Pages:
Author

Topic: Thoughts from Russia on the block size situation and Blockstream - page 4. (Read 7373 times)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504
Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks
It is the wrong thing to do even if you have the right to do it.
It might be wrong because you've been taught that it is wrong. Until someone gets punished here for mentioning XT, there is no problem. If someone doesn't like it, then they are free to leave.

Cypherdoc's thread was locked after the discussion turned heavily towards XT.  A Forum Administrator claimed the reason for locking the thread was that it was too broad in scope, so maybe you won't count this as "punished here for mentioning XT":

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12199651

-snip-

Definitely, not! The thread was about Gold vs Bitcoin and thread was filled with XT discussions. You do know that off-topic posts are against forum rules, right? You are acting like a stupid person to support XT and you don't strike me as a fool, Peter!

Let me make my position clear:

(1) I view the block size limit as an anti-spam measure and I support increasing it.

(2) I believe Bitcoin's greatest point of centralization is presently in development and I support measures to reduce this centralization.

By supporting XT, I help push for both larger block sizes and help move us away from our dependency on Bitcoin Core.  

If another credible team forks Bitcoin Core into a third implementation that also supports larger blocks, I will support that implementation too.  

Peter, the way you're biting every worm Hearn casts toward you is very disturbing.

This newly created issue of "developer centralization" is completely disingenuous and grounded in plain ignorance. Of course I am especially tired of seeing you rehashing the same tired concern (I imagine that's how GMax felt when you kept publicly supporting the false and misguiding conclusions of your paper) so allow me to quote myself again.

You absolutely don't understand or are being willingly misleading about this "centralization" issue. There is quite simply no other choice but for us to support a centralized (read unique) consensus code. That's pretty much the only way Bitcoin works. It happens that the core developers have historically been the one trusted with maintaining this code and updating it. Several implementations have been built around this consensus code. Most of them have little support for very valid reason: their implementation is generally considered less tested and therefore potentially less secure than core implementation. Now should we blame core for attracting the most competent developers in the space? Would it be rational to ask of them to each start dividing their work between different implementations just for the sake of "decentralization"?

The centralization issue you refer to is nothing more than a lack of man power. That is, only a scarce amount of people are reliable and technically able enough to handle the highly fragile development of Bitcoin. It is no wonder the guys currently leading core are some of the world's most advanced experts in their own field. This expertise cannot be easily replaced or dismissed "because decentralization". It is absolutely unproductive and irresponsible to try to advance decentralization of Bitcoin development by encouraging incapable people to start messing around with their own implementations and risk breaking consensus.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
That's a good stand!

@Peter: I am not saying you shouldn't support XT, I am saying some of your posts which essentially is for showing support to XT seems a bit stupid and you don't strike me as a stupid to me.

P.S. Before supporting any clients, make sure it is safe by checking source codes thoroughly.
I agree, however what a group of people was doing is against the rules. Actually the staff let you guys off easy. Instead of punishing everyone for repetitive behavior (i.e. breaking the rule multiple times) they have decided to lock the thread. This is also off topic for this thread, and yet people are lucky (incl. me) that nobody is being punished for this behavior.

I considered creating a new sock-puppet name "Leonid Trolstoy" the other day.  Ultimately I almost never use the sock puppets I have so it was not worth the bother.
Please don't. The whole block size debate and now the 'blockstream is bad' debate has had enough of those. People need to cool down. Less threads need to be opened, and discussions should be focused in the appropriate threads.
Activity: 560
Merit: 509
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
It might be wrong because you've been taught that it is wrong. Until someone gets punished here for mentioning XT, there is no problem. If someone doesn't like it, then they are free to leave.

Cypherdoc's thread was locked after the discussion turned heavily towards XT.  A Forum Administrator claimed the reason for locking the thread was that it was too broad in scope, so maybe you won't count this as "punished here for mentioning XT":

-snip-

Definitely, not! The thread was about Gold vs Bitcoin and thread was filled with XT discussions. You do know that off-topic posts are against forum rules, right? You are acting like a stupid person to support XT and you don't strike me as a fool, Peter!

(1) I view the block size limit as an anit-spam measure and I support increasing it.

(2) I believe Bitcoin's greatest point of centralization is presently in development and I support measures to reduce this centralization.

By supporting XT, I help push for both larger block sizes and help move us away from our dependency on Bitcoin Core. 

If another credible team forks Bitcoin Core into a third implementation that also supports larger blocks, I will support that implementation too. 

I'm in the exact same position. I really don't understand why some people are so attached to Core. What makes it so special? Centralized development goes against every principles that make bitcoin a robust system in the fist place. Core = central point of failure until XT came into existence. No matter the outcome XT opened a Pandora's box for future development and implementations. I guess it takes time for people to accept this new reality.

That's a good stand!

@Peter: I am not saying you shouldn't support XT, I am saying some of your posts which essentially is for showing support to XT seems a bit stupid and you don't strike me as a stupid to me.

P.S. Before supporting any clients, make sure it is safe by checking source codes thoroughly.

* Edited.
The best guarantee we have is the ability to fork the code.

this really is the bottom line that is fundamental to open source coding and one which Bitcoin should not reject out of hand just b/c core dev spins a consensus mechanism as the ultimate goal to maintain control.

That's all well with us. Fork away and enjoy your authoritarian alt coin  Wink

Speaking about authoritarianism, you don't seem to give a bat about being under the authority of Core devs no matter what they could decide. Pardon me but I fail to see your logic.

I am not under the authority of any core dev but their historically reliable consensus development process. Its track record speaks for itself, having successfully ousted generally bad or harmful ideas out of contention for a push into the consensus code.

On the other hand you're trying to sell us into a top-down, outright authoritarian leadership of the development process  Undecided I know which one sits right with me and which one doesn't.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
--------------->¿?

this really is the bottom line that is fundamental to open source coding and one which Bitcoin should not reject out of hand just b/c core dev spins a consensus mechanism as the ultimate goal to maintain control.

Speaking about authoritarianism, you don't seem to give a bat about being under the authority of Core devs no matter what they could decide. Pardon me but I fail to see your logic.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
i'm pretty sure ppl can see who the major trolls are in these discussions.

I considered creating a new sock-puppet name "Leonid Trolstoy" the other day.  Ultimately I almost never use the sock puppets I have so it was not worth the bother.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

legendary
--------------->¿?
blockstream XT train:

Gotta agree with this picture...what's so hard to understand on that satoshi wanted bitcoin DECENTRALISED and it's the whole idea of it!!!

If the plan is to keep bitcoin decentralized by making Mike Hearn its benevolent dictator, then I think you might need to rethink your plan.

Benevolent dictator of open source code that any body can fork if they disagree with it like they just did? Really?

Forking the code without changing the protocol rules isn't a big deal. XT wasn't much of an issue before it changed the protocol rules (yes, conditionally, but even a conditional change is a change). If XT ends up with a big block protocol, it will be very hard for someone to fork XT and change the protocol again -- just like it's hard for XT to do it against Core now. On the other hand, if Hearn decides to implement more protocol changes in XT (and it's completely up to him), I strongly suspect people will be inclined to just go along with it.

Why do I think people will go along with it? I've been following this for a while.

Before BIP101, people were saying "oh, there won't be a hard fork unless there's 90% of miner agreement." Yes, 90%. I read that over and over. Then BIP101 came out and it said 75%. And supporters just switched to saying 75% instead of 90%. I won't be shocked at all if 75% gets dropped lower.

Then when it became clear XT would be released with BIP101, supporters were saying that Mike Hearn would make Gavin Andresen the main committer (or benevolent dictator). There was never any signal this would happen, but people (cypherdoc?) said he would "have to." Well, Hearn clearly intends to keep that role himself. Has this driven XT supporters away? Not that I've seen. They just accept it.

Would they accept it if Hearn adds blacklisting redlisting? If Hearn dropped support for Tor altogether? If Hearn added a condition that a block is only valid if the rewards are paid out to mining addresses registered with an official government agency? Well, let's just say I haven't been impressed by XT supporters being willing to stand up to Mike Hearn. He'll get whatever he wants. And you'll like it.

I get your point but I don't think Mike Hearn could easily make that kind of modification to the protocol and gain a lot of support behind. In that kind of scenario, if Mike introduce blocks that fits the agenda of a US government agency, it has good chances to be outright rejected by most international businesses and they will fork the code just like Mike and Gavin did. Also, what guarantees you have that Core won't do such a thing? There is none actually (I don't trust Mike as much as I don't trust Core team). The best guarantee we have is the ability to fork the code.
Activity: 136
Merit: 100
Get your filthy fiat off me you damn dirty state.
blockstream XT train:

Gotta agree with this picture...what's so hard to understand on that satoshi wanted bitcoin DECENTRALISED and it's the whole idea of it!!!

If the plan is to keep bitcoin decentralized by making Mike Hearn its benevolent dictator, then I think you might need to rethink your plan.

Benevolent dictator of open source code that any body can fork if they disagree with it like they just did? Really?

Forking the code without changing the protocol rules isn't a big deal. XT wasn't much of an issue before it changed the protocol rules (yes, conditionally, but even a conditional change is a change). If XT ends up with a big block protocol, it will be very hard for someone to fork XT and change the protocol again -- just like it's hard for XT to do it against Core now. On the other hand, if Hearn decides to implement more protocol changes in XT (and it's completely up to him), I strongly suspect people will be inclined to just go along with it.

Why do I think people will go along with it? I've been following this for a while.

Before BIP101, people were saying "oh, there won't be a hard fork unless there's 90% of miner agreement." Yes, 90%. I read that over and over. Then BIP101 came out and it said 75%. And supporters just switched to saying 75% instead of 90%. I won't be shocked at all if 75% gets dropped lower.

Then when it became clear XT would be released with BIP101, supporters were saying that Mike Hearn would make Gavin Andresen the main committer (or benevolent dictator). There was never any signal this would happen, but people (cypherdoc?) said he would "have to." Well, Hearn clearly intends to keep that role himself. Has this driven XT supporters away? Not that I've seen. They just accept it.

Would they accept it if Hearn adds blacklisting redlisting? If Hearn dropped support for Tor altogether? If Hearn added a condition that a block is only valid if the rewards are paid out to mining addresses registered with an official government agency? Well, let's just say I haven't been impressed by XT supporters being willing to stand up to Mike Hearn. He'll get whatever he wants. And you'll like it.
legendary
i'm pretty sure ppl can see who the major trolls are in these discussions.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276

then maybe you can explain why this troll take off thread on mine which has 0 posts on gold is allowed to continue?  it's filled with nothing more than anti XT troll posts:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/gold-collapsing-bitcoin-up-noonoopol-1091654

Why looky here; Cypherdoc (Generalissimo of the Free Shit Nation) is back from the dead!  ...and reincarnated as YAWLC [yet another whiny little cunt.]  Lulz lovers everywhere rejoice!

legendary
--------------->¿?

Cypherdoc's thread was locked after the discussion turned heavily towards XT.  A Forum Administrator claimed the reason for locking the thread was that it was too broad in scope, so maybe you won't count this as "punished here for mentioning XT":

-snip-

(1) I view the block size limit as an anit-spam measure and I support increasing it.

I'm in the exact same position. I really don't understand why some people are so attached to Core. What makes it so special? Centralized development goes against every principles that make bitcoin a robust system in the fist place. Core = central point of failure until XT came into existence. No matter the outcome XT opened a Pandora's box for future development and implementations. I guess it takes time for people to accept this new reality.
legendary
--------------->¿?
blockstream XT train:

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

-snip-

(1) I view the block size limit as an anti-spam measure and I support increasing it.

blockstream XT train:

One last time:

Does bigger blocks benefit Lightning? Yes
Does bigger blocks benefit Sidechains? Yes

Does bigger blocks benefit Blockstream? Yes!

Then why do they fight so hard against them?

The reasons the core devs associated with Blockstream have opposed proposals to raise the block size are most likely the reasons they've given -- the same reasons some of them gave even predating the formation of Blockstream. I'm assuming everyone has been reading both sides of this debate and knows what those reasons are, right?

I don't agree at all that Blockstream or the associated core devs are a "cancer" for Bitcoin. But if that's how the XT supporters really feel, maybe it's time for a divorce. I'd rather not be in a community with people who always think "evil conspiracy" when they hear the word "profit."
legendary

-snip-

then maybe you can explain why this troll take off thread on mine which has 0 posts on gold is allowed to continue?  it's filled with nothing more than anti XT troll posts:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/gold-collapsing-bitcoin-up-noonoopol-1091654
legendary
Activity: 966
blockstream train:

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

Cypherdoc's thread was locked after the discussion turned heavily towards XT.  A Forum Administrator claimed the reason for locking the thread was that it was too broad in scope, so maybe you won't count this as "punished here for mentioning XT":

-snip-

Edit:

intereting. I just looked at the last page and

http://bitco.in/forum/threads/gold-collapsing-bitcoin-up.16/page-5

accusations against Greg Maxwell.

Oh geez, maybe the almighty core dev isn't as perfect
as some people think.
This is interesting. While XT was winning, the attacks were mostly directed towards Hearn and Gavin (until this "censorship" incident occured). Now after XT is being completely ignored by the miners and the industry, people have started attacking developers from the other side. Here's a fine example:
gmax has this bad habit of lying and just making stuff up

After quickly evaluating the emails that were posted publicly, I do not see a problem (not he technical parts) with them? I do see a problem with making them public, unless the other party agreed to it.

I think that was the issue.  I'm not even saying Greg was wrong or right...just pointing out the possibilities
that folks have biases that may not be always accurate.

Your posts don't seem like you are pointing possibilities but facts. Please correct from now on if you are just pointing possibilities!

Huh?  I said maybe the almighty core dev isn't as perfect as some people think.
To me that sounds like expressing a possibility rather than a fact.

My posts probably just seem like facts because I'm usually on the right side of reality.   Tongue

Pages:
Jump to: