Pages:
Author

Topic: Turning off miners - page 10. (Read 36351 times)

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500
January 23, 2015, 11:06:57 AM
This increasing in difficulty of Bitcoin make me to Turn-off my Miner... Tongue Smiley Smiley

Bitcoin Difficulty:    43,971,662,056
Estimated Next Difficulty:    42,480,731,132 (-3.39%)

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty The difficulty is going down and the profits will go up as the bitcoin price is recovering!
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
January 21, 2015, 12:02:47 PM
This increasing in difficulty of Bitcoin make me to Turn-off my Miner... Tongue Smiley Smiley
Activity: 481
Merit: 250
January 21, 2015, 09:25:52 AM
20 kw per day is huge man.

Hope you will create a topic on that. I want to see this.  Grin

Go SOLAR ftw!

Solar is definitely the way to go if you can afford a $30,000 solar system. 

I’ve been looking into Proof of Stake altcoins like NXT.org.  Both systems have their issues but PoS doesn’t have the need for massive equipment and power requirements that Proof of Work altcoins need to function.  PoS makes more sense to me since people are invested in the currency, not the equipment & power needed to support it.

You might want to commit yourself for a few years down the line before you go about buying a solar system specially for mining.

Wouldn't it be simpler and more economical to simply sell the electricity you generate from solar?
If you invest into solar AND mining equipment, your mining income will have to cover the initial investment and running costs of both. I haven't done any calculations on this, but for me this implies a longer payback period. It's different ofc if you already have either of the 2 systems running.

I'd personally do an analysis for myself about what's better? To invest 30K (today) into solar or buy electricity (today and in the future) for my miners for the same cost for x days/months/years.

Strongly agree, based on my calculation, selling back the energy to the grid giving me more profit then mining, plus you don't need to pay for ASICs.
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
January 21, 2015, 05:57:58 AM
What is wrong with you guys? The Bitcoin has never been more alive. Just look at the zillion good things happening in the industry right now. Moreover, there is version 1.0 of the Bitcoin coming down the road, and then you will (finally) see how well Bitcoin is doing. Also, don't forget about it's temendous marketing advantage -- basically no one on earth has ever heard of the Litecoin or one of the other altcoins. Happy 2015!
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
January 20, 2015, 09:16:15 AM
Really nice to discuss with you. Full of nice points.
Activity: 686
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
legendary
January 20, 2015, 09:01:30 AM
btc is dead.

Why are you still here if BTC is dead ??  Wink
Activity: 686
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
January 20, 2015, 09:00:37 AM
btc is dead.
Activity: 476
Merit: 251
January 20, 2015, 05:21:18 AM

Go SOLAR ftw!

I’ve been looking into Proof of Stake altcoins like NXT.org.  Both systems have their issues but PoS doesn’t have the need for massive equipment and power requirements that Proof of Work altcoins need to function.  PoS makes more sense to me since people are invested in the currency, not the equipment & power needed to support it.

You might want to commit yourself for a few years down the line before you go about buying a solar system specially for mining.

Wouldn't it be simpler and more economical to simply sell the electricity you generate from solar?
If you invest into solar AND mining equipment, your mining income will have to cover the initial investment and running costs of both. I haven't done any calculations on this, but for me this implies a longer payback period. It's different ofc if you already have either of the 2 systems running.

I'd personally do an analysis for myself about what's better? To invest 30K (today) into solar or buy electricity (today and in the future) for my miners for the same cost for x days/months/years.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange
January 19, 2015, 07:57:39 PM
It wouldn't be logical to spend $10000+ on a solar system if its only for mining. Our quarterly bills here are about $600. A good solar system can offset this and potentially pay for it self in a few years. Its an investment I wish I'd have done a long time ago but technology has improved and prices have halved.
Activity: 23
January 19, 2015, 05:52:16 PM

I’ve been looking into Proof of Stake altcoins like NXT.org.  Both systems have their issues but PoS doesn’t have the need for massive equipment and power requirements that Proof of Work altcoins need to function.  PoS makes more sense to me since people are invested in the currency, not the equipment & power needed to support it.

Yet ONLY pos, can lead to holding and not using it as an currency.

Like I said “Both systems have their issues”.  Many people wish that more were holding Bitcoins now to stabilize the value. People want their currency value to remain stable not fluctuate wildly like a commodity stock.  

The current situation is a clear example of problems the Bitcoin network will face in the future. Miners only continue to operate when it’s profitable. Bitcoin value will always be tied to operating costs of people, equipment, facilities & energy.

Will their be enough individuals running long term hashing power to support network transactions for free when mining is over?

Will the system eventually transform into something centralized that will charge transaction fees to support operating costs?  Which would be exactly like the banking system that we have today.
Activity: 224
January 19, 2015, 05:46:33 PM

Go SOLAR ftw!

Activity: 23
January 19, 2015, 04:59:11 PM

Go SOLAR ftw!

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR
January 19, 2015, 04:57:03 PM

Yet ONLY pos, can lead to holding and not using it as an currency.
Activity: 1022
January 19, 2015, 10:37:09 AM
The difficulty increase combined with the price drop has me turning off another batch of miners. How about you?

What about in 10 days if the price is at 250$ and the difficulty will go down?
Activity: 481
Merit: 250
January 19, 2015, 05:11:03 AM
Ain't gonna lie, starting to think about shutting down, putting my wallet into cold storage, and forget about Bitcoin for a decade.

wait, so you've not used cold storage? lol you're too brave.

Well, I too have not bother maintaining a wallet in cold storage.  In the other token I am a professional computer tech and network administrator, knows how to keep my computer secure, I am the sole user of the computer where bitcoin is installed.  However, I do keep backups of my strongly 44 characters password protected wallet.dat on multiple media because hard drives crashes can turn to get outside my control in terms of data recovery depending on the severity of the crash - not taking any chances there.

44 characters password is basically impossible to hack or brute force. Be sure you don't forget your own password like the 123 bitcoiners does.
Activity: 129
January 18, 2015, 11:19:58 PM
Ain't gonna lie, starting to think about shutting down, putting my wallet into cold storage, and forget about Bitcoin for a decade.

wait, so you've not used cold storage? lol you're too brave.

Well, I too have not bother maintaining a wallet in cold storage.  In the other token I am a professional computer tech and network administrator, knows how to keep my computer secure, I am the sole user of the computer where bitcoin is installed.  However, I do keep backups of my strongly 44 characters password protected wallet.dat on multiple media because hard drives crashes can turn to get outside my control in terms of data recovery depending on the severity of the crash - not taking any chances there.
legendary
January 18, 2015, 06:28:55 PM

Go SOLAR ftw!
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange
January 18, 2015, 05:45:26 PM
I've sold two of my miners, both of which were not efficient at all. The reason for sale was to move across to two yukon or two S5 units. With the current value of BTC, it is still worth it if you can keep power costs down. I can cut my costs in half by switching miners.

My miners definitely don't run full time like they used to and I am finding my self investing my btc into mining contracts rather than actually mining.

If I get solar power installed in the next month, I will full time mine again(summer here and the system we got quoted for will generate up to 20kw per day).
Pages:
Jump to: