Pages:
Author

Topic: Trouble recovering Multibit Classic Keys - page 2. (Read 15205 times)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
December 16, 2017, 10:12:00 PM
@vamosrafa

When I was trying different passwords, I was getting "Provided AES key is wrong" only for a specific one. No other password was giving me this same error message. I then concluded that this was the wallet password, that Multibit was working wrong and that some corruption occured.

I was wrong. gunrnec's tool helped me trying more passwords combinations to finally find the actual one, unlocking the wallet.

That's why I say that "Provided AES key is wrong" error message is not related to what I thtought was the actual wallet password. I don't know where it is coming from.

Like many others, I thougth I was remembering my password and blamed Multibit when in fact, I was not vigilant enough to write it on paper at the time.

I hope it is clear now... Good Luck !

Activity: 32
December 15, 2017, 09:14:47 PM
To update anyone who care besides Autoband, I somehow was able to open a copy of a wallet that has the locked private keys in it. To my surprise there is a transaction from 2017 in June. The AES error appeared back in 2014.

I'm hoping that by some miracle I might be able to resync the wallet with the unlocked copy and restore the funds, but now I need to find out which computer it was sent from since I have opened it on several different computers and several different wallet files, with different versions of Multibit.

I think maybe one wallet backup is somehow not corrupted, but the problem was when I sent out the .005 BTC it did not display the balances with actual BTC in it.

It appears that Autoband may have updated the Multibit with the keys encrypted, (as I may have as well) resulting in the corruption??

December 15, 2017, 06:51:12 PM
So you had the "AES key is wrong" error or no?

If you did, are you saying that it was an incorrect password even with that (AES) error message, or did you have the cannot decrypt bytes message?

Hello,

Big news. The "Provided AES key is wrong" error message is not showing when providing the proper password, it is unrelated. Like many other users, I dig and worked hard to find the real password... And I finally did, thanks to gunrnec tool :

https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover

Thanks to gurnec for the tool (thanks bonu$ coming your way...) and thanks to Spockrates for providing the link.

December 11, 2017, 02:07:41 PM
Hello,

Big news. The "Provided AES key is wrong" error message is not showing when providing the proper password, it is unrelated. Like many other users, I dig and worked hard to find the real password... And I finally did, thanks to gunrnec tool :

Thanks to gurnec for the tool (thanks bonu$ coming your way...) and thanks to Spockrates for providing the link.
December 09, 2017, 12:16:46 PM
Mat008

It seems like spockrates was not getting the "AES key is wrong" error in the software, so it must have been a password issue. How this wallet was around for so long is unbelievable, with all the bugs Sad
Activity: 5
December 07, 2017, 04:49:45 PM
This seem to be a password recovery procedure... I don't see how it can help in the case where Multibit is corrupting some files. How many people are stuck with this problem? Can the old Multibit team do something about it? This is insane!

Well, in my case, what I thought was corruption was an incorrect password. But no other method would give me the "incorrect password" message.
December 07, 2017, 04:46:18 PM
This seem to be a password recovery procedure... I don't see how it can help in the case where Multibit is corrupting some files. How many people are stuck with this problem? Can the old Multibit team do something about it? This is insane!
December 06, 2017, 07:37:22 PM
I was finally able to open the file by using BTCRECOVER to find the password. It turns out what Multibit was implying was the right password, actually was not. BTCRECOVER allowed me to enter parts of what I knew were in there and it tried a bunch of different combinations.

Hope this helps somebody!
Activity: 8
December 06, 2017, 04:49:24 PM
I guess there are quite a number of people now experiencing the same problem. I have to mention I have been using multibit 0.5.15 on a mac. I'd like some confirmation whether others are using the same version and system?

Like one of you I base64-decoded my keyfile, which gives me a Salted__kjncisiflsjfnlkasnetcetc output. This shows me that the keyfile has not been damaged during the time I had it on my computer. And that the problem lies before multibit's base64 encoding.

The fact is, the script is trying to emulate openssl AES 256 encoding, but it might be that it doesn't do that entirely correctly. At the same time it might actually be trying to decode it correctly, which results in an error. Although I still do not get the "AES key is wrong" error.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that the 0.5.15 version is not on github. I thought it was there before, I might be mistaken.
December 05, 2017, 10:53:44 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry, that tread is pretty long and I'm trying to see clear... Can someone please help me wrap this thing up? I have very basic programming knowledge.

I'm having trouble with Multibit version 0.5.16 on a MacBook Pro running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

When trying to remove the password from the wallet using the proper password, Multibit is returning the following error message:

"Provided AES key is wrong"

When entering any wrong password, Multibit is returning another error message :

"Could not decrypt bytes"

There is a problem with Multibit since it will not unlock my Bitcoins when providing the right password. What is the solution to the problem ?

I've noticed that other users were experiencing the same issue.

I can't believe my coins will stay locked!?

Please help me! Thank you very much!

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
December 04, 2017, 07:12:01 PM
Considering that MBC is open source, has anyone tried to replicate it using the exact same code and password with a salt from one of these "bad" wallets? And using a key from someone who came across this issue but managed to keep an unencrypted backup?

Or maybe just running a script to keep generating keys, encrypting, and attempting to decrypt until a bad one comes up.
For reference... the code dealing with the Encryption/Decryption is here: https://github.com/Multibit-Legacy/multibit/blob/master/src/main/java/org/multibit/crypto/KeyCrypterOpenSSL.java

Interestingly, there was a commit (https://github.com/Multibit-Legacy/multibit/commit/b2dfb4b3f9a8e7305b737bf76b0176c4560aa25e#diff-479841ac9117242ee643ad7c13727b58) back in 2013, where the char[] was changed to a CharSequence... CharSequences are UTF-16, not UTF-8... I think this was in v0.5.9?

and another commit (https://github.com/Multibit-Legacy/multibit/commit/2d3f9cbcbad330920da0797ec0758fd4b0df5236#diff-479841ac9117242ee643ad7c13727b58) which fixed the padding for the encryption... which looks like it was v0.5.18

I'm not able to find a version v0.5.9 to download... so the only way to test is to download JDK and Maven and the 0.5.9 source package and compile it... which I am currently doing Wink

EDIT: And was unsuccessful... seems it is a bit outdated and there are missing links which is breaking the maven build and I just don't have the time to try and figure out my way around it...
Activity: 2
December 04, 2017, 05:39:31 PM
Considering that MBC is open source, has anyone tried to replicate it using the exact same code and password with a salt from one of these "bad" wallets? And using a key from someone who came across this issue but managed to keep an unencrypted backup?

Or maybe just running a script to keep generating keys, encrypting, and attempting to decrypt until a bad one comes up.
HCP
legendary
December 04, 2017, 05:12:44 PM
Would like a feature to input a file with possible passwords rather than one password. Basically run a dictionary attack against my wallet through the script.

I have a list of possible passwords.
If you're trying to crack the password, then maybe you want to try gurnec's btcrecover scripts: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover

However, it appears that the issue is generally not a bad password... or bad encryption... but bad data being encrypted. It seems that MBC has somehow screwed up the data when it is being encrypted, so what is actually being written to disk is effectively useless when decrypted... ie. Garbage In, Garbage Out... Undecided

I still have absolutely no idea what these 94 character "private keys" are... or how they were generated in the first place??!?  Huh

I've been unable to replicate this problem.
Activity: 2
December 04, 2017, 08:08:46 AM
I'm helping someone with a multibit wallet that was made back in 2014 and I'm getting the same issue as Autoband86 with the hex of the private key from HCP's script spitting out 94 characters instead of 64. Are there any characters within the parsed wallet that could be indicative of a corrupt file? Or maybe the number of characters. Maybe I'm being dumb but I can't quite figure out how the strings like "}\5\027\120\334D3" translate to the alphanumerical keys. (Yes I was being dumb, answer was earlier in the thread.)

EDIT: So I've tried importing all 64 character slices of that 94 character string (all encoded as actual 52 character private keys) but none of the private keys match up to the original address. What is the likelihood that an issue with the initial encryption led to it not even being the private keys being encrypted? Would there just be no recourse in that case? From what I can gather it's mostly likely to have been an issue with the encryption header.
November 30, 2017, 04:28:24 PM
I get this:

Code:
The private keys unlock failed. The error was "Could not understand address in import file".
November 30, 2017, 04:26:17 PM
Spockrates,

What error does it give you when you type in your correct password in the actual multibit software GUI?

Autoband and I both get provided AES key is wrong instead of the usual "could not decrypt bytes"

Thanks

And that is a MultiBit classic .key file?

Does the script generate a "parsed_wallet.txt" file? Does that file have some "encryption" information at the end like the salt and iterations and encryption type?

Hey, thank you for replying!

It's a Multibit classic .key file and I don't see a "parsed_wallet.txt" key. There's no information either.

Running:
Code:
openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -p -md md5 -a -in multibit.key -out newtest.txt

Gives me:
Code:
salt=2160B0AD6A6A5181
key=B0C5233E10A1227719077F3D5195ED45A5ABDEA796286F46120F2F86EF271251
iv =78A8C8A78F60194F0D44751683E1EC6A

But a file that again is jibberish.

ANOTHER EDIT:

If I run:

Code:
openssl enc -d -p -aes-256-cbc -a -in multibit.key -out test5.txt

Like it says to here: https://github.com/Multibit-Legacy/multibit/wiki/Export-and-limited-import-of-private-keys

It gives me this:

Code:
salt=2160B0AD6A6A5181
key=5340CEB7D94A3FE9754832332D9F3956B17B296E548FBCC85C74D4B658F72329
iv =BD773CE174D69C8716DB6264CDECD550
bad decrypt
20756:error:06065064:digital envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal_ex:bad decrypt:crypto\evp\evp_enc.c:536:

Though, I'm pretty sure this is the correct password as it's the only one that doesn't get the password error when I tried to unlock in Multibit classic. Instead it gives me:

Code:
The private keys unlock failed. The error was "Could not understand address in import file".

November 30, 2017, 12:18:47 PM

Does the script generate a "parsed_wallet.txt" file? Does that file have some "encryption" information at the end like the salt and iterations and encryption type?

Hey, thank you for replying!

It's a Multibit classic .key file and I don't see a "parsed_wallet.txt" key. There's no information either.

Running:
Code:
openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -p -md md5 -a -in multibit.key -out newtest.txt

Gives me:
Code:
salt=2160B0AD6A6A5181
key=B0C5233E10A1227719077F3D5195ED45A5ABDEA796286F46120F2F86EF271251
iv =78A8C8A78F60194F0D44751683E1EC6A

But a file that again is jibberish.

ANOTHER EDIT:

If I run:

Code:
openssl enc -d -p -aes-256-cbc -a -in multibit.key -out test5.txt

Like it says to here: https://github.com/Multibit-Legacy/multibit/wiki/Export-and-limited-import-of-private-keys

It gives me this:

Code:
salt=2160B0AD6A6A5181
key=5340CEB7D94A3FE9754832332D9F3956B17B296E548FBCC85C74D4B658F72329
iv =BD773CE174D69C8716DB6264CDECD550
bad decrypt
20756:error:06065064:digital envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal_ex:bad decrypt:crypto\evp\evp_enc.c:536:

Though, I'm pretty sure this is the correct password as it's the only one that doesn't get the password error when I tried to unlock in Multibit classic. Instead it gives me:

Code:

HCP
legendary
November 30, 2017, 05:29:42 AM

November 30, 2017, 01:49:15 AM
I'm having a similar problem and have tried everything in this thread.

Running the script on my Multibit key file generates a string of characters that I don't quite know what to do with. 72 characters long, lots of this sort of stuff:
Code:
WáIΦB

Any ideas? Thanks!
Activity: 8
November 22, 2017, 03:42:15 PM
Do NOT use Multibit to encrypt your keys.
Even it can't decrypt its own encryption.
I know because I have such experience.
You, the thread starter, are better off exporting the keys and encrypting them directly on your own, like using WinRar or any encryption software that you know to be very reliable (anyone who says WinRar is unreliable and/or untrustworthy, please state the evidence proving that is so).
Different wallets may use different methods of encryption and so decrypting the keys may not be compatible between different wallets.
Multibit is no longer supported now.
You have been warned.

Edit:
I was lucky I didn't uninstall my Multibit after encrypting my keys with it, so I managed to export the keys unencrypted, and encrypt them myself.
Or else, I would be in seriously deep shit.

How were you able to export your keys unencrypted after you encrypted them? Did you have the same AES key is Wrong error? Has anyone else with this error been able to recover their wallet keys?
Pages:
Jump to: