Pages:
Author

Topic: This is not a kangaroo court - innocent until proven guilty - page 2. (Read 6172 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
+1

Still waiting to hear why this matter hasnt been reported to the police by the principals.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
We don't have all the information, and I'd avoid leaping to conclusions until you know more. Personally I'm staying out of this as I'm not qualified to make judgements and adequate people are already involved.

Here's an extract from an article I wrote:

In 1992, Stella Liebeck bought coffee at McDonalds. She spilled the hot drink on herself and later claiming injury against McDonalds because the coffee was too hot, initiated a lawsuit for $1 million. She is the poster child for frivolous litigation in the US.

What I failed to mention is that the coffee was served at over 90 degrees celsius and having suffered 3rd degree burns over 16% of her body, she spent 8 days in hospital for skin grafting and required 2 years of medical treatment. When she asked McDonalds to pay $20k to cover the remaining medical expenses which her insurance wouldn’t cover, they rebuked her with an offer of $800. During the case she offered to settle out of court with them for $20k and later $300k which they refused both times. During the case it was found there were 700 other similar court cases where McDonalds had settled out of court.

Still waiting to hear why this matter hasnt been reported to the police by the principals.

They have to wait until their coffee is less hot.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
We don't have all the information, and I'd avoid leaping to conclusions until you know more. Personally I'm staying out of this as I'm not qualified to make judgements and adequate people are already involved.

In 1992, Stella Liebeck bought coffee at McDonalds. She spilled the hot drink on herself and later claiming injury against McDonalds because the coffee was too hot, initiated a lawsuit for $1 million. She is the poster child for frivolous litigation in the US.

What I failed to mention is that the coffee was served at over 90 degrees celsius and having suffered 3rd degree burns over 16% of her body, she spent 8 days in hospital for skin grafting and required 2 years of medical treatment. When she asked McDonalds to pay $20k to cover the remaining medical expenses which her insurance wouldn’t cover, they rebuked her with an offer of $800. During the case she offered to settle out of court with them for $20k and later $300k which they refused both times. During the case it was found there were 700 other similar court cases where McDonalds had settled out of court.

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

Actually, the 700 reports (not lawsuits) were over the previous decade.

The coffee was not served over 90 degrees, it was less than 85, and it is served even hotter today at Starbucks.

She sued for millions and millions in damages, and the jury would have given her 2.9 million, but the judge reduced it to $640,000, and the case settled for something more than a half million.

Courts since have routinely rejected the claim that coffee is unreasonably dangerous. McDonalds lost mostly because an executive came off as a jackass.
Activity: 530
Merit: 500

The strongest indication that one or more of the Bitcoinica hacks were inside jobs is that you, Patrick and/or Donald have not filed a police report.

Currently I consider the only unknown to be exactly who were in on it. Feel free to let us know how and why the source code got released btw, since that was the trigger needed to claim the latest "hack" Smiley

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

No informal investigation can ever uncover all the information.  If no formal investigation takes place, then - for better or worse - this whole affair is going to be judged on limited facts in the court of public opinion.
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
Arent you qualified to contact authorities, police, attorney, on the behalf of bitcoinica ?
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

Pages:
Jump to: