Pages:
Author

Topic: [The Wasp] 28nm ASIC Miner Open Hardware Development Project - page 4. (Read 35056 times)

Activity: 63
Merit: 10
Bitcoin News-Reviews
Tell me exactly what you need and I will place an article on our website. mentaso.com
If its really needed, I can also add a banner on our pages for you.

Good work!
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
This is one hell of a project! As one looking for bladed mining solutions currently, I will be watching this intently. Even better that you plan to open the design specs to the community in the true spirit of this industry.

It will be awesome to watch how many derivative Hives and Wasps come out of this too. Awesome work Bicknellski and crew Cool

Thank-you.

The group we have is certainly one to watch. Personally I am just a hobbyist and teacher by trade but the team that has come together is really good. I mean really good. When this is released people are going to be gobsmacked.
How to get involved? Keen hobbyist looking to get involved

Drop me an email address and I will add you to the project pages. Standing meetings.

Management Team Meets Fridays
Canberra, Australia 2000 ACT (GMT +11)

Design Team Meets Saturdays
Seattle, USA 1800 PST (-8 GMT)

WPC Mining Pool Development Team Meets Fridays
Jakarta, Indonesia 1200 WIB (+7 GMT)
Activity: 60
I will purchase one.
Activity: 798
www.DonateMedia.org
This is one hell of a project! As one looking for bladed mining solutions currently, I will be watching this intently. Even better that you plan to open the design specs to the community in the true spirit of this industry.

It will be awesome to watch how many derivative Hives and Wasps come out of this too. Awesome work Bicknellski and crew Cool
Activity: 258
Merit: 250
Does one who is from the wasp project licensed Manufacturer will get the schematics from the pcb with finished gerber files for the manufacturers?
I think this would be necessary so to get more manufacturer in the boat, because not everybody has the knowledge to design pcb.

This is an open source hardware project. All the gerbers and bom will be released to all, and anyone can make their own Wasps and Hives.

We do want fabricators, diy builders and users to license with us so we can provide support for troubleshooting the design, software as well as  firmware updates. The design will help the collective recoup some of the substantial investment of our time and capital while we bring these various Wasps to prototype and finally to production. We welcome people to join the collective and support the project but really anyone out there who is interested in the designs can build this. As part of our design we layering in a number of features including a pretty robust License Enforcement Subsystem. This subsystem's responsibility is to use the device certificate and keys to ensure that the Wasp is properly licensed for its firmware. If anyone is keen on learning more about licensing you can contact me via email or join the group and join in the discussion.

Currently we have had interest from several people in the community who have already provided other types of mining rigs but we are also interested  in supporting smaller efforts and possibly some of our collective members will want to own some Wasps and Hives after all most of us are keen on hobbyists at heart even if a few of the people in the collective have advanced degrees and have a lifetime of experience in electronics and robotics.
Thank you Bicknellski Smiley
Glad that im also in this project. Looking really forward, exiting project wich will the Community Push further!
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
How to get involved? Keen hobbyist looking to get involved
What else is needed on this project?

Where to start?

That is a great question and best answered in the Zoho Project page as there are quite a few items directly in need of immediate attention and we welcome other EEs and Software and Firmware designers to join us. There is a growing list of documents that outline what is required so drop me an email or PM and I can let you into the Project page for a look.

Current Work is focused on a BitFury and Avalon V1 and V2 Wasp prototypes to provide us a baseline for 28nm chips in the form of the A1 and Mininon Wasps in December and February. We are likely to have some working prototype before the New Year and likely mid December. I will post more as I get more information on that.
Does one who is from the wasp project licensed Manufacturer will get the schematics from the pcb with finished gerber files for the manufacturers?
I think this would be necessary so to get more manufacturer in the boat, because not everybody has the knowledge to design pcb.

This is an open source hardware project. All the gerbers and bom will be released to all, and anyone can make their own Wasps and Hives.

We do want fabricators, diy builders and users to license with us so we can provide support for troubleshooting the design, software as well as  firmware updates. The design will help the collective recoup some of the substantial investment of our time and capital while we bring these various Wasps to prototype and finally to production. We welcome people to join the collective and support the project but really anyone out there who is interested in the designs can build this. As part of our design we layering in a number of features including a pretty robust License Enforcement Subsystem. This subsystem's responsibility is to use the device certificate and keys to ensure that the Wasp is properly licensed for its firmware. If anyone is keen on learning more about licensing you can contact me via email or join the group and join in the discussion.

Currently we have had interest from several people in the community who have already provided other types of mining rigs but we are also interested  in supporting smaller efforts and possibly some of our collective members will want to own some Wasps and Hives after all most of us are keen on hobbyists at heart even if a few of the people in the collective have advanced degrees and have a lifetime of experience in electronics and robotics.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
What else is needed on this project?
Activity: 258
Merit: 250
Don't forget a wasp for this chip  http://alpha-t.net/product/scrypt-asic-miner/    A Litecoin (Scrypt)  wasp would be awesome. I would love to be involved in anything i can do to help the project. Testing would be cool too. I live in chapel hill, nc  right in the research triangle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle home of redhat and more tech cos. Also I would fall into the hobbyist category  

We haven't "forgotten" we just need the chip specs, chips and one of the half a dozen EE's in the collective, or a new EE keen on scrypt to join us and then go mental on the design based off our existing templates. Also we already discussed plans for scrypt hashing Wasps as evidenced in the following page in our project. Ideally we would love to see our Hive mining both Sha256 and Scrypt at the same time.

Code:
Wasp Controller and Maintenance Software

Summary

The Wasp Project Collective Wasps are self-contained hashing blades utilizing various hashing ASICs, and adapting each
of them to a single unified power, command, and control structure. Several programs residing on the controlling PC or
embedded computer interact with the Wasps through the common protocols for:

+ Mining eCoins, not limited to BTC
+ Testing and configuring the Wasps, both individually and "Collectively" (of course )
+ Performing in-place firmware patching or upgrading.
+ Purchasing and managing licenses for the Wasps
+ Debugging firmware on the Wasps, while running one of the above programs in parallel.

Specific Programs:

Mining Controller

The primary function of the Wasp is to mine eCoins. A standard miner such as cgminer or bfgminer can manage Wasps
of any variant that supports double-SHA256 hashing. In the future we expect to also simultaneously handle SCRYPT
Wasps, with a second mining controller running in parallel, using the same driver for both mining programs. Since the
Wasps self-identify, mining programs can determine which of the resident Wasps's endpoints can support the type of
mining the program was configured for, and only connect to those endpoints, leaving the others available for mining
programs with different configurations.

Each Wasp is designed within the overarching project so there could actually be a team we put together now to run with the Scrypt hashing Wasp. All we need are keen people to push it forward. Do you want to help us develop the first Scrypt Alpha-T Wasp? PM or Email me and I can add you to the project page. If you want to see more documentation for Wasps and Hives and the current state of the prototype and even discuss that with our EE's then being a member is a good option.
Activity: 114
No more Crypto in this world
Don't forget a wasp for this chip  http://alpha-t.net/product/scrypt-asic-miner/    A Litecoin (Scrypt)  wasp would be awesome. I would love to be involved in anything i can do to help the project. Testing would be cool too. I live in chapel hill, nc  right in the research triangle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle home of redhat and more tech cos. Also I would fall into the hobbyist category 
Looking forward to seeing what you guys put together - I'm no engineer so I'll stay out of this conversation.

We need everyone in ... engineers, and hobbyists all are welcome.

Activity: 163
Merit: 100
Looking forward to seeing what you guys put together - I'm no engineer so I'll stay out of this conversation.
Just finished a short formative meeting about a new project for the collective.

The Wasp Project Collective Mining Pool

WPC Mining Pool Development Team Meets this Friday the 29th November
Jakarta, Indonesia 1200 WIB (+7 GMT)

We should have an operational pool ready by December 7th, 2013.

The meeting will provide an overview for the shares and costs involved and key members involved in the oversight of the pool hardware and software.

---

Interested in working on our collective mining pool? Drop me a PM or Email to be added to the Zoho Project page.

Summary

The Wasp Project Collective Wasps are self-contained hashing blades utilizing various hashing ASICs, and adapting each of them to a single unified power, command, and control structure. Several programs residing on the controlling PC or embedded computer interact with the Wasps through the common protocols for:

+ Mining eCoins, not limited to BTC
+ Testing and configuring the Wasps, both individually and "Collectively" (of course )
+ Performing in-place firmware patching or upgrading.
+ Purchasing and managing licenses for the Wasps
+ Debugging firmware on the Wasps, while running one of the above programs in parallel.

Come join us and help develop some truly disruptive innovations in mining hardware as well as being part of a dynamic SHIFT in the DIY / Open Hardware community. 40+ members and growing and many are software and hardware engineers. We are building a better community with this project and we need your help. To see more on our Wasp Controller and Maintenance Software drop me an email or a PM to get added to our Zoho Project page.
From the last EE meeting potential prototype using BitFury Wasps.

*  32 chips per Wasp.
*  8 Wasps per Hive.
*  +/- 588 Gh/s. (2.3 gh/s per chip)
*  Prototype likely hashing in December.
*  Production could start early January.
*  We are currently reaching out to the community for those who might be interested in the BitFury versions as well as A1 and Minions.

Other notes.

* A1 / Minion designs for Wasps will be a very short turnaround based on rework of the BitFury / Avalon Wasp configurations.
* Remote hot patches for firmware will be available.
* Remote diagnostics on the hardware will be available.
* VPN to the prototype boards will be available for Firmware design and testing live for members of the design team.
* First 3D render on the Bitfury Wasp was released internally at the meeting and it was great to visualize the Wasps for the first time.

It was certainly an informative meeting and as always the meeting was recorded so members can listen to the full meeting in the coming days once it has been uploaded.

From our ever growing document pages on the Zoho Project you can see that this Open Source project is really trying to bring some much needed conveniences to miners.

Wasp Firmware Patching and Upgrading

PatchPanel is another snap-in based utility intended to manage Wasp firmware and hot-patch state. As such, it uses many of the snap-ins from CDMpanel, in order to identify, isolate, read status, and install overlays on the selected Wasp (no batch mode is proposed at this time, though manufacturing might need such a program). It has unique snap-ins for querying status of patches and firmware releases, and for installing new versions of each. It can also revert hot-patches and remove them from the program-FLASH image.

Wasp Remote Debugger

Wasp's remote debugging facility is provided by Atmel's (the MCU manufacturer's) remote debugger, with the assistance of on-board ADB support through its own dedicated set of endpoints. Remote debugging is enabled by flags in the opaque data block downloaded when the Wasp is started, after it identifies itself and its capabilities.
What is a HIVE?

The Hive - A Home for Wasps

Summary

The Hive is a collection of small and large circuit boards whose purpose is to provide power, as well as command, control, and testing signals to one or more Wasps.

Objectives:

+ Develop a line of products that span the realm of installations ranging from the home-user's single blade to oil-immersed racks of industrial hashing systems, making trade offs of cost versus features to fully address both ends of this range.

+ Provide power and communication between one or more Wasp blades and the linux-based controller which runs the mining program.

+ Allow for hot-plugging of Wasps of any type into the same backplane, providing automatic overload prevention - new Wasps will not be enabled unless the Hive can provide sufficient power.

+ Provide a range of backplanes, from a simple, single-Wasp connector to a rackable backplane for multiple (8-10) Wasps.

+ Provide connectors for multiple, redundant, and hot-pluggable power supplies to supply power to a multi-blade stack, or to a rack, self-adjusting as the blades are plugged in.

+ Provide manual controls for system power-on/off, audible and visual feedback for individual blade readiness/status, and control of individual blade power feed.

Features:

Single board Hive

+ Has sockets for a standard ATX power supply - 24-pin motherboard connector plus two, 6-pin PCIe 12V connectors.

+ Has push-on/push-off button for power control.

+ Has power-on indicator LED for each of 3.3V, 5V, 12V, and 5Vsb.

+ Has standard USB B-receptacle for cabling to controlling computer.

Stacked-board Hive

+ Accepts any mixture of Wasp implementations, in any number of arbitrarily provisioned slots with no manual configuration required.

+ Has sockets for a standard ATX power supply - 24-pin motherboard connector plus two, 6-pin PCIe 12V connectors.

+ Has push-on/push-off button for power control.

+ Has standard USB B-receptacle for cabling to controlling computer.

Rack-mounted Hive

+ Has connectors for a local control panel with buttons and display.

+ Accepts any mixture of Wasp implementations, in any number of arbitrarily provisioned slots with no manual configuration required.

+ Has sockets for a standard ATX power supply - 24-pin motherboard connector plus six, 6-pin PCIe 12V connectors.

+ Has one or more high-power edge connectors for server-style pluggable 12V-only power supplies.

+ Has buttons for system power control and reset, with operation similar to standard PC.

+ Has mechanical position and connectors for mounting a Raspberry-Pi (R-Pi) or Beagle Board Black (BBB) controlling computer, as well as connectors for USB and power so that those controllers can be attached from remote mountings.

+ Has a position for audible-feedback "speaker" (piezo transducer) to be plugged into.

+ Provides circuits for automatic slaving of server power supply(s) to the PC controls, providing single-point manual control of all system power.

+ Provides individual manual enable/disable controls for each slave supply.

+ Provides individual, software assisted enables for each Wasp slot's power, with visual indicators of status.

+ Provides fully automated Manufacturing Acceptance Test capability.

+ Provides significant, partially automated Operational Diagnostic Test capability.

------------

Interested in working on the HIVE? Come join The Wasp Project Collective today!

Pages:
Jump to: