Pages:
Author

Topic: The world of sport reacts to the Russian invasion of Ukraine - page 2. (Read 900 times)

Activity: 1428
Merit: 931
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!
The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) adopts further measures against Russia and Belarus.

As part of the latest sanctions against Russia's sports program following Putin's invasion of Ukraine, the International Gymnastics Federation has announced an indefinite ban on Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials. All FIG events scheduled for Russia and Belarus will be canceled, and neither country will be awarded a new event.

Quote from: gymnastics.sport
The FIG would like to stress that these exceptional and emergency measures are decided and issued in view of the above-mentioned extraordinary circumstances. They constitute preventive measures aiming at preserving the integrity of Gymnastics, the safety and integrity of members and all athletes and participants, and at fighting against all forms of violence and of sports injustice.

Russian and Belarusian nationals who are members of the FIG Executive Committee or of FIG technical committees are not affected by this measure when acting in their capacity as FIG Authorities.

The EC will continue to monitor the situation closely and may further adapt these exceptional measures according to future developments.
Activity: 1386
Merit: 250
1XBit.com
It is very difficult to say whether the sanctions are necessary or not, because all this time we have seen slogans not to mix politics with sports, but now various sports authorities are starting to punish athletes who are actually not related to what Putin has been doing so far, I think the sports authorities should be able to revise the sanctions decision they are giving now, because it's tantamount to sports authorities trying to kill the careers of these sports athletes from rusian, I believe that actually all Russian athletes do not approve of war happening.
Activity: 2394
Merit: 198
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
snip
If everyone wants to change, they will unite and probably the revolution can happen in their country, especially if many people are already suffering.
am not sure if Russian can take that chance to fight against their government because they knew how their president handles cases like this and surely they will face consequences .
If the war could end, the Russian government would recalculate their resources and the potential they still have so they know what to do.
i think that is how every war ends , then yes it is to happen.
But everything will change and not only the people but the elites will also change according to the situation and conditions that occur in the country.
they will only go with the flow mate and that's what needs to happen.
It will only worsen if the Russian government also loses a lot of resources that can't run well.
this is war, resources will surely drops and spend in not so best interest .
Activity: 756
Merit: 629
A country with resources can last much longer in isolation than a country that has technology but no resources. Naturally, sanctions will lead to a drop in living standards, but the elite have so much money that they will have enough for several generations. The West expects that by lowering the standard of living they will achieve a change of regime in Russia, but they do not take into account that the decision to impose sanctions is made by them. Consequently, the lives of Russian citizens are getting worse because of these decisions. In my opinion, such situations force the people to unite rather than stage a revolution.

It seems to me that you are too optimistic because you think that civilized countries are worried about the change of people who seized power in Russia and therefore impose these sanctions. In fact, everything is worse (for the Russians) - this is isolation. Same as for North Korea or Cuba. Who cares who's in power there? Nobody. Who cares how people survive there? Nobody. The main thing is that no problems should come out of these countries. Nobody cares about the rest. Using nuclear blackmail, North Korea regularly receives some food and humanitarian aid, and is generally isolated. This path awaits Russia.
Taking into account the fact that isolation also applies to sports, we will see in the near future how all Russian athletes who are at least something in the international arena will change their citizenship.
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!
Anyway, back to the topic ...

The International Swimming Federation (FINA) announced that athletes from Russia and Belarus will be able to compete as neutral athletes.

Quote from: fina.org
Until further notice, no athlete or Aquatics official from Russia or Belarus be allowed to take part under the name of Russia or Belarus. Russian or Belarusian nationals, be it as individuals or teams, should be accepted only as neutral athletes or neutral teams. No national symbols, colours, flags should be displayed or anthems should be played, in international Aquatics events which are not already part of the respective World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) sanctions for Russia.

FINA remains deeply concerned about the impact of the war on the aquatics community and the wider population of Ukraine. FINA will continue to carefully monitor the grave situation and make further decisions as appropriate.

Furthermore, the International Swimming Federation has withdrawn the FINA Order awarded to Russian President Putin because of the invasion of Ukraine.

World Taekwondo announces that President Putin's aggression against the Ukraine goes against the organization's motto, "Peace Is More Precious Than Triumph." Putin was stripped of his World Taekwondo black belt because of this.

In a statement, governing body said: "World Taekwondo strongly condemns the brutal attacks on innocent lives in Ukraine, which go against the World Taekwondo vision of 'Peace is More Precious than Triumph' and the World Taekwondo values of respect and tolerance.
In this regard, World Taekwondo has decided to withdraw the honorary 9th dan black belt conferred to Mr. Vladimir Putin in November 2013."

In addition, World Taekwondo said that no Russian or Belarusian flags or national anthems will be displayed at future events and that Russian athletes and officials will not be permitted to compete at World Taekwondo events until further notice.

The International Judo Federation (IJF) has suspended Vladimir Putin's status as Honorary President and ambassador following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Additionally, the International Judo Federation now cancels all judo competitions on the territory of the Russian Federation, providing the Russian athletes with an opportunity to compete only under the IJF flag, logo, and anthem.

Activity: 1204
Merit: 110
It is nice to see that the world unites to suppress Vladimir Putin and end his invasion to Ukraine. It seems that not only business but also sports which I think is business too but wouldn't that be enough to stop Putin in his invasion to Ukraine? I don't have any idea what will happened to Russia after this war ended? would they be able to get back to sports competitions or they will need to regain back the trust of the other countries before they can reenter the competitions again?

Putin can drag this war for a long time he is an arrogant dictator he will not accept defeat and in fact, he put the nuclear team on high alert, this is too risky we are fighting a mad man who can lead us to nuclear war, that is why countries do not want to directly engage against Russian they are only sending ammunitions and supplies so Ukrainian can keep up fighting Russia.
The super powers can do anything to anyone in particular if they are weak. We have seen this from our childhood. This planet has no place for the weak. Only the fit survive. Yesterday it was Iraq, Serya, Afghanistan today its Ukraine tomorrow it can be my country or your country. No-one knows how many such dreadful deaths we will see in the days to come. There is no end to it. We will all be making noise and one day we all will rest in peace.
But I believe in Karma too. If super powers can do anything so does Karma, Russian faced a down fall of 94% in 1998 in their economy and the government fell in a week. Today Russia faced a down fall of 98% which is worse than what they faced in 98. Let's see what Karma does to them. Sports is a medium to promote peace. But everything seem like beating the brush in air when political authorities have different agenda. 
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 2005
^

A country with resources can last much longer in isolation than a country that has technology but no resources. Naturally, sanctions will lead to a drop in living standards, but the elite have so much money that they will have enough for several generations. The West expects that by lowering the standard of living they will achieve a change of regime in Russia, but they do not take into account that the decision to impose sanctions is made by them. Consequently, the lives of Russian citizens are getting worse because of these decisions. In my opinion, such situations force the people to unite rather than stage a revolution.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2420
The only question is, how far do you want to go?

What would happen if Putin decides to end the war now? Would these sanctions by the sports associations also be reversed?

Until Putin changed his mind and solve the problem within talks. Unfortunately, that was unlikely to happen and Putin does even have a lot of plans to execute from now on. Yes, sanctions will be lifted especially to sports however Putin will face tons of violations under Human Rights.

I don't see Putin will end their invasion. I also don't see any pressure from Putin even there's a massive call to end the war.

Let's face the fact that will be a long-time war. Even though we don't like what happens to Russian athletes, what choice does the world have to slow down Putin?

Putin clearly voiced the goals of the special military operation and it seems to me that he and the people close to him do not care about all these sanctions. They will finish what they started. The sanctions imposed will affect the ordinary citizens of Russia to a greater extent than the elite. As I said before, they have enough money to survive any sanctions impact. Therefore, the EU countries and the USA should not expect the people to go against Putin, they will rather hate the authorities of the countries that impose sanctions aimed at destroying the economy of Russia.

Haven't the west seized trillions of Russian reserves recently? I am not sure if Russia has enough money to survive this. They got the oil and gas and somebody will indeed buy these from the Russians but it won't be the market price. No matter how you look at it, Russia is in a big trouble financially. Maybe they will survive but the life standards of an average Russian citizen will go down dramatically imo and it wasn't very high to begin with.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 2005

What would happen if Putin decides to end the war now? Would these sanctions by the sports associations also be reversed?

Until Putin changed his mind and solve the problem within talks. Unfortunately, that was unlikely to happen and Putin does even have a lot of plans to execute from now on. Yes, sanctions will be lifted especially to sports however Putin will face tons of violations under Human Rights.

I don't see Putin will end their invasion. I also don't see any pressure from Putin even there's a massive call to end the war.

Let's face the fact that will be a long-time war. Even though we don't like what happens to Russian athletes, what choice does the world have to slow down Putin?

Putin clearly voiced the goals of the special military operation and it seems to me that he and the people close to him do not care about all these sanctions. They will finish what they started. The sanctions imposed will affect the ordinary citizens of Russia to a greater extent than the elite. As I said before, they have enough money to survive any sanctions impact. Therefore, the EU countries and the USA should not expect the people to go against Putin, they will rather hate the authorities of the countries that impose sanctions aimed at destroying the economy of Russia.
Activity: 2870
Merit: 574
Ukraine is innocent here, it was the Russia that attacks them but not totally all the people there however they are still facing the consequences because of the actions of Putin. I don't think Putin will feel sad seeing the situation of his country or seeing his people struggle. That is why we think restrictions seems not right but we can't do anything about it.

On the other hand some companies don't want to put restrictions because they are only thinking about their business and they can lose some potential profit if they will do it. The ban for Russian athletes can be temporary but the efforts of them practicing and preparing is wasted because they can't compete anymore.
Yes, it's all because of Putin's actions and I think he will get a lot of criticism from people to stop his invasion immediately.
Perhaps Putin wants to conquer Ukraine as quickly as possible and not think about the fate of the affected people, especially his soldiers who are into war.
Many teams or athletes are affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine and do not know what will happen in the future.
It is one example that war can have a massive effect on a country and it seems that Putin has not thought about that yet.
Hopefully, this will end soon and with further negotiations, it is hoped that there will be peace talks between the two sides.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001
= jasad =
I think it's good that the sports world is standing up and protesting through statements and certain exclusions. The only question is, how far do you want to go? a lot of individual players are now being hit, who may also have financial problems as a result. You don't attack the government that way. But it also makes sense that if a few unions impose these sanctions, the rest will follow. What would happen if Putin decides to end the war now? Would these sanctions by the sports associations also be reversed?

From the looks of it, I think, Putin is not thinking of stopping the war. It is more on the opposite, going all out in this war. Sports is one of the industries that will suffer in this aggression. We will see what will happen in the next coming days, but there's no sign of slowing down from Russia's end. Putin is ready to sacrifice his people at all cost. That's the sad truth about this situation.
Russia not try to stop war and invasion to Ukraine exactly have punishment giving by Russian president to UEFA and FIFA after their team national country and Spartak Moscow banned in football competition, Putin have warning for FIFA and UEFA if his national country can participating on World Cup Qatar never hope will have World Cup tournament will begin on Qatar, I think looks serious with warning given by Russia president to FIFA if not unbanned national country on world cup.
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1065
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

Activity: 2212
Merit: 786
I normally see all Russian athletes showing their support for Ukraine, but there was an exceptional situation in chess. Top chess player Sergey Karjakin has expressed his support for Putin. Chess players are intelligent people, especially at a high level. I wonder what possesses him to write such a thing on twitter. Could play that he used to be a resident of Ukraine, he now seems to have Russian nationality. That could play into it, maybe he left the country there with a lot of fights. Otherwise you are not going to show your support for Putin for any reason.

Ah this is a famous issue in the chess world where Sergey Karjakin expressed his opinion about the war. Unfortunately, he supported the war and saw it as something that is positive to him- in which the whole chess community reacted against him. For the statements that he made, he was banned in participating in Norway Chess and he now faces an ethics case against him.

Fellow Russian GM Alexander Grischuk made a statement about the war in which he said that he supports 99% of the international conflicts of Russia, but he is totally against the unnecessary and chaotic war against Ukraine.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1643
Verified Bitcoin Hodler
I think that the world of sports has always been one of the firsts if not the very first to show solidarity in any situation and during any event. Its really a big part of what sports is about. Its about getting people together, showing humanity and discouraging inhumanity.

This is what the olympics are always about. Nobody cares about the medals, its about friendly competition and a strengthening of the bonds between countries. But this can go both ways. Currently the Russian people will feel the pang of being left out of something that everyone else is a part of. Something good. Something that would hurt to be left out of.

Economic sanctions do not have this human element.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 110
^ I am not on their side but I feel pity for them because they are innocent people and I don't know if they are even a pro-Putin which they are.
It seems there is discrimination against all Russian players and athletes because their country invaded Ukraine and now they are suffering too from what their country did. There is too many sports event that has been canceled or postponed, the gambling industry was been affected too.
Nevertheless, this is not the right.
I agree with you, the Russian sportsmen have not done anything wrong and yet they see reaction of everyone around. They should be allowed to play sports and people can send the message of peace through them. Russian would not admit that they have done anything wrong. They would have their own justifications for it. The world needs to find solution for this kind of invasions in coming days. There are threats of nuclear war as well. May we never see another Heroshima and Nagasaki again.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 109
It is nice to see that the world unites to suppress Vladimir Putin and end his invasion to Ukraine. It seems that not only business but also sports which I think is business too but wouldn't that be enough to stop Putin in his invasion to Ukraine? I don't have any idea what will happened to Russia after this war ended? would they be able to get back to sports competitions or they will need to regain back the trust of the other countries before they can reenter the competitions again?

Putin can drag this war for a long time he is an arrogant dictator he will not accept defeat and in fact, he put the nuclear team on high alert, this is too risky we are fighting a mad man who can lead us to nuclear war, that is why countries do not want to directly engage against Russian they are only sending ammunitions and supplies so Ukrainian can keep up fighting Russia.
The super powers can do anything to anyone in particular if they are weak. We have seen this from our childhood. This planet has no place for the weak. Only the fit survive. Yesterday it was Iraq, Serya, Afghanistan today its Ukraine tomorrow it can be my country or your country. No-one knows how many such dreadful deaths we will see in the days to come. There is no end to it. We will all be making noise and one day we all will rest in peace.
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!
Sad to see that one of the best boxer Vasily Lomachenko had to join army. This might end as his last "fight". War spares no one.

Same goes to Olexander Usyk.
<...>

Along with other well-known boxers, like Lomachenko and Usyk, former heavyweight world champions, the Klitschko brothers, have already been carrying weapons for days.

Vitali, the former WBC and WBO champion and current mayor of Kyiv, said he had no option but to join the fight against Russia. His brother, Wladimir, a former WBA, WBO and IBF champion, enlisted in Ukraine's reserve army last month, even before the war began.

As reported by The Times, both boxing legends in Ukraine are on a Putin's "kill list" with more than 400 Russian mercenaries operating in Kyiv on orders from the Kremlin to assassinate President Zelensky and his inner circle.
Activity: 2870
Merit: 612
It becomes funny already right when I heard about this because its close to sanctioning the pasionate athletes who are not involve in the government decision. Whats saidnl above that they are also excluding Belarus, India or Iran is really far stretched.

Nato is doing exactly what is done to them as if these NATO members weren't sanctioned themselves. Suprisingly, no Chinese atheletes excluded yet but they were just beaten on streets. These boycott an exclusions.comes from countries that have not experienced war for more than centuries.
Activity: 952
Merit: 105
Even we don't like the idea of banning Russian players, it's good that there's pressure for Vladimir Putin. Not all Russians want the war and something should hit Putin's head into calmness state. But I don't how those things will be solved as there are now more civilians killed in Ukraine because of a Russian invasion. It's not as easy as Putin will stop the invasion. How about those innocent people being killed?

Putin needs to be stopped. Russia loves peace, I'm sure about that.

I think that after the end of the war, in which Russia will lose (you cannot win a war against the whole world), it will pay huge reparations to Ukraine. The dead people cannot be returned, it is true, but the destruction will be paid for by Russia itself. I'm not saying that this will happen right tomorrow, perhaps the sanctions will destroy Russia in a few years, but I am sure that this will happen - all these crimes that the whole world has seen cannot be hidden or canceled.

Very right -but I disagree that Putin loves Peace, these super power will do anything to destroy peace. Resulting - kids will miss their dads and widows will moarn for their husbands for whole lives. Sports has always been used as a medium to promote peace. And
Along side the mentioned threads on the main page- I have heard in the local news channel that Formula1 has also canceled their contract with Russia's Grand Prix promoter.
May peace prevail!
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1899
Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform
Before the war in Ukraine, the Belarus government and Russia have been in good terms and that is why it is easy for this growing support against Ukraine. Yesterday ,the Belarus president visited Putin and was seen taking pictures together. This is why Zelensky initially rejected the idea of a peace talk in Belarus.

At the moment (for a couple of years already), Belarus is formally a state, but in fact it is another region of Russia that it has occupied after the 2020 protests in Belarus. Belarus exists on loans from Russia, Russian troops are stationed there (and attacking Ukraine from the territory of Belarus), and even most of the employees of the Belarusian propaganda media are Russians. This is bad news for Belarus, but it will share the responsibility with Russia for these war crimes.
Pages:
Jump to: