Pages:
Author

Topic: Theymos's list of altcoins with some technical merit - page 3. (Read 33254 times)

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283
Thanks for compiling this list Theymos, I'll enable notifications on this post to receive updates Smiley

I really appreciate you explaining everything surrounding ETH especially, you've just listed all of the reasons why I've refrained from investing in ETH.
I'm also fairly sure that we'll see some more issues popping up in the future.

Thank you Theymos for this wonderful list, I would just choose Ethereum as it's older and it has a solid platform.
As what I have noticed, there's plenty of projects build under ETH so I will expect it to be more valuable in the future.

Have you even read what he mentioned about ETH?
Additionally, Ethereum ignored years of prior discussion regarding the safety issues of high-power scripts, and as a result of this and other design decisions, it faces serious security and scaling issues which have really started to become apparent as people try to actually use ETH for real applications. I can't see it surviving without major breaking changes or (more likely) an ever-increasing number of centralization band-aids.
Activity: 351
Merit: 134
There is only one provably secure PoS whitepaper that has security proofs dealing with every aspect which those efforts you refer to lack.
Ouroboros states clearly the tradeoffs required to achieve that security.
The requirement that most of the stake has to remain online at all times, informs that PoS does not function in the real world without an oligarchy.
In any power-law distribution of wealth, 50% of the money supply is held by the spenders not savers (i.e. the speculators who have no interest whatsoever in participating in stake forging).

Agree completely, having read the Ouroboros paper myself.
Activity: 568
Merit: 703

Okay, this attack is one I was unaware of. But this kind of attack should only be a problem if the participants are "slashed" for voting on the wrong chain (e.g. "Slasher 2.0" as presented by Buterin), but not if they are slashed when voting on more than one chain (like in the first Slasher version and also in Poelstra's example). In the latter, the attacker cannot create a history where another participant is double-voting and so is punished, so in this sense there is no ambiguity. The nodes should simply follow the attacker's chain because it should have more "chain trust" (or similar "score"), but in that situation he is the "legit" validator so I don't see the problem.

He edited his document to address Slasher:

You guys may think I'm a stubborn PoS (e.g. NXT) shill. But I may even reconsider my position on PoS - in fact, after I read Vlad's blog posts about the Casper history about one year ago, I already got pretty skeptic on it, or at least I thought it would lead to over-complicated (and thus more exploitable) algorithms. The reason I got more optimistic on it were several forum discussions where it seemed that all really dangerous attacks on PoS would depend on very unlikely assumptions (e.g. stakeholders accepting cheap bribes) because of "altruism-prime" being stronger than initially thought.

There is only one provably secure PoS whitepaper that has security proofs dealing with every aspect which those efforts you refer to lack.
Ouroboros states clearly the tradeoffs required to achieve that security.
The requirement that most of the stake has to remain online at all times, informs that PoS does not function in the real world without an oligarchy.
In any power-law distribution of wealth, 50% of the money supply is held by the spenders not savers (i.e. the speculators who have no interest whatsoever in participating in stake forging).
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064
Juicin' crypto
dlsag.com ($WBB) will > * shortly  Cool
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
Why not rename it a review of a few random "schemes" while insulting REAL "currencies"

Why is it legit to ICO / Premine a gimmick token of sorts ?

I should make "ass itchy ccoin"
The smart ass itching platform with a block-chain tacked on with a token slid in..
We'll be rich pajeets !

I came for a currency.. not gimmicky schemes (for profit)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Thanks a lot for giving your opinions about promising altcoins. I am very interested and looking forward for your reviews of NEM, Waves and Byteball. I am wondering why you delisted Counterparty. Of course, it is inefficient in some way and has not proven good scalability but it is the only and best option for making Bitcoin blockchain open for more use cases. I would not count it out yet.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG
theymos, nice to see Blocknet (BLOCK) on your interest list. I`m sure you`ll love it!  Wink
"Theymos" is now ignoring the thread he created.

Or perhaps busy reviewing?

I am very interested to hear his opinion on the bitbay market place and the design of the rolling peg.
Also on blocknets atomic exchange
I have always wanted a good review of cloaks enigma
And want to know what all the fuss about XBY is and if it is justified.

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
theymos, nice to see Blocknet (BLOCK) on your interest list. I`m sure you`ll love it!  Wink
"Theymos" is now ignoring the thread he created.
Activity: 744
Merit: 500
Activity: 336
*Grabs popcorn and waits until everyone starts promoting the coin they're invested in*

Oh wait.. that already happened? Shit.. ok..

*waits for the coinbashing to happen*

What? I missed that fun as well.. pff ok

Close this topic Theymos, it will turn into a circlejerk of coinshillers. mark my words

Why should anybody mark YOUR words? You aren't important.

lol, good one

*eats popcorn*
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
Glad to see some BAY awareness  Grin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=890531.5160

Check the BitBay thread for more info!
Activity: 378
Any further info on centralization of DAG based currencies likes IOTA and Byte?
IOTA has not worked a single day without its trusted and single central "Coordinator" node. As judged by the iota developers, it is not safe for end-users to turn it off.  From the DAG part, the "Directions" is done by the Coordinator, that is the entire "consensus algorithm".

When ADK tried to clone/fork IOTA, the main dev of iota claimed without the Coordinator, which is closed source, the value of ADK is zero. Source: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.20619797

For Byteball: It is centralized in that 1 person, main dev, is behind the 12 witnesses since its creation, according to design it is up to the the community/users to replace each one by making a conscious choice. The consensus algorithm is not 100% trustless like Bitcoin, but does require to trust that majority of the 12 witnesses do not conspire. Interesting and novel consensus design.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Thank you Theymos for this wonderful list, I would just choose Ethereum as it's older and it has a solid platform.
As what I have noticed, there's plenty of projects build under ETH so I will expect it to be more valuable in the future.
What's "wonderful" about it? All the glaring errors? Or the ridiculous scoring "system"? Or maybe you mean theymos's "rigorous" evaluations? Or is ur tongue merely trying to worm it's way up theymos's arse?

Lmao IKR
Activity: 1022
Merit: 256
Thanks for the assessment Theymos. We'll be glad to read more of it. If Bitcoin is 100 I was expecting Ethereum to be around 80sh. I scrolled down and rofl seeing 1. Much more when I saw Iota at 0.1. Monero Cool Cool Cool
legendary
I think the latter.
legendary
What's "wonderful" about it? All the glaring errors? Or the ridiculous scoring "system"? Or maybe you mean theymos's "rigorous" evaluations? Or is ur tongue merely trying to worm it's way up theymos's arse?
Activity: 1050
Merit: 529
Student Coin
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
So  you're saying that on a scale of 1-100, Ethereum gets a 1?
And nothing gets more than a 4?

Grin

I'm a BTC maximalist, but this is pretty ridiculous  Grin

Any further info on centralization of DAG based currencies likes IOTA and Byte?

legendary
*Grabs popcorn and waits until everyone starts promoting the coin they're invested in*

Oh wait.. that already happened? Shit.. ok..

*waits for the coinbashing to happen*

What? I missed that fun as well.. pff ok

Close this topic Theymos, it will turn into a circlejerk of coinshillers. mark my words

Why should anybody mark YOUR words? You aren't important.
Activity: 484
HubrisOne
sometimes, we are too superstitious in technology
Pages:
Jump to: