Pages:
Author

Topic: Trouble recovering Multibit Classic Keys - page 4. (Read 15220 times)

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
Well... colour me confused then... I honestly have no idea why your private key is decrypting as 94 chars which is effectively 47 bytes... that just makes no sense??!? Huh

Do you have a .key file at all? maybe try just running the decrypt_multibit_classic_keys.py script on the .key file...

Are you not able to open your wallet with MultiBit Classic and export the keys from there?

Activity: 8
Merit: 0
HCP, thanks for your skype!

I'm having Dad duty today, so only sporadicly online. I do have a parsed-wallet file, and it also contains an encrypted_private_key. There is also a salt in the form of:
encryption_type: ENCRYPTED_SCRYPT_AES
encryption_parameters {

And the encryption is also version 2
HCP
legendary
Sent you a PM with my Skype... but I guess you dropped offline before I sent it. Sad

Anyway, 94 characters?? that's not a good result. That sounds like something is going a bit wonky somewhere...

Does the script output say the following right at the beginning?:
File NOT Encrypted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keys are encrypted

The script should have generated a file called "parsed_wallet.txt". Can you open that up and see what it contains?

you should see things like:

key {
  type: ENCRYPTED_SCRYPT_AES
  public_key: "\0030g\351\227 ~-\370b\261 6\031\347\004U\321\331cFV\222HRD\255\240\255H\317\254\252"
  creation_timestamp: 1494035052000
  encrypted_data {
    initialisation_vector: "\201e\2700m}\217x+I}\235\237\356\201n"
    encrypted_private_key: "\2564\274\217\263Q\177\345\270\216\275]N\326\305\360\226\246\207B\033\225e\311j\200\353\014\016\205\355jn\206Q\366\023\306\303\306\017\267\2670\021\3501_"
  }
}

NOTE: DO NOT POST ANY OF THE CONTENT OF YOUR "parsed_wallet.txt" FILE HERE!!!

The pubkey isn't encrypted within the file... but the private key is... can you confirm that your "parsed_wallet.txt" has key{}'s that have type: ENCRYPTED_SCRYPT_AES and also contains the encrypted_data{} section that has the initialisation_vector and encrypted_private_key?

Also, near the end of the file should be some sections that look like:

encryption_type: ENCRYPTED_SCRYPT_AES
encryption_parameters {
  salt: "\355\220\310M\277UJ/"
}
version: 2
extension {
  id: "org.multibit.walletProtect.2"
  data: "\000"
  mandatory: true
}

Again, DON'T post any of that here... I just want to confirm that you have ENCRYPTED_SCRYPT_AES with the "salt"... and that there is the org.multibit.walletProtect.2 in there as well?

I'm trying to rule out a different wallet format to what I have seen and that the script is expecting...
Hi HCP,

Thanks for your reply, and your script! I ran your mod and it gives me a 94 character long output, which I guess it is not supposed to do. The error after that is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "decrypt_multibit_classic_keys2.py.py", line 216, in
    wallet = load_wallet(wallet_file, get_password)
  File "decrypt_multibit_classic_keys2.py.py", line 173, in load_wallet
    print("Privkey: " + bitcoin.encode_privkey(privkey, 'wif_compressed'))
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bitcoin/main.py", line 224, in encode_privkey
    return encode_privkey(decode_privkey(priv), formt, vbyte)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bitcoin/main.py", line 237, in decode_privkey
    if not formt: formt = get_privkey_format(priv)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bitcoin/main.py", line 217, in get_privkey_format
    bin_p = b58check_to_bin(priv)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bitcoin/main.py", line 427, in b58check_to_bin
    assert bin_dbl_sha256(data[:-4])[:4] == data[-4:]
AssertionError

When I run the script for the .key file, it tells me the password is incorrect. I was wondering about the password, but if it decrypts the PubKey correctly it must be the right one, right? I am afraid the .key and other files are corrupted? All the files I have give the same output btw, I have a saved file from when I installed Multibit, and one from after that. Another option I guess would be to decrypt the wallet.cypher files, I havent managed to do that with OpenSSL yet though, because it is more than 64 char, and my knowledge of it is little.

Would it be possible to decrypt the .wallet file and look at where the problem lies in the code? I have encoded and decoded a wallet file with the same password and name, which decrypted perfectly with your script! If I can put those decrypted next to each other, I might be able to spot the difference.

The output PrivKey I guess is wrong, but would it be decrypted correctly, just with a few to many characters?

I am using a mac btw
HCP
legendary
Firstly, sorry that my script is not working for you. I tested it with a number of files and never got this error Sad

This part of the error message suggests that the checksum of the generated WIF format private key, doesn't match the original checksum from the private key stored in the file:
AssertionError

Is the .key file encrypted as well? Can you open it in a text editor like Notepad and read anything? If it is all encrypted, can you run the decrypt_multibit_classic_keys.py script on the .key file with that password? Does that generate any errors?

Unfortunately, I cannot replicate this error... so it is a little hard for me to test and figure it out... Undecided

I have made a quick modification here: https://pastebin.com/Z2zfbwiv

It should hopefully print out the "hex" version of the private key after the Pubkey: line... and before the error occurs. it'll look something like (NOTE: hex should be exactly 64 chars long):

Privkey: 41e09d37764805f234d2d17995d1c8f6338243f413a374c8d8a8b1e002b5b67e

Create an offline copy of the bitaddress.org website (links are at the bottom of the bitaddress.org page)... and then copy/paste that hex value into "Private Key" section of the "Wallet Details" page and click the "View Details" button. See if it gives you the matching addresses or an error message.

If you don't actually get that big long hex string (exactly 64 chars) from the script... then that is the reason for the error... as the private key is not being retrieved correctly... which is a bit of a problem Wink
Hey all,

After searching everywhere last night, I have found several solutions to a problem I am experiencing, which don't work (yet). My Multibit Classic wallet is quite old, from 2013, using version 0.5.15, and I cannot decrypt the wallet, it rejects the password.. Apparently a common problem with the classic?

I have several rolling backups, a number of encrypted files, and a .key file, yet none seem to get decrypted properly with the password. I have used OpenSSL without succes.

Another thing I tried is a python script called Multibit Recovery by one of the forum members here. With the password, I am getting the Pubkey but not the privkey, it then shows the following output:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "decrypt_multibit_classic_walletkeys.py", line 215, in
    wallet = load_wallet(wallet_file, get_password)
  File "decrypt_multibit_classic_walletkeys.py", line 172, in load_wallet
    print("Privkey: " + bitcoin.encode_privkey(privkey, 'wif_compressed'))
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bitcoin/main.py", line 224, in encode_privkey
    return encode_privkey(decode_privkey(priv), formt, vbyte)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bitcoin/main.py", line 237, in decode_privkey
    if not formt: formt = get_privkey_format(priv)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bitcoin/main.py", line 217, in get_privkey_format
    bin_p = b58check_to_bin(priv)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bitcoin/main.py", line 427, in b58check_to_bin
AssertionError

I am hoping someone can make more sense of this than I can? Some of my files give an incorrect password message, some do give me back the PubKey but always the same error above.

Pages:
Jump to: