Pages:
Author

Topic: Unheated/Untreated ruby 1.27 carats with GIA report - page 3. (Read 21192 times)

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1000
Truly decentralized stable asset
This is a fabulous citrine from Brazil.  It has been treated with heat.  Since the ancient Egyptians learned thousands of years ago that you can cook amethyst in a fire to create citrine, this has been a very common treatment.  This stone weighs 6.01 carats and measures 11.86 x 9.37 x 6.93mm deep.  $4.75 per carat plus $12 for registered mail.

legendary
This is an untreated Welo opal trillian that weighs 1.62 carats and measures 9.68 x 9.14 x 5.65mm deep.  Beautiful stone with a lot of brilliance and an amazing array of colors!

This is a NO RESERVE auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162141622070?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
legendary
Before you buy any jewelry please contact me.  My wife and I live and work in Silom, in the center of the gemstone district of Bangkok.  We can source any stone that you desire and produce custom jewelry for less than you would pay to buy a comparable piece "off the shelf" in Western consumer markets.  Thailand has a very business-friendly climate, and because it is both a cutting and trading center for gemstones I am certain that we can save you money.  It is a straightforward process that starts with your idea for a beautiful piece of heirloom-quality jewelry, and ends with a FedEx or UPS Express parcel at your door!  We can cast in any metal that you desire such as yellow gold, white gold, platinum or palladium.  Because labor costs are lower in Thailand we have a sustainable competitive advantage.

You don't need to have knowledge of jewelry to get started.  Many people contact me and say "Hey Dave, I found this beautiful sapphire ring online- can you make one like this?"  We can find the right stone for the client's budget, then have our CAD artist draw an image showing how the piece will look.  It is then milled in jeweler's wax, cast in the metal of choice, and the stones are set.  At that point all that is left is the shipping.  Insurance is available of course.

We select each stone by hand, and our bench jeweler works to an extremely high standard to ensure a quality finished product.  If you are curious about the process please get in touch and I will do my best to fill in the blanks.  Making custom jewelry is neither as complicated or expensive as you think!
legendary
Just finished the ring above- at the last post to see it in the wax phase or the raw casting.  

legendary
Please also inquire if you are interested in blue sapphire, color-change sapphire, emerald, tanzanite, or any other gemstone.  I can source stones directly in the colored gemstone capital of the world, the trading center of Bangkok, Thailand.  My wife Melanie and I have an office in BIS/Warner building at the intersection of Silom and Mahaesak roads- ground-zero for the global gem trade.  If you visit tiptopgem.com or paragonuniversaltrade.com, it leads to my Facebook account.  Ask me questions there, or see my personal account in the comments- "David B. Fortier" and add me as a friend!  Most colored gemstones travel through a dizzying array of wholesalers before they appear in a jewelry store in the Western consumer markets.  There is no need to pay such a huge markup- you can buy direct.

Melanie and I are more than happy to supply stones with an independent laboratory report.  If you don't like the report that comes with a stone, just let me know which report you prefer and that lab will examine your gemstone and give you their opinion in writing.  Whether you want Tokyo Gem Lab, Lotus, GIT, GIA, AIGS, or any independent lab report it's never an issue.

Of course we also make custom jewelry, and Thailand's low labor costs and business-friendly regulatory climate mean you save money.  We can make a wax model of your jewelry by hand or we can use CAD (computer-aided design); we can cast in yellow or white gold, palladium, or platinum, and we can supply accent diamonds at an extremely competitive price.

Find me on Facebook and send a message if you have any questions about our products or service.  We also regularly do design and model work for small independent jewelers who don't have the capacity to make wax models in-house but need a low-cost solution and top-quality.
legendary
This 3+ carat ruby is from Montepuez mine in Mozambique, where virtually all fine ruby is being sourced since the Burmese supplies have dried up.  It is vivid red, and has not been treated- no heat, no oil, no glass-filling- nothing at all.  It was mined from the earth then cut and polished.  The included laboratory report is from GRS/Swisslab, one of the most respected institutions in the colored gemstone trade.  It bears the signature of the laboratory's founder, Dr. Adolf Peretti- a noted authority and author of hundreds of research articles on ruby and sapphire.  Please inquire for details.

legendary
If you are thinking about jewelry for this holiday season please get in touch!  My wife Melanie and I can make almost any piece of jewelry that you desire...custom!

Right now we have some amazing Zambian emerald, Mozambican ruby, and Ceylon sapphire in blue and many other colors like pink or yellow.

The emerald above is available; please inquire for details.
legendary
Pigeon's blood ruby is very desirable; in fact it is the most desirable color for ruby.  For a long time the best stones came from Burma but these are mostly mined out, and now the majority of very high-quality stones are coming from the mine in northern Mozambique, not terribly far from Pemba.  You would have a much easier time finding a Mozambican ruby of fine color than one from Vietnam.  Most of the Vietnamese ruby that I have seen here is pinkish, and not top color.  I don't mean to say that there is no pigeon's blood ruby from Vietnam, just that I have not seen any in the market here in Bangkok.

legendary
Activity: 966
In holiday we trust
You got very nice quality stones do you by chance have any Vietnamese Blood Rubies ? Can't find them anywhere !
legendary
I only buy stones here in Asia noobtrader.  My wife and I have an office in the gemstone district in Bangkok, and we lived in Chanthaburi when we first moved to Thailand.

I've posted many stones and some jewelry for sale lately; please take a look at my facebook albums.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153303961039370.1073741869.523524369&type=1&l=63dea91b6e

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153303999689370.1073741871.523524369&type=1&l=5c14df621e

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153303957294370.1073741868.523524369&type=1&l=375e6232dc

Feel free to friend me on Facebook; I regularly list ruby, sapphire, emerald and diamond as well as rare and collectible gemstones, and also finished jewelry.  My wife Melanie and I also make custom one-of-a-kind jewelry.
legendary
Activity: 1456
wow interesting thread...

btw do you buy stones too ?
legendary
Lots of premium stones on eBay right now.  I accept bitcoin for all auctions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/usr/paragonuniversaltrade
legendary

Beautiful gemstones do not have to be expensive.  If you would rather not pay tens of thousands of dollars for a natural ruby, this 3.30 carat synthetic ruby just might fit the bill.  $25 plus shipping.  

This type of stone used to be a rarity- a flame-fusion synthetic ruby with inclusions that appear to be natural.  Now they are becoming widely available and the process by which they are produced has become known.  The crafty Thai cookers have taken synthetic sapphire and quench-crackled it to create fissures in the stone.  Then it is cooked with a flux chemical in order to fill the fissures in.  The result is a synthetic gemstone that appears to be natural, even to many experienced jewelers.

If you would like more information about this process please feel free to ask.  Bear in mind that this stone began life as a synthetic ruby that was created in a laboratory, not a natural ruby that was mined from the earth.  The interesting thing about synthetic ruby is that it has the same physical, chemical, and optical properties as a natural ruby.

For anyone who wants to learn more about gemstones this is an exceptional example of just how tricky gemstone treatments can be.  Many people have been fooled by these stones...don't be one of them!

As a GIA Graduate Gemologist I understand my obligations to portray gemstones accurately, price them fairly, and disclose any and all known treatments.  If you have any questions about this stone just send me a PM on this forum, or go to tiptopgem.com or paragonuniversaltrade.com as both of these forward to my business Facebook page where you can leave a message.  Gemstones are not just my business, they are my passion so please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions about gemstones, or about the market price for ruby, sapphire, emerald, or diamond.  

legendary
That's a really good question grouper fish.  There are a lot of resources around but of course you will want to pick and choose to get the most accurate information possible.

Barbara Smigel is brilliant and her free online course is great:

http://www.bwsmigel.info/

That will give you a lot of information as a beginner.  It is accurate, well-organized, and explained very well.

I like this book a lot, and there is a newer edition that is a lot more expensive, but the old one is great and cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Gemstones-World-Revised-Walter-Schumann/dp/0806994614/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414846613&sr=1-2&keywords=gemstones+of+the+world

Check your local library for books as well!

Maybe the best advice I can give you is to take your time.  Some people jump right in and buy expensive stones before they are ready and before they understand the various treatments and how they affect value.  This can be a disaster.  There are plenty of very inexpensive gemstones that are interesting and beautiful and that have a lot to teach you.

It is fun to look at gemstones on eBay, but be extremely cautious of the claims made and be aware that some gemstone dealers have no problem lying if they think you will never figure it out!  Also remember that much of the information in the gemstone auctions is just plain wrong.  If you read a statement on eBay, try to verify on your own via other sources whether it is right or not. 

Most of all, have fun and enjoy whatever direction your interest takes you.  Some people collect only synthetic gemstones, and this is a great way to start any collection.  Get to know the "fakes"- the synthetics and imitations- before you invest much of your hard-earned cash.

Ask questions on this thread if you want; I would be happy to answer them.  Best of luck to you.  I think you will find gemstones to be a very compelling hobby that has a lot to offer.  It's art, beauty, science, and fun!
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
hi,

I know absolutely nothing about gemstones but I would really like to learn (and hopefully own a few in the future  Cheesy ). Do you have any tips or link on where to begin?

Thank you for a great thread.  Smiley
legendary
Hi Dozerz,

Sorry I missed your message.  Let me PM you...
legendary
Activity: 2214
Merit: 1057
sent you a pm but never got a reply, interested in the price list thanks.
legendary
Just ask if you are curious about any of the stones in the gallery and I will tell you what they are, how much they cost, and what the weight and dimensions are.  Just glancing over the pictures I see:

Burmese peridot

Pakistani peridot

Sphene from Madagascar

Tanzanite

Sapphire

Amazonite

Yowah/Koroit opal

Mexican matrix opal

Fire agate

Quartz with tourmaline inclusions

Quartz with rutile inclusions

Tourmaline

Rhodolite garnet

Prasiolite

Tanzanian sunstone

Blue topaz

Carnelian

Lemon quartz

Amethyst

Fire opal

Botswana agate

Mookaite (brecciated)

Spinel

Color shift change garnet

Demantoid garnet

Kyanite

Mawsitsit from Burma

Kyanite

None of these are expensive gemstones but many are very beautiful and they are interesting as collectible gemstones and for anyone who wants to learn more about gems with hands-on experience but doesn't want to invest a huge amount of money to learn.  Most concepts in gemstones and in gemology are simple and they apply universally across all qualities of stones.

As a GIA Graduate Gemologist and a person passionate about gemstones, I am more than happy to answer any questions you have about any of these stones!
legendary
I have a great number of collectible gemstones that I am closing out as my wife and I focus more precisely on ruby, sapphire, emerald, and diamond which are the core of our business.  And making custom jewelry of course.  But if you are looking for inexpensive gemstones, study samples, birthstones, or just really neat-looking gemstones then this little gallery might be your cup of tea.  If you see anything interesting, please ask for more information.  Some of these gemstones cost as little as $1 per carat.

legendary

We just finished some 5-diamond drop pendants for Christmas; please take a look at the album!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152529117359370.1073741840.523524369&type=1&l=359ba82732

While you are are there please add me as a friend!
Pages:
Jump to: