Pages:
Author

Topic: [TROLL] Important Announcement Regarding the Mybitcoin.com Downtime - page 2. (Read 12083 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
It's kind of ironic that the community doesn't trust Joe average to back up his wallet properly but has blind faith that Bitcoin related services will keep multiple back ups of their data.

Honestly, backing up your wallet.dat is not that hard. Anyone can get three cd's and make three copies. There is no excuse.

Being a business is harder because new addresses are created and you have to do it regularly but still, its nothing specially complicated.

For being so technologically intelligent, I think what you said is completely idiotic.  This kind of naivete only adds to peoples' reluctance to join Bitcoin.  Yep, everyone knows how to back-up a hidden file and recover it without risk of losing their BTC in the event something goes wrong.  Sure.  Sure they do.

Edit:  I'll give you being a business is harder.
Activity: 699
Merit: 500
Your Minion
I don't believe the OP is really the owner of the mybitcoin regardless it never will stop amazing me that folks who can build and design web pages are so incompetent they can't do what my simple minded, drunk, honky ass can do or they claim they didn't do.

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

Being a business is harder because new addresses are created and you have to do it regularly but still, its nothing specially complicated.

Being a business, just like google, they've got backups on tapes. There should have been an automated script somehow to backup every 15 to 30 minutes, then over writes every 30 - 60 days, then do offline backups every 5 hours a day. Storage is cheap nowadays.
Activity: 630
Prove that you are the owner of MyBitcoin.

+1

I have a hard time believing MyBitcoin had no off line backups of its wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
Hey guys, no use bashing him. What's done is done and it's not going to bring anything back.
I suggest you use the five stages of grief:  DABDA  (denial, anger, bargain, depression, acceptance) and move on to acceptance because the first four stages are pointless.

Well, that is if you believe the story. Im not saying its false, I dont have any indications that its either true or false.

But all these wallet.dat's being erased magically from all these services without the owners having any kind of local copy... It stings at kilometers of distance. What we should do is locate the keys where their funds where stored and keep an eye on them. If some years after they start to be moved you know what happened. Also, doing this would make anyone thinking on doing the same think twice about pulling something similar.
This worries me. These incidents happened WAY too close to each other. I'm worried that we're dealing with someone who's trying to destroy bitcoin, rather than profit...
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
It's kind of ironic that the community doesn't trust Joe average to back up his wallet properly but has blind faith that Bitcoin related services will keep multiple back ups of their data.

Honestly, backing up your wallet.dat is not that hard. Anyone can get three cd's and make three copies. There is no excuse.

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
But all these wallet.dat's being erased magically from all these services without the owners having any kind of local copy... It stings at kilometers of distance. What we should do is locate the keys where their funds where stored and keep an eye on them. If some years after they start to be moved you know what happened. Also, doing this would make anyone thinking on doing the same think twice about pulling something similar.

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
If this is not a hoax, claiming who he is, all I can say is WTF@No Backups/No Offline Backup. Just for my documents, I've got my stuff backed up on four different media.

Second that...and I don't have very much coin.
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
If this is not a hoax, claiming who he is, all I can say is WTF@No Backups/No Offline Backup. Just for my documents, I've got my stuff backed up on four different media.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
Hey guys, no use bashing him. What's done is done and it's not going to bring anything back.
I suggest you use the five stages of grief:  DABDA  (denial, anger, bargain, depression, acceptance) and move on to acceptance because the first four stages are pointless.

Well, that is if you believe the story. Im not saying its false, I dont have any indications that its either true or false.

legendary
Activity: 1092
Why would you list your email address as    [email protected] in your profile if you really were the owner of mybitcoin.com - as you would surely know that there is no MX record for this domain - so that email address cannot currently work?

Wrong, default behavior of MTA's is to delivier to the A-record if no MX is found.

I already tested whether port 25 was listening  - it isn't.  So it still can't work.

Yeah because port 25 is totally the only port you could possibly run SMTP on... Just because it's the standard config doesn't mean that's always the way it will be configured.

How would an MTA know about a nonstandard port in this case though?

Quite true, redacted. Of course it could be that the service(s) are no longer running since the whole mess is offline right now anyway.

The point is - the real tom williams would know the email is down - and wouldn't put that address in the profile.

oh.. plus what Magical Tux said.

I don't believe it's him.

Activity: 742
Why would you list your email address as    [email protected] in your profile if you really were the owner of mybitcoin.com - as you would surely know that there is no MX record for this domain - so that email address cannot currently work?

Wrong, default behavior of MTA's is to delivier to the A-record if no MX is found.

I already tested whether port 25 was listening  - it isn't.  So it still can't work.

Yeah because port 25 is totally the only port you could possibly run SMTP on... Just because it's the standard config doesn't mean that's always the way it will be configured.

Quite true, redacted. Of course it could be that the service(s) are no longer running since the whole mess is offline right now anyway.

Edit: Ignore me, I'm just cranky because I'm on call tonight and I'm now up far later than I wanted to be helping people that I don't really want to help through things far too complicated for them to be doing, even with my guidance... Just another day in paradise Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1022
I smell shit

This guy can talk the.talk but walking the walk is something he fails at miserably
Activity: 504
FPGA Mining LLC

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Ok, sorry, I shouldn't have posted too fast. We do not even have proof this post was indeed made by Tom Williams.

Still, if this is truth I would very much like to know how this could happen, especially after they claimed to be secure (see quote in 2nd post) so everyone in the community can learn from this, including ourselves.

That, in my opinion, is perfectly reasonable, and I'd like to know how such a thing happened as well. Herd immunity. Smiley

Unfortunately, no system is impenetrable, no matter how many security precautions are taken ... you can make the system pretty much completely unusable by trying, and there's still going to be some way in.
Activity: 742
A real mybitcoin post could/would be signed: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=mybitcoin

Deleted wallets would also mean copied and emptied wallets...

Very true, all the more reason to try to recover the wallet.dat quickly. If there IS still any balance, it should be transferred to a fresh wallet immediately. Balances and such can be worked out after the fact, we can deal with that craziness later, but if there is still money in that wallet it needs to be transferred ASAP.

It honestly worries me more that Mr. Williams apparently just sat there in shock for days instead of responding to the problem directly... If we're even talking to Mr. Williams at all...
Activity: 616
Mybitcoin was hacked from the beginning.

The hackers just sat on it.
legendary
Activity: 1092

vip
Activity: 608
Merit: 501
-
As for "being made fun of" just be the bigger man. All you do by kicking MyBitcoin when they're down is prove you're no better than they are.

Ok, sorry, I shouldn't have posted too fast. We do not even have proof this post was indeed made by Tom Williams.

Still, if this is truth I would very much like to know how this could happen, especially after they claimed to be secure (see quote in 2nd post) so everyone in the community can learn from this, including ourselves.
Activity: 616
I'm on Mt Gox's side.

They got fucked, but they didn't get completely fucked.

And even after getting fucked, they are still #1.

Big props.
Pages:
Jump to: