
June 27, 2014, 10:50:58 AM
Same as the Leah betts issue so many years ago this is just a parent avoiding the issue that their kid made a bad choice and it cost them their life! Sad as it is pointing fingers and claiming the government was responsible for her daughters purchase and use of illegal narcotics is like blaming the government if your kid decides to drive at 120 mph and hits a tree, makes no sense it's just a bad decision! At least she has the profits from her book though.......

I didn't know kids were perfect little robots you could control 100%.
Activity: 994
Merit: 441
June 27, 2014, 10:46:08 AM
Same as the Leah betts issue so many years ago this is just a parent avoiding the issue that their kid made a bad choice and it cost them their life! Sad as it is pointing fingers and claiming the government was responsible for her daughters purchase and use of illegal narcotics is like blaming the government if your kid decides to drive at 120 mph and hits a tree, makes no sense it's just a bad decision! At least she has the profits from her book though.......
Pages:
Jump to: