Pages:
Author

Topic: The way US government can crack down Silk Road, Tor and Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 13619 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
If you want weapons in USA you just go in a shop and buy whatever you want...

Then the question is: who needs overpriced guns from SR when normal people can buy guns in the US freely?
It's for ppl not in the US i suppose.
Activity: 341
Merit: 250
right now i think we're in a gray zone with the us govt.  I think they are hoping we just go away/self destruct.   if they started cracking down on silkroad/bitcoin users they would validate bitcoin as a viable currency and silk road as an easy way to score drugs and guns . Not to mention all the free press bitcoin and silkroad would get.  now if more ppl start using silkroad/bitcoin  that will probably change.   I definately agree that there are probably feds with accounts on silkroad, mostly to gather information.  I mean i'd love to believe that the united states would be above selling guns to random ppl for information/political gain but em, fast and furious comes to mind. So the probability that there is a seller with good feedback out there making a list of buyers for uncle sam is very high imo.  
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

Then the question is: who needs overpriced guns from SR when normal people can buy guns in the US freely?
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029
Death to enemies!
I did not see any weapon on SR that can be really useful to terrorist. Most terrorists already have easy and cheap access to wide assortment to assault rifles. Don't know how useful they will find overpriced Glock or Beretta in US-specific calibers.

OK, go for it, try destroy Tor, Bitcoin. Be sure to destroy the copy of Bitcoin and Tor source code located on my PC and thousands of another user's PC.
legendary
Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001
Silk Road doesn't sell drugs or guns.
legendary
1. Silk Road sells guns.
2. Guns could be used by terrorists.
3. Use that as an excuse to apply NDAA and detain random Bitcoin and Tor users.
4. Profit!

EDIT: To elaborate second point: a government agency would be only required to present some evidence that a gun sold by Silk Road ended up in hands of a terrorist.
Actually, for USA government, drugs are much worse than guns. Guns are fine in USA, am i right? With the emendment thing
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
I'm not really sure how drugs benefit society, maybe blowing off steam? Not that I have a problem with people who want to take drugs. But to suggest that drugs are cool, but guns are bad is silly. In my opinion.

Without drugs there wouldn't be any society http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoned_ape_theory#.22Stoned_Ape.22_theory_of_human_evolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entheogens
Activity: 154
Merit: 101
Bitcoin!
Terrorism is a major priority for the US government
I think you hit the nail on the head. Wink
Activity: 321
Bitbuy.nl!
Silk Road actually solves problems regarding to the drug industry for governments(no violence and higher quality drugs(lower risk to users) due to feedback).

That's not how they see it.

What makes you think so? I do think governments, especially the US government, are not rational in their decisions, but they aren't completely stupid as well. There is only one senator who caught some attention about this subject, but as far as we can see nothing has changed but SR being more well-known. I do think allowing guns to be sold is a bad way to go for SR, I hope they reconsider changing back to their former policy.

Also, not all US conservatives think the same about drugs, this judge has some great points and they should be heard more often:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6t1EM4Onao
Activity: 203
Merit: 100
Silk Road actually solves problems regarding to the drug industry for governments(no violence and higher quality drugs(lower risk to users) due to feedback).

That's not how they see it.
Activity: 321
Bitbuy.nl!
What guns? Silk Road mainly sells drugs, that is already illegal, and apparently already enough reason to try to shutdown it and bitcoin, according to some polititions. They don't even have to care about guns.

Priorities?? Illegal activities are happening every second. Terrorism is a major priority for the US government, while Silk Road actually solves problems regarding to the drug industry for governments(no violence and higher quality drugs(lower risk to users) due to feedback).
Activity: 203
Merit: 100
What guns? Silk Road mainly sells drugs, that is already illegal, and apparently already enough reason to try to shutdown it and bitcoin, according to some polititions. They don't even have to care about guns.
Activity: 269
Hitting random bitcoin users would be pretty lol. Are they going to admit it's some random bitcoin or TOR user?
It won't be a conspiracy scheme, just bureaucrats who would  honestly try to do their job better.

Hope people figure it out and get scared? Maybe messing with high profile users would matter some, but does that scare people really?
I think that's a valid point. It all depends on how deep US will be. If only one or two people detained at any given moment, then you right, it won't matter much, but US democracy is in downfall and several years from now the scenario could become possible.
Activity: 266
The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame
my main concern was that jail doesnt have internet, so no TOR, thus, no silk road, THUS, no feedback that hey, guy x is a FED!!!! lol
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
Can you leave feedback if you go to jail? Shocked

Not positive feedback...

But seriously the gov can build up a good reputation too. Not that I think they are yet, and even when they do it'll probably be to watch and learn mostly.

Hitting random bitcoin users would be pretty lol. Are they going to admit it's some random bitcoin or TOR user? Hope people figure it out and get scared? Maybe messing with high profile users would matter some, but does that scare people really?
Activity: 266
The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame
Can you leave feedback if you go to jail? Shocked
Not that it negates anything said here, but I suspect anyone selling guns on silk road is the government itself.  A trap.

Not possible, sellers on Silk Road have ratings much like eBuy, and customers can leave comments about transactions.
Activity: 462
Not that it negates anything said here, but I suspect anyone selling guns on silk road is the government itself.  A trap.
1. Silk Road sells guns.
3. Use that as an excuse to apply NDAA and detain random Bitcoin and Tor users.
4. Profit!

1. Walmart sells guns.
3. Terrorists could be used as cashiers at Walmart.
4. Take harmonica lessons.
5. Screw profit.

Unlike Silk Road, legal sellers comply with government regulations.

Like the 2nd amendment? Fat chance.

It will only require one claim that a gun sold by Silk Road ended up in hands of a terrorist. And by the way, NDAA directly violates 6th amendment, so appeal to constitution worth nothing.
Pages:
Jump to: