Pages:
Author

Topic: Trying to have more knowledge about hardware wallet - page 2. (Read 337 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
I've never heard about this before and also no one is talking about it, I thought only mobile wallets and web wallets have closed source...arrgghh who created closed source hardware wallets?
Its pretty much common knowledge that the most popular hardware wallet (Ledger Nano s) is not an open source wallet as we can see it doesn't affect them much since they are market leaders.
Activity: 229
Merit: 79
@Charles-Tim so there are closed source hardware wallets?  Shocked Shocked Shocked wth? I've never heard about this before and also no one is talking about it, I thought only mobile wallets and web wallets have closed source...arrgghh who created closed source hardware wallets? What is their motives? Seriously this information needs to be shared on here I bet very limited number of people knew.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
Hardware wallet is safer if compared to online wallets because its private key do not connect online. But it is good to go for open source hardware wallets because their source code is available to the public unlike close source which are not recommendable.

It depends, some make use of QR code for transferring unsigned transaction which may not even require PC, some make use of bluetooth, some make use of NFC connection which are available on mobile phones. But I will recommend USB. But I will mostly especially recommend QR code which is one of the safest means of transferring unsigned and signed transactions.

It is better to make use of secure connection from your interest service provider while also enabling Tor.

Reputed hardware wallet private keys are offline unlike online wallets, they are secure. But I will recommend open source hardware wallets.

Open Source Hardware Wallets

Still always be careful of clipboard malware, check and recheck the address you paste, clipboard malware can change it from yours to hackers address. Also be careful of malware generally and protect your device.
Activity: 686
Merit: 403
This question is for all hardware wallet users I'm just trying to know more about hardware wallet in general thank you.

1. What makes hardware wallets more secured for users? Standalone? Open source? Some kind of binary computing on first new users?
2. Do I have to connect hardware wallets to PC to send transactions?
3. If NO can hardware wallet connects to the internet using WiFi networks or how? Because I'm sure that Internet connection is a must.
4. Can a hardware wallet secure it's private key itself?.

Don't be annoyed if few on my questions sounds stupid atleast this is what this forum is all about.
Pages:
Jump to: