Pages:
Author

Topic: The YACoin Superfun Premine Thread - page 6. (Read 8971 times)

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
May 09, 2013, 04:50:52 PM
guess i'll better get a linux distro for any future coins before my 7950 arrives Smiley

Supposedly Linux isn't great at Scrypt, some have said to use Windows for that.

For example I can get 405 or so MHashes of SHA256 from a 5870, but fiddle with it all I want (using Fedora core 17) I don't seem to be able to get more than 255KHashes of Scrypt. Yet people claim one should get 1/1000 as many Scrypt hashes as SHA256 hashes out of one's GPUs.

-MarkM-

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
DTC unofficial team
May 09, 2013, 04:47:48 PM
I was mining with near 200 Xeon cores (13 servers), they were running Windows. when it was 1M coins total, I had 10K - 1% , it is really good for small cluster. My servers are in USA and I even couldn't open port ! so I don't think that windows clients are 2 times slower.
legendary
May 09, 2013, 04:45:36 PM
can we, as a community, create a coin that we all AGREE is fair terms?  like right from the get-go, a solution that works for all of us?

So far the fairest really seem to be the ones that even right now you can rake in lots of coins of using just a CPU or a single GPU.

They are fair because everyone has had years to mine them and thus everyone has had plenty of time to pick up pretty much however many coins they want.

Some of them have even been handed out free on the side to Bitcoin miners by merged mining pools, so even if the miners were too short sighted to care about the coins themselves their pool operator nonetheless gave them their fair share so that come the payoff the miners will not be  looking back saying "it is so unfair, all those years I could have picked these things up for almost nothing and now that everyone appreciates their value they are going to cost me a fortune to buy!"

-MarkM-
Activity: 347
May 09, 2013, 04:45:00 PM
tl;dr pretty much everyone running the Windows binaries from the onset was screwed.

Possible alternative, everyone that didn't immediately start figuring out how to port the scrypt chacha code and (relatively slowly changing) variable N to the cgminer GPU kernel were actually screwed from the onset regardless whether they were running Windows or Linux?  From experience running a substantial server farm mining YAC yesterday, and looking at the difficulty and block solving rate today, I'm pretty skeptical that CPU mining accounts for most of the apparent hash rate.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001
May 09, 2013, 04:39:54 PM
To be fair I made two separate posts querying what the starting difficulty would be in that topic and to my surprise not a single person responded or picked them up.

Everyone forgets the 'scam' claims in the run up to a coin launching and conveniently stop caring, because they hope they are going to get rich from it. As soon as they don't get rich, out come the pitchforks.

Activity: 347
May 09, 2013, 04:37:15 PM
I phucking knew that something was fishy from the begining and made a thread to document the orphan rate. Windows users had 90%+ orphan rate, linux users about 10-15%:

To be clear though, I immediately modified the client after I pulled it from git (8 hours past launch because I slept through it, grrr) to increase the maximum number of outbound connections, all 1560 servers had public IP's so inbound connections were possible, and all 1560 servers also had tweaks to the source so they all connecting with each other to form a large interconnected low-latency mesh within the Yacoin network.  Those factors probably significantly helped with my orphan rate.  Still, I was 8 hours late to the party and a single PC at the right time early on would've mined much more than I did.  But I still think it was probably a fair fight 8 hours in.
legendary
May 09, 2013, 04:35:09 PM
another scam, good job we have some smart people who can detect this kind of behaviour. Let's hope this does not make it to an exchange.

Someone should put out a decent cpu only coin asap  because ppl will keep yacoin going because they can mine it at the same time as gpu mined coins.

Look around for gosh sakes, there are still, and have always been, several chains you can mine very very nicely with even just a single-core CPU.

Look at BBQcoin now, it is now in the phase where all the people who mined it with CPUs for months or a year or more are getting paid handsomely, and meanwhile now that BBQcoin is too high difficulty for CPUs their CPUs are still mining any of several other coins that, just like BBQcoin had been for so long, they are glad the big miners are ignoring.

The payoff for a rig with GPUs and CPUs, with the CPUs mining low difficulty chains where CPUs can get lots of coins, has been much much higher for the CPUs than the GPUs. Those CPUs made more money than the GPUs.

The CPUs have turned out to be far more profitable than the GPUs because although in both cases there are only so many coins available per day, most of the chains the GPUs work on divide up those coins among more actual human beings on any given day than the chains the CPUs are working on.

So while you as a GPU miner might be one of a thousand or ten thousand or more miners divvying up the coins of a high difficulty chain, you as a CPU miner can often find chains where you are one of only a hundred or less people divvying up the coins on any particular day. (A lot of CPU miners seem to just pick up some number of coins of each chain that they feel is enough to give them a nice payoff when the chain comes back into the limelight, instead of dedicating cores long term like a person with a huge GPU farm would be likely to do if they bothered to put their GPU rigs' CPUs to work.)

So basically if your CPUs have not been raking in more money over the long term than your GPUs that is not due to lack of special anti-GPU hashing systems, it is simply due to your failure to put your CPUs to profitable work.

-MarkM-
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
May 09, 2013, 04:34:36 PM
Excellent conspiracy theories in this thread.  You guys continue to entertain me.  The reality is that you had to be there for the launch.  I was browsing the forums at 1AM PST and saw the launch of it, downloaded, and profited big time.  All you guys who were hours late and got caught out by the massive zerg rush can continue QQ'ing.

Well some of us WERE there for the launch... and it didn't launch Wink

--Tom
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
May 09, 2013, 04:32:48 PM
Also adding the addnode part from the first post on the official thread limited my connections to 8, and I didn't solve any blocks or get above 8 connections until I removed that code (after wasting 8 hours).

how do you remove this code?
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG
May 09, 2013, 04:27:35 PM
I usually wait for thread to reach 15-20 pages before downloading hoping some of zillion geeks here would already found out if there is something fishy.

Yeah the problem with that is that by page 2  99% of the coins have been hoovered up the gpu farms and the developer. Sad

It's same for me, I don't have any special mining equipment, I don't really mine so 2nd or 20th I can't get anything  Grin

lol well i do have 2 pc's with 7950 but it takes forever for me to get it set up and running, since it took me ages to realise i was not meant to be putting that yac command into cgminer, even when i found out it was meant for the windows cmd box i didnt know you had to cd to the directory of the prog before running it.

Anyway was fun learning, and people on this forum are quite cool they are pleased to give a hand to others.

After i found out what to do it was great starting to mine solo, until i was told my next issue was my latency would ensure no blocks being accepted.

House is for sale, moving to a place somewhere nearer a town or a place with decent internet connection. My top speed is 1-2mb line here and ping is pretty bad too.

I got 3 blocks of yacs after a day but then stopped mining when i jumped out of bed today to see all the blocks i must have mined over night, sadly .......not even 1 additional yac. Switched off the miner in disgust.

I did better on cnc, bobs pool was cool.  For now i'm just collecting lots of different coins. I like to have a selection. Even snagged a bitbar chunk or 2. That was cool.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
May 09, 2013, 04:24:25 PM
I remember when it was IXC and then I0C...
so... maybe a "Y0Coin" with fair and the same rules for Win/Linux from the beginning Wink
I vote on relaunch. Wink
YACoin start was really suspicious. Anyway the idea of coin for CPU miners looks attractive. So I say lets clone it, but make a fair one.

BTW. Y0Coin is maybe even better name than YAC. Like: Yo man, got some change? Grin
Activity: 770
Merit: 605
May 09, 2013, 04:22:41 PM
can we, as a community, create a coin that we all AGREE is fair terms?  like right from the get-go, a solution that works for all of us?

the fair term is premining, lol
legendary
Activity: 1232
May 09, 2013, 04:21:05 PM
At the end of the day, we will find out what happened.  Either a large group of small-time individuals mined coins OR a smaller group of superpowers got the coins.  Time will tell.

Actually, cannot this be determined by looking at the block chain?
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
May 09, 2013, 04:17:27 PM
I mined around 400 on win 7 with i5 3570k oc'ed to 4.5Ghz

I was even late to party and running it in a sandbox for a few hours

So windows mining was differently possible

I think the biggest problem was/is network latency.

You can have a SUPER fast computer, but if your net is slow with high latency you will never get those solved blocks accepted since someone with better network latency already got their block accepted before you..

It certainly was possible to mine on windows.  I for one was mining fine on this terrible OS.

However one of my friends was not (as I've said in another thread).  So, it seems some small fraction of people have got pissed of because some kind of bug or incompatibility with some version of windows.

Who knows...

Like I said... no point crying over spilled milk---  Oh, look another altcoin has just launched!

Windows it´s not guilty of this, i mine other coins in windows and I don’t have this particular problem.
Activity: 840
May 09, 2013, 04:16:54 PM

You can have a SUPER fast computer, but if your net is slow with high latency you will never get those solved blocks accepted since someone with better network latency already got their block accepted before you..

This. Latency is the biggest factor, at low difficulty it doesn't matter whether you're putting out a couple hundred kH/s faster than the other guy if he's on a better network as his shares will get accepted before yours.
legendary
May 09, 2013, 04:12:54 PM

It certainly was possible to mine on windows.  I for one was mining fine on this terrible OS.

However one of my friends was not (as I've said in another thread).  So, it seems some small fraction of people have got pissed of because some kind of bug or incompatibility with some version of windows.

Who knows...

Like I said... no point crying over spilled milk---  Oh, look another altcoin has just launched!
legendary
May 09, 2013, 04:11:21 PM
Ahh, It's always the same....  A small bunch calling premine and crying about being late.

In 2 hours time there will be 10 new altcoins launched and new folks to whinge about those.

So. Fair play, but this ain't going to spoil YacCoin.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
May 09, 2013, 04:11:16 PM
Excellent conspiracy theories in this thread.  You guys continue to entertain me.  The reality is that you had to be there for the launch.  I was browsing the forums at 1AM PST and saw the launch of it, downloaded, and profited big time.  All you guys who were hours late and got caught out by the massive zerg rush can continue QQ'ing.

So which version of windows do you run?
Windows 8 64-bit.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
May 09, 2013, 04:09:26 PM

Activity: 896
May 09, 2013, 04:07:20 PM

What makes you think we even tried to mine it? I certainly didn't.
Pages:
Jump to: